Politics

Christmas Tree

Ah of course, and here come the know-it-all, holier than thou internet geeks. If only we'd had a few more weak-knee, hand-wringing apologists like you lefty clowns throughout this country's history we'd probably be speaking German now. Try not to hurt yourselves in your clamour to get to your keyboards to come up with yet another obviously well thought return quip. While you're all sitting in your knitting circles smoking pipes and debating the merits of how to effectively ask someone to please not mug you the rest of us will just watch it all go to shit so we don't upset anyone's feelings.

The Nazis thought nothing of torturing and murdering millions of people they held prisoner. We thought that jolly well wasnt on, so we put a stop to it. That was the British thing to do. Can you see the irony in what youre saying here?...

Ah of course, and here come the know-it-all, holier than thou internet geeks. If only we'd had a few more weak-knee, hand-wringing apologists like you lefty clowns throughout this country's history we'd probably be speaking German now. Try not to hurt yourselves in your clamour to get to your keyboards to come up with yet another obviously well thought return quip. While you're all sitting in your knitting circles smoking pipes and debating the merits of how to effectively ask someone to please not mug you the rest of us will just watch it all go to shit so we don't upset anyone's feelings.

can you list the rational reasons for doing things your way?

I think you'll find there are quite a few German speakers on this board.

Monkeys Fist: "Getten ze bappsuns raus, mein Fraulein!"

:D That's far too polite. A simple "Titten raus!" will suffice. Preferably delivered in a comedy Allo Allo accent.

If only we'd had a few more weak-knee, hand-wringing apologists like you lefty clowns throughout this country's history we'd probably be speaking German now.

And who wouldn't want to speak German when it's such an attractive language?

It's Jeremy Hunt we're talking about. There'll be a reshuffle and the abortion-hating, homeopathy-loving law-breaker will be quietly moved on to yet another portfolio he can wreck. Democracy win! :first:

And mind I ruined a perfectly good pair of shoes on those marches. There should be compensation of some kind.

Good stuff from the Bank of England today for most of us mere mortals.

The new boss has adopted Forward Guidance and has advised that interest rates will not even be considered for change until unemployment drops below 7% (at least 2016 by their forecasts).

Also good news for the government as the Bank of England also up its growth forecasts from 1.2 to 1.4 this year and from 1.7 to 2.5 next year.

Good stuff from the Bank of England today for most of us mere mortals.

The new boss has adopted Forward Guidance and has advised that interest rates will not even be considered for change until unemployment drops below 7% (at least 2016 by their forecasts).

Also good news for the government as the Bank of England also up its growth forecasts from 1.2 to 1.4 this year and from 1.7 to 2.5 next year.

Problem is low interest rates increase the money supply and devalue the currency - at the same time reducing the power of your savings. Good for big business who like to borrow cheap not so good news for the rest.of us...Money loses value (buying power) but about 5% a year generally speaking,,,With QE and all the rest I reckon it's around 9-10% now...Austerity means poverty via inflation and so on...They need to get real. Increase interest rates which will hurt in the short term but will build a more realistic mural down the road.

Edited by Park Life

Problem is low interest rates increase the money supply and devalue the currency - at the same time reducing the power of your savings. Good for big business who like to borrow cheap not so good news for the rest.of us...Money loses value (buying power) but about 5% a year generally speaking,,,With QE and all the rest I reckon it's around 9-10% now...Austerity means poverty via inflation and so on...They need to get real. Increase interest rates which will hurt in the short term but will build a more realistic mural down the road.

You (and chez) were who I had in mind when choosing the words mere mortals :lol:

Us mere mortals are better off having low mortgages etc than a few points extra on our meagre savings.

Conservatives feel benefit of economic bounce

House prices and manufacturing help kick-start growth and Conservatives believe they are on "glide path" to victory.

Growing signs of a sustained economic recovery are putting the Conservatives on a “glide path” to victory at the next election, senior Tories have said.

Figures published on Tuesday suggested that after years of poor performance, the economy is finally starting to pick up.

The data showed that house prices, car sales and manufacturing activity were all rising strongly, prompting some economists to predict that a return to robust growth is in sight.

In another potential boost to households’ economic confidence, Mark Carney, the new Governor of the Bank of England, is expected to announce on Wednesday that he will keep interest rates at their record low for some time to come.

Positive economic data and signs of growing consumer confidence are also increasing optimism among Conservatives that they can overhaul Labour’s opinion poll lead and win a majority in the 2015 general election.

Many MPs had been privately resigned to the next election delivering another hung Parliament and a second coalition government. However, Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, has predicted that an improving economic outlook makes an all-Conservative government a “real, real” possibility in 2015.

“It is increasingly likely that David [Cameron] will be leading a Conservative administration after 2015,” Mr Johnson said. “We’re in the glide path now towards the election.” Labour’s poll lead is falling: a recent academic analysis put the average lead at only five points. A senior member of Ed Miliband’s front-bench team has told The Daily Telegraph that the party should have a “much bigger” lead.

Mr Johnson said that with the economy “coming right”, voters were beginning to weigh up the choice between reinstating Labour “after what they did last time”, or continuing “with these guys who are very serious, very sensible and have got some very good programmes for the country”.

Guardian

Who here is better off than they were last election? I don't know anyone who is. It's a simple fact that living standards ate in perpetual decline, especially outside the capital. I fail to see what feel good factor the Tories have to win them votes, although the opposition is equally pathetic.

I knew you'd post in this thread today CT, very predictable.

You (and chez) were who I had in mind when choosing the words mere mortals :lol:

Us mere mortals are better off having low mortgages etc than a few points extra on our meagre savings.

The money you save is worth less and all your other money is worth less. Would have thought people have learnt from the last house price/bubble/people looking forward to a life of renting saga. There is no quick fix this scenario...I'm not against easing the market but low interest rates and increased money supply hurts everybody, especially the poor.

I don't buy into puff pieces in newspapaers either with regard to the economy because the Tories are skewing the economy with regard to their backers ie the rich...As always.

Of course there is going to be signs of growth because it's coming from the very low base of the last 3 years.

Edited by Park Life

The money you save is worth less and all your other money is worth less. Would have thought people have learnt from the last house price/bubble/people looking forward to a life of renting saga. There is no quick fix this scenario...I'm not against easing the market but low interest rates and increased money supply hurts everybody, especially the poor.

I don't buy into puff pieces in newspapaers either with regard to the economy because the Tories are skewing the economy with regard to their backers ie the rich...As always.

Of course there is going to be signs of growth because it's coming from the very low base of the last 3 years.

I'm sure you know your onions.

At the end of the day though if interest rates went up tomorrow then that is a very real kick in the gonads every month.

Rolling Stones has the right idea.

I'm sure you know your onions.

At the end of the day though if interest rates went up tomorrow then that is a very real kick in the gonads every month.

Rolling Stones has the right idea.

They'll put interest rates up when they're good and ready...It will happen just as people start over extending (which they will cause they're monkeys)..And the cycle will begin again. The main game with low interest rates is so the markets can throw cheap money at the stock exchange...That's nowt to do with me or you...

Right now the combination of QE and low interest rates is reducing the value of your money by at least 10% a year..How much are you saving on your mortgage? Think about it bro.

Edited by Park Life