Politics

Christmas Tree

21 minutes ago, Alex said:

And the only reason Johnson thinks the country should tackle obesity is because he lost weight by contracting a virus. 

I know I never mention this particular grievance, but if the government really cared about people's physical health they'd have found a way to let parkrun restart by now. 200,000 people a week getting some exercise for free, thousands more getting the mental health and social benefits of volunteering - GPs even prescribe it now. But indoor gyms and the like make money whereas an outdoor volunteer-led event doesn't, so... :dunno:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I know I never mention this particular grievance, but if the government really cared about people's physical health they'd have found a way to let parkrun restart by now. 200,000 people a week getting some exercise for free, thousands more getting the mental health and social benefits of volunteering - GPs even prescribe it now. But indoor gyms and the like make money whereas an outdoor volunteer-led event doesn't, so... :dunno:

You can go to the pub though 

• Haha 2

@MeenzerIf you arranged an unofficial park run, through the exact same channels that park run previously operated, within all the ever-changing guidelines, could they stop you? 

I’m genuinely curious- what’s to stop it happening if, say, you staggered starts so that folk set off at a distance that they’d never catch the person ahead, nor be caught by the person behind? 
And if you did catch up with someone, just pass them ?

I share your befuddlement tbh- if we can go in a supermarket with manky bastards, why can’t people run around a park?

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

He’s a cunt by default given his job but that is a fucking stupid thing to say even if it’s what he really thinks 

He's also a rather shit Linesman 

On 31/07/2020 at 22:00, Monkeys Fist said:

@MeenzerIf you arranged an unofficial park run, through the exact same channels that park run previously operated, within all the ever-changing guidelines, could they stop you? 

I’m genuinely curious- what’s to stop it happening if, say, you staggered starts so that folk set off at a distance that they’d never catch the person ahead, nor be caught by the person behind? 
And if you did catch up with someone, just pass them ?

I share your befuddlement tbh- if we can go in a supermarket with manky bastards, why can’t people run around a park?

The main problem there (other than them having politely asked people to avoid using the usual routes at the usual time ever since the start of lockdown, and people respecting that because they like parkrun more than they like Boris Johnson :D ) is a practical one - parkrun works on a minimal equipment basis to make it as easy and accessible as possible for people to volunteer, so the timing etc. is all manual and everyone needs to start at the same time for that to work.

Anyway, the reason I finally remembered to reply to your post is because this morning parkrun have published this: https://volunteer.parkrun.com/principles/open-with-covid-19-management-system

Which is not only pretty comprehensive but seems to be more sensible than a lot of what the government have come out with for pubs and shops and the like. :lol: Although ultimately it's a very long way of saying "keep apart and don't spit". Which could already be asking too much of some of the runners you encounter...