Politics

Christmas Tree

I don’t know how anyone could’ve foreseen a lack of cooperation on the other side of the channel following our decision to leave the EU 

This could be a real fuck up. When the Dublin agreement expires at the end of the year, we're fucked. The French have massive leverage. If they want, they can just say "non" and buy every asylum seeker a dinghy and wish them bon voyage. Without the EU agreements we will have to abide international law and take them in without recourse, or become a pariah state. I accept the latter is more than possible like. 

I think its always worthwhile looking from the other persons perspective. We were major players in the wars which caused this crisis. The French had heavy involvement in the Libyan disaster, but other than that many EU countries did very little but suffered the brunt. I suspect we aren't going to get much sympathy. 

9 minutes ago, Renton said:

This could be a real fuck up. When the Dublin agreement expires at the end of the year, we're fucked. The French have massive leverage. If they want, they can just say "non" and buy every asylum seeker a dinghy and wish them bon voyage. Without the EU agreements we will have to abide international law and take them in without recourse, or become a pariah state. I accept the latter is more than possible like. 

I think its always worthwhile looking from the other persons perspective. We were major players in the wars which caused this crisis. The French had heavy involvement in the Libyan disaster, but other than that many EU countries did very little but suffered the brunt. I suspect we aren't going to get much sympathy. 

In addition to that all people who think the French should keep these people there would be livid if it was the other way around. 

• Like 2

LEGAL NOTE: In the event that this project runs into difficulties during the research and development stage, funds will be donated to a local project providing hot meals and activities to children from vulnerable families during the Summer Holidays in Essex”

:) 

• Like 1

Drop in GDP, Apr-Jun 2020

🇩🇪 -10.1%
🇪🇺 -11.9%
🇧🇪 -12.2%
🇮🇹 -12.4%
🇫🇷 -13.8%
🇵🇹 -14.1%
🇬🇧 -20.4%

We’ve already got the worst excess death rate in Europe. Now we’re on course for the worst recession too. 

A downturn was inevitable after lockdown - Johnson’s jobs crisis wasn’t.

Tweet from Annaliese Dodds.

35 minutes ago, Renton said:

🇩🇪 -10.1%
🇪🇺 -11.9%
🇧🇪 -12.2%
🇮🇹 -12.4%
🇫🇷 -13.8%
🇵🇹 -14.1%
🇬🇧 -20.4%

We’ve already got the worst excess death rate in Europe. Now we’re on course for the worst recession too. 

But but but...

EfNIA2mXgAAgMTA?format=jpg&name=small

18 hours ago, Renton said:

🇩🇪 -10.1%
🇪🇺 -11.9%
🇧🇪 -12.2%
🇮🇹 -12.4%
🇫🇷 -13.8%
🇵🇹 -14.1%
🇬🇧 -20.4%

You must be really looking forward to the dead cat bounce of a hard Brexit :( 

Some of the individual stories coming out of the results day are fucking awful. 

I've just seen some analysis of the Ofqual algorithm - they back tested it against the 2019 results and, on average, it was only right 60% of the time. And they just ran with it. That is fucking criminal. Here's the table:

If you look further down the above twitter thread, they have the equivalent table for GCSEs - that does even worse than the A Level one. 

I wonder how long before Johnson tells us that this matter is closed and we all have to just move on. 

Bloke at work has a daughter at a comp in York. She got accepted to Oxford. She's obviously a mad boffin cos she got predicted A* A* A* A, but only got awarded A* A A A. Not good enough for her Oxford offer so now has the stress of appeals etc. I mean she might have ended up with the awarded result anyway, who knows, but at least it would have been her fault and under her control. Instead, a computer has spat this out.

If the appeal system doesn't work, there's kids that will have had their futures mapped out ahead of them, that will now have them irreversibly changed.

I don't know how the parents of these kids are coping, I'd be parked outside of Williamson's house. 

It's a fucking disgrace like. As you say, people's lives are at stakes, in fact their whole adult lives.

I understand that most of the kids at my school have had their marks downgraded, with dozens missing out on their chosen universities and courses. The school was doing well on an upwards trajectory, but apparently they are including historical results from 5 years ago to adjust the results. Fucking tory cunts, just when you think you can't hate them more....

• Like 3

The porridge wogs apparently used the same algorithm but U turned almost immediately. Going on the pitiful recent history of this particular government I think the same might happen in the rest of the UK... Johnson is as weak as piss and can't stick getting heavily criticised. Funnily enough he's on holiday this week...quel fuckin surprise...

• Like 1

If you’re wondering how the Corbyn withdrawal symptoms are going for the Wolfie wing of the Labour Party they’re currently comparing pictures of Starmer & Corbyn posing with students.

Golly gosh, Starmer’s crowd seems really small & for some reason they’re all exactly 2 metres away from each other :o 

I guess they can see through the Blairite scum...

• Haha 1

I’ve come off twitter for a bit. The combo of labour supporters acting like fannies over everything and the takeover was making it unbearable. 

At the end of the day a “centrist policy”* that puts food on the table is better than a fantasy from the opposition bench. 

*Starmer isn’t a centrist but they tend to regurgitate things they hear regardless of any factual evidence 

I liked the comment about Williamson saying that inflated grades would mean people being promoted above their level of competence would make Alanis Morrisette's head explode. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2