Politics

Christmas Tree

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

The thing is that it obviously won’t be off. Unless there’s a secret Reddit plan to subsequently short the stock then surely a lot of them are going to lose money?

Though obviously it’s worth it from afar to see hedge fund cunts losing billions.

Yep - but they appear to have bought into the notion that bloodying the nose of the big guy is worth the loss.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

As an aside, is anyone following the Reddit driven takedown of the US financial market :lol:  Incredible stuff so far.

Some hedge fund shorted the stock for GameStop, which I assume is some soon to die video game retailer, and a stock trading subreddit took this as some kind of call to arms. The upshot is that huge numbers of 'average joes' have bought large quantities of the stock, thus exposing the hedge fund to, so far, $1bn of losses. It's now being covered across the MSM, Biden's office is monitoring the situation, and various stock trading apps are trying to prevent non-hedge fund buyers from investing further into Gamestop (i.e. they've made is impossible) which is pulling senior politicians into the mix.

The subreddit seems to think this is 'wealth re-distribution' in action, although they are also quite exposed here if the stock doesn't hold. And I mean, eventually there'll be some massive sell off - but even so, it's causing an absolute clusterfuck on WallStreet, and for that it's worth paying a bit of attention to.

If you think the Reddit basement bros are actually redistributing finance, think again. Silver Lake, one of AMC’s big creditors, just pulled off the “trade of the lifetime” thanks to them 

image.png

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Haha 1

I mean, they they think are redistributing wealth rather than me thinking it, you'd have to take that up with them :lol:

I'm certain some of them will end up having made quite a lot. Not all of them, many will lose a great deal - but some of them.

Edited by Rayvin

I love the reaction of Wall St to this, like a 7yr old having a paddy because the new kid is ruining it because they're not playing properly. Fuck 'em, fuck their slick back hair, fuck their braces, fuck their power ties, fuck their delusions.

Keir Starmer "supports Johnson's trip to Scotland" despite it coming just after us passing the 100,000 death threshold when it could be argued that there are other priorities beyond photo opportunities.

"I'm with the prime minister on this one," he told LBC Radio.

"He is the prime minister of the UK. It's important that he travels to see what is going on, on the ground."

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

You don't think it qualifies as an unnecessary journey in the middle of a national lockdown? I think it rather does :lol: 

Strictly speaking there's nothing he can't do from No.10 so should he just hole up there for the next few months? Honestly, five minutes in Scotland and they've turned you bitter already. ;) 

12 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Strictly speaking there's nothing he can't do from No.10 so should he just hole up there for the next few months? Honestly, five minutes in Scotland and they've turned you bitter already. ;) 

I would be very happy with that, yes. :lol: 

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2021 at 22:37, Renton said:

Also, have you noticed every time he does a party political broadcast or media event he has to have a scabby union jack draped next to him? Thus type of shite used to be the preserve of the BNP.  Welcome to Britain 2021. 

I was right, as usual.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/feb/02/labour-urged-to-focus-on-flag-and-patriotism-to-win-voters-trust-leak-reveals?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

He did it again in his pathetic party political broadcast last night as well, felt very much like I was listening to a tory. 

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

I don't feel like I can comment on Starmer doing this stuff really as it just seems like I'm looking for faults given my politics - but I do basically agree with Renton on this in full.

Having said that, maybe it's a winning strategy irrespective of what we think.

I thought Renton was the cheerleader for Corbyn losing votes due to the nuclear button/sing the national anthem shit?

If this gets red wall gammons thinking of voting Labour again then it's not that bad a thing as long as it doesn't become the be all and end all of the whole party strategy. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NJS said:

I thought Renton was the cheerleader for Corbyn losing votes due to the nuclear button/sing the national anthem shit?

If this gets red wall gammons thinking of voting Labour again then it's not that bad a thing as long as it doesn't become the be all and end all of the whole party strategy. 

I don't understand your first paragraph. 

What Starmer is now doing is pandering to far right nationalism. It's absolutely jarring to see, its counterproductive, its cowardly, and its fucking just wrong. I couldn't stand Corbyn but there's very little I've seen in Starmer to think he is the answer. I'm beginning to agree with Gemmill that Nandy would have been a better choice. 

Gloom got it right a few months ago...Starmer is Kinnock...if we’re lucky.

Trump lost the popular vote twice. It’s very unlikely that the tories will till 2029..unless they do something even worse than letting 110k people die, something unbelievably stupid like upsetting Rupert fuckin Murdoch...

Edited by PaddockLad

30 minutes ago, Renton said:

I don't understand your first paragraph. 

What Starmer is now doing is pandering to far right nationalism. It's absolutely jarring to see, its counterproductive, its cowardly, and its fucking just wrong. I couldn't stand Corbyn but there's very little I've seen in Starmer to think he is the answer. I'm beginning to agree with Gemmill that Nandy would have been a better choice. 

We definitely had a debate about pressing the button and trident where you stated (probably correctly) that old, northern voters wouldn't vote for Corbyn because of that issue. 

On 28/01/2021 at 18:37, ewerk said:

The thing is that it obviously won’t be off. Unless there’s a secret Reddit plan to subsequently short the stock then surely a lot of them are going to lose money?

Though obviously it’s worth it from afar to see hedge fund cunts losing billions.

Most interesting thing about it is that it's shone a huge spotlight on the shady and corrupt dealings of these hedge fund managers. 

I'm financially illeterate myself but have two close family (one a retired highstreet bank auditor and another with a masters degree in finance) who are both convinced this whole thing proves these billionaires have been counterfeiting shares. Fuck knows, something about these retail investors (the redditors, for the most part) almost owning 180% of Gamestop at one point while the brokers are all scrambling about to find the "borrowed" shares that the hedge fund cunts were trying to short.