Newcastle United vs Southampton F.C

The Fish

Newcastle United vs Southampton

Newcastle United host Southampton as the last game before the Xmas run of 5 games in 3 weeks. Palace, Stoke, Arsenal, West Brom and Cardiff. Now I know the merits/futility of comparing blocks of fixtures; however when you look at the team we have available and the form of the teams we are to face, you could very well see us stepping into the Transfer Window comfortably in the top 6. West Brom, Southampton and of course Arsenal are the toughest tests, fortunately the latter two (the tougher) are home games, the other three are all very winnable.

We will be without Cabaye and Debuchy will which likely see a return for Anita & Mbiwa respectively. Southampton will be without the influential Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Boruc and Clyne. Gazzaniga is as big a step down from Boruc as Elliott is from Krul and while Cork and Ward-Prowse are doing ok, they too are a significant drop in quality from Schneiderlin and Wanyama. I doubt they’ve the physicality to match Sissoko and Tiote and we should really look to bully the centre of the pitch as we did so well against Man U’s powder puff midfield. Lallana is without a doubt their danger man and must be starved of the ball if we’re to get a clean sheet. Osvaldo (scored an absolute worldy) isn’t likely to dominate our centre halves like Benteke or Lukaku can, nor pull them around like Suarez or Long will. So stopping Lallana is a must. I think Remy and Gouffran should start, though I’d probably give Ben Arfa a good 30 minutes or so at least. Shaw is a cracking attacking left back, but I think he and Chambers’ inexperience can be exposed if they face mobile, skilful players. Ameobi should regain his place, as Lovren and Fonte would bully Remy (or Cisse) out of the game and I think , while dropping him for Man U was the right decision, Shola at home is a different beast (emphasis on beast).

Away from home, most of their attacks come down the right so I’d definitely have initially gone for Gouffran and Santon on that side, however, with Mbiwa taking the right back position in Debuchy’s likely absence, I’d be tempted to give him the added protection against Shaw and Rodriguez instead. My concern is the Cabaye shaped hole. He isn’t just the player with the most assists, he provides the competence through which we turn defence into controlled possession and then into attack. Anita is tidy, Tiote can be a destructive force and Sissoko is a machine. None of them have Yohan’s guile, his subtle invention or simply his range of passing. I expect us to go long much more than we have been.

They’re on a run of one win in 6, and while that one victory came at home to Hull, they have met 3 of the top 4, and the losses haven’t been convincing, so I’d not put too much stock in their recent results. We’ve been impressive at home (4 wins from 6) and they’ve been shaky away (1 win & 3 losses from 6), but I still have concerns about this game. We’re just too unpredictable, they’re well organised, well drilled at set pieces and in Lallana, they’ve a real game changer. We’re missing our lodestone.

2-2

Edited by Tom

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newcastle United vs Southampton

Newcastle United host Southampton as the last game before the Xmas run of 5 games in 3 weeks. Palace, Stoke, Arsenal, West Brom and Cardiff. Now I know the merits/futility of comparing blocks of fixtures; however when you look at the team we have available and the form of the teams we are to face, you could very well see us stepping into the Transfer Window comfortably in the top 6. West Brom, Southampton and of course Arsenal are the toughest tests, fortunately the latter two (the tougher) are home games, the other three are all very winnable.

We will be without Cabaye and Debuchy will which likely see a return for Anita & Mbiwa respectively. Southampton will be without the influential Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Boruc and Clyne. Gazzaniga is as big a step down from Boruc as Elliott is from Krul and while Cork and Ward-Prowse are doing ok, they too are a significant drop in quality from Schneiderlin and Wanyama. I doubt they’ve the physicality to match Sissoko and Tiote and we should really look to bully the centre of the pitch as we did so well against Man U’s powder puff midfield. Lallana is without a doubt their danger man and must be starved of the ball if we’re to get a clean sheet. Osvaldo (scored an absolute worldy) isn’t likely to dominate our centre halves like Benteke or Lukaku can, nor pull them around like Suarez or Long will. So stopping Lallana is a must. I think Remy and Gouffran should start, though I’d probably give Ben Arfa a good 30 minutes or so at least. Shaw is a cracking attacking left back, but I think he and Chambers’ inexperience can be exposed if they face mobile, skilful players. Ameobi should regain his place, as Lovren and Fonte would bully Remy (or Cisse) out of the game and I think , while dropping him for Man U was the right decision, Shola at home is a different beast (emphasis on beast).

Away from home, most of their attacks come down the right so I’d definitely have initially gone for Gouffran and Santon on that side, however, with Mbiwa taking the right back position in Debuchy’s likely absence, I’d be tempted to give him the added protection against Shaw and Rodriguez instead. My concern is the Cabaye shaped hole. He isn’t just the player with the most assists, he provides the competence through which we turn defence into controlled possession and then into attack. Anita is tidy, Tiote can be a destructive force and Sissoko is a machine. None of them have Yohan’s guile, his subtle invention or simply his range of passing. I expect us to go long much more than we have been.

They’re on a run of one win in 6, and while that one victory came at home to Hull, they have met 3 of the top 4, and the losses haven’t been convincing, so I’d not put too much stock in their recent results. We’ve been impressive at home (4 wins from 6) and they’ve been shaky away (1 win & 3 losses from 6), but I still have concerns about this game. We’re just too unpredictable, they’re well organised, well drilled at set pieces and in Lallana, they’ve a real game changer. We’re missing our lodestone.

2-2

FYP

Tough game I think, I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw if I'm honest, especially with Cabaye missing and it being after The Lord Mayor's show.

Tenacious-D-Tribute.jpg

Aeris: "Write the best OP match thread in the World or I'll eat your soul."

3OXdy0Z.gif

Fish: "ok."

Newcastle vs Southampton

2-2

Aye, no mention of a late fitness test for the next match or owt though and thats expected return to full training so (assuming PR is right) he hasnt trained properly this week

Newcastle v Southampton Sat 3pm

Newcastle-United-v-Southampton--Premier-
This will be a real test between two sides enjoying a decent season
Ian Horrocks

Alan Pardew is keen to beat his former club, and fellow interlopers at the top end of the league. Newcastle are on a great run, and cruised to a win against Manchster United last week. They are a match for anyone on their day, and Saints' attacking style may suit United.

Yohan Cabaye is suspended robbing Newcastle of their dynamo, but Vurnon Anita can assume the extra responsibility, with perhaps Shola Ameobi recalled up front. Or Hatem Ben Arfa slotting in to Cabaye's No10 attacking midfielder role?

Pardew knew most of Southampton's youngsters when he was boss, and says they have emerged as brilliant prospects for English football.

Prediction: 2-1

AND CHANGE THE FUCKING THREAD TITLE!

Edited by The Fish

I would be tempted to play Ben Arfa in the role that Cabaye played last match against Man Utd. Hatem looked well up for it in his appearance against Man U, and he offers much more creativity than a midfield duo of Tiote-Anita.

Most sources are saying Debuchy will be fit to play. From SkySports:

However, Cabaye's French team-mate, Mathieu Debuchy, returns to the squad following a hip injury, while Ryan Taylor remains sidelined with an anterior cruciate ligament injury.

Edited by JonTheMag

We should beat Southampton. Fairly comfortably as well, given the sorts of teams we've been turning over. Also feel like we're a better team - they may be better managed though, so that could play a part. A banana peel of a game, but a 'should win' game nonetheless.

We should beat Southampton. Fairly comfortably as well, given the sorts of teams we've been turning over. Also feel like we're a better team - they may be better managed though, so that could play a part. A banana peel of a game, but a 'should win' game nonetheless.

Who's else has been comfortably beating Southampton this season? :lol:

We're at home which is great but we're without Cabaye who's looking back to form. I was impressed with these last year and they've improved since. This will be a tough game and if we aren't on our toes we'll regret it. I expect a close game with the odd goal deciding it.

Who's else has been comfortably beating Southampton this season? :lol:

We're at home which is great but we're without Cabaye who's looking back to form. I was impressed with these last year and they've improved since. This will be a tough game and if we aren't on our toes we'll regret it. I expect a close game with the odd goal deciding it.

100% agreed. Its easy to underestimate them but they are a very good, dangerous side.

I'd go with the above. :up:

Daft as it is Southampton are a dangerous side and we are getting better at battling for results. I'm hoping if we play direct we can disrupt them.

(although - old fashioned as it may be - I would play a 'keeper)

I approve of the thread subtitle change! :lol:

And yes, I basically agree about Southampton. Thing is, I go into every game we play thinking "this is gonna be a tough game, not sure we'll have what it takes" and just once I decided I would approach it with some optimism in order to enjoy it a bit more!

But if you're gonna be all realistic then yes, they're definitely capable of causing us problems. I want to believe we're just better through the middle though.

Edited by Rayvin