Xbox one advice

Kid Dynamite

Been doing a bit of reading today and heard that a few of the Xbox games are natively 720p as opposed to the PS4s 1080p. Hope this doesn't make much difference in the long term. Bought an Xbox as all my mates have them and I'm already on XBL etc.

Bought an Xbox one yesterday. Currently running it through a 720p TV. Am I going to get a better picture selecting 720p through the xbox or 1080p which I assume is up scaling? They both look pretty similar

The upscaler adds a sharpening filter, which results in crushed blacks, thus a loss of detail.

Killer-Instinct-Crushed-Blacks-640x353.j

it doesn't and tbh it's a bit back and forth atm, ps4 has games that are lower res too and both have games 900p

This is wrong. Just look at this page: http://uk.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_Native_Resolutions_and_Framerates

Assassin's Creed, Battlefield and Ghosts are the three big cross platform releases at launch and are all graphically inferior on the one. Wont go into the technical details, but will say that the PS4 is capable of running games in greater detail, be that frame rate, resolution, AA...

Nothing is certain, but most guess that cross platform graphics disparities wont increase over the life-cycle. So FIFA, CoD etc. will always look better on the PS4, but the gap wont grow too much. However, you will see significant disparities between the two consoles on their in-house exclusives.

So, PS4 is and will remain the graphically superior console of this generation, but the differences in quality may very well be negligible for cross platform releases.

You can play guess the console with these gifs of the graphically uninspiring Ghosts:

GHOSTXBvsPS_3_zpsb3735c93.gifGHOSTXBvsPS_2_zpsbb7dad00.gifGHOSTXBvsPS_1_zpsed0e721c.gif

Edited by beatty

Can't predict the future, but can use the current cross platform releases as an indicator. Aside from EA, whose next gen work is far from next gen, the cross platform developers have created graphically superior games on the PS4, whether that was from release or patched in. That is a fact and an indicator of what is in store over the coming years. I'm more than able to provide numerous sources that support that conclusion.

As for your point about over-sharpening. If you prefer your games to lose details and textures, that's well, an odd personal preference. I mean, I can see why you could consider sharper colours as appealing, but the filter alters the look of the game from the developer's original intent.

Edited by beatty

Bought an Xbox one yesterday. Currently running it through a 720p TV. Am I going to get a better picture selecting 720p through the xbox or 1080p which I assume is up scaling? They both look pretty similar

Haha, only just processed the original post.

Your TV cannot display 1080p. Your image will be at 720p regardless of what you set your one to output at.