Newcastle United v Arsenal

JonTheMag

Their defence is susceptible to breakaway attacks, so you'd want someone who is more attack-minded who can start things from nothing ala HBA.

I'd want Sissoko in too - him and Ben Arfa knocking the ball past Arsenal's pressing game could lead to a few breakaways.

Big emphasis on nullifying Walcott though, as he tends to run rampant against us far too often. He's come back strong from being out injured too.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good rule of thumb is "It's never worth startingShola".

:lol: Fair point.

it's not so much cover in a situation like this though as it is an extra defender, because it's not tracking back if he's never going to get forward.

you need the likes of tiote to disrupt, and someone like sissoko who has the brawn to muscle the creative midgets off the ball and the pace to get it forward to give us some breathing room, cabaye to float the ball to someone to get us back up the pitch,

then you need a Ben Arfa, the one man we have who can tie up 2-3 world class players in anyside, and against arsenal you can't rely on speed to do that (Gouffran) because their wingers are faster and their fullbacks are no slouches either,

you need technique and guile, someone clever enough to drop the shoulder and take two people out of the game or know when to turn their back/guard it with a leg to win a freekick, Goufran doesn't have that in his locker.

Yesterday was a prime example, you get 2-3 defenders, playing in the top league just standing tied up waiting to see what they or he does because they're not sure how to handle him.

Aye, maybe, I still think we're more defensively solid with Gouffran than we are with HBA and yeah, against any other side (bar City and Liverpool) I'd start HBA every time.

It's the movement and fluidity that worries me. Against Chelsea, Man U and Spurs the same game plan paid dividends. Soak up the pressure for 60 minutes, then attack with more freedom. HBA is likely to drift out of the game rather than graft the way that someone like Gouffran does and while, yes Ben Arfa would provide a more capable outlet, he's just as likely to go the 1st half without seeing the ball at all. If YG is told to occupy space to make it harder for Arsenal's mobile forwards to pass around the defenders, he'll do it and do it to a decent standard. If HBA is told the same he may well sporadically chase a loose ball, or pick it up and burst past 1 or two of them, but he's also likely to fail to take the two sidesteps that cuts out the pass, or follow the runner into the box.

Anyone but Arsenal and I'm fully in agreement with you, but with their movement? Not so much.

I don't feel too optimistic about this one but my hopes are high seeing we are at home.

I would start with:-

Krul

Debuchy - Willo - Colo - Santon

Sissoko - Cabaye - Tiote

BenArfa - Remy - Gouffran

The painful truth is Ben Arfa is too inconsistent to start every game. This is exactly why he isn't starting every game!

Against Stokes 11 he played some good passes. Against Stokes 9 they were run ragged and he got a lot more freedom and managed to get the mazy dribbles in.

As the poem goes.....

When he's good he's very good indeed, but when he's bad he's horrid".

I'd go 433 for this I think.

Krul

Debuchy Williamson Colochini Haidara

Anita Tiote Cabaye

Sisokko Remy Gouffran

I wouldn't have Remy in the middle, he's not a player that can hold the ball well or have his back to a defender. Definitely more affective on the right.

Shame to have such a coloured view of a player that you can't even enjoy their moments of magic.

Ben Arfa is always shit apart from when he's good.

Posted Image

I have the same view as the manager and most sensible fans.

When he pulls it off its a joy to watch, when he doesn't he's a liability that loses possession and forgets to pass.

It's no coincidence that Debuchys form has sky rocketed with Ben Arfas absence.

People saying he should start every game are stupid.

I wouldn't have Remy in the middle, he's not a player that can hold the ball well or have his back to a defender. Definitely more affective on the right.

At his best on the left IMO

When he pulls it off its a joy to watch, when he doesn't he's a liability that loses possession and forgets to pass.

Typed about 10 responses to that and ended up erasing them each time because I dont know where to start and end. In short, I think thats the sort of mindset responsible for the England team lagging miles behind some of their European rivals.

Typed about 10 responses to that and ended up erasing them each time because I dont know where to start and end. In short, I think thats the sort of mindset responsible for the England team lagging miles behind some of their European rivals.

The thing is listening to some of you talk about Ben Arfa is like you only remember the good moments.

All fans love it when they come off and all fans would love him to deliver those displays week in week out but no matter how many times Ant post :CT: it doesn't mean I'm wrong.

He is very inconsistent.

As for Debuchy he looks a different player without Ben Arfa ahead of him. He knows what Sissoko or Gouffran will do, not only defensively but also going forward.

With Ben Arfa he has no idea. Should he overlap, wait back, cut in????

What makes HBA dizzy (at times) for the opposition, also makes our own lads dizzy.

This doesn't mean I dis like Ben Arfa, I'm just realistic about how consistent he is and how the team has performed without him.

:CT:

Most sensible fans. Aye righto. :lol:

The thing is listening to some of you talk about Ben Arfa is like you only remember the good moments.

And the way you go on about him its as if none of the others ever misplace a pass or make a bad decision, or go on a poor run of form.

Flair players have their frustrating moments. That ability to turn the game on its head in a moment is what makes them valuable though. Its also keeps opponents wary, and the threat can often prove to be a more effective safeguard than simply putting people behind the ball.

And the way you go on about him its as if none of the others ever misplace a pass or make a bad decision, or go on a poor run of form.

Flair players have their frustrating moments. That ability to turn the game on its head in a moment is what makes them valuable though. Its also keeps opponents wary, and the threat can often prove to be a more effective safeguard than simply putting people behind the ball.

You do understand though how successful we have been since he was dropped?

You do understand though how successful we have been since he was dropped?

And that negates any of the points I made, how?

Massive assumption to draw the correlation between the two. Fits in well with your Debuchy theory though.

My neighbour's freaking dog has been making a lot less of a racket since Ben Arfa was dropped. And the rupee has picked up considerably against the dollar. Keep the bastard out.

And that negates any of the points I made, how?

Massive assumption to draw the correlation between the two. Fits in well with your Debuchy theory though.

My neighbour's freaking dog has been making a lot less of a racket since Ben Arfa was dropped. And the rupee has picked up considerably against the dollar. Keep the bastard out.

:lol:

I think bringing Ben Arfa on after 60/70 minutes is the better option then just let him loose to run at the opposition I also think starting with a front 2 of Remy & Shola is the way to go for now.