Only in America

The Fish

The people vs DesmondTutu is one of the worst long running feuds in the history of this board in terms of entertainment.

Either everyone ups their game NOW or you all make friends and stop this silliness. Now.

How long would it last?

The people vs DesmondTutu is one of the worst long running feuds in the history of this board in terms of entertainment.

Either everyone ups their game NOW or you all make friends and stop this silliness. Now.

:lol: it does all seem very half-hearted. We should get that Gene guy back to show them how it's done.

Just checked. It looks like the average single person pays roughly $100 per month. That's a huge amount. Those with pre existing conditions are taken to the cleaners by all accounts. God bless the nhs

I pay £54 for mine so it's not a kick in the arse off what they pay, but aye amazing that for all their bluster the land of the free etc they can't even give their own citizens free healthcare

Does that come out before or after tax?

I pay £54 for mine so it's not a kick in the arse off what they pay, but aye amazing that for all their bluster the land of the free etc they can't even give their own citizens free healthcare

Instead they screw them into the ground from all angles. Freedom an all that....:lol:

Just checked. It looks like the average single person pays roughly $100 per month. That's a huge amount. Those with pre existing conditions are taken to the cleaners by all accounts. God bless the nhs

Have you missed a digit out? That sounds incredibly cheap to me for a country that is spending close to 20% of it's GDP on healthcare.

270m people in the is have insurance.

At $100 a month each that is $324000m.

I don't even know what that number is, but it sounds pretty big... Every year.

Nowhere near 20% GDP. I suspect I pay at least 70 quid a month on health through taxation, and our proportion of GDP is half the Americans. Plus loads Americans are uninsured so not sure where your figure is from. Bottoming is 20 quid a week for healthcare is a bargain.

50m uninsured apparently.

You're right. It would be out by a factor of 10 so I assume the bigger business and family plans ate much better and more expensive.

Watching the daily show last night they had a clip of someone using the website and it said their monthly bill was $130. Maybe the shittiest of the shittest plan.

Have you missed a digit out? That sounds incredibly cheap to me for a country that is spending close to 20% of it's GDP on healthcare.

It's much more expensive than that and some things are never covered and just try and get care for longer periods. Health insurance in america is a con...And congress are in the pockets of insurance companies.

It's a crimianl shame - :-

The U.S. Census Bureau reported that 49.9 million residents, 16.3% of the population, were uninsured in 2010 (up from 49.0 million residents, 16.1% of the population, in 2009).[15][16] According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the United States spent more on health care per capita ($7,146), and more on health care as percentage of its GDP (15.2%), than any other nation in 2008.[17] The United States had the fourth highest level of government health care spending per capita ($3,426), behind three countries with higher levels of GDP per capita: Monaco, Luxembourg, and Norway.[17] A 2001 study in five states found that medical debt contributed to 46.2% of all personal bankruptcies and in 2007, 62.1% of filers for bankruptcies claimed high medical expenses.[18] Since then, health costs and the numbers of uninsured and underinsured have increased.[19] A 2013 study found that about 25% of all senior citizens declare bankruptcy due to medical expenses.[10]

I work for an American firm and having medical cover is compulsory. They boost our salary to cover the monthly cost, but there's a deduction of £120 per month taken out. That's getting on for $200 a month.

Jesus, really?

$2,400 a year

So, if you were earning £25,500 then roughly £1,094 would go to the NHS. This is full cover, that ignores previous conditions and any dangerous activities.

Why isn't this explained to Americans in just those terms?

Very true but that execution was disturbing. The chemicals used are supposed to be for treating severe medical conditions; I read that it takes 100 times the dosage to kill someone than it does for treating patients. So they considered killing this guy to be worth 100 treatments to sick Americans.

They're running out of drugs because the EU won't sell them any that can be used to kill people. What happens then? What about the people who need this medication?

That's to say nothing of the morals of state sanctioned murder.

No, the point is that they will no longer sell them for the purpose of executions, otherwise the EU would prevent their sale. They're still available for treatment of patients as long as they don't sell it for use in lethal injections.

Personally I disagree with the death penalty but if they're going to insist upon it then I'm not going to lose too much sleep on a scummy murderer and rapist spending 25 minutes in agony before it finishes him off. In fact it should be encouraged.

No, the point is that they will no longer sell them for the purpose of executions, otherwise the EU would prevent their sale. They're still available for treatment of patients as long as they don't sell it for use in lethal injections.

Personally I disagree with the death penalty but if they're going to insist upon it then I'm not going to lose too much sleep on a scummy murderer and rapist spending 25 minutes in agony before it finishes him off. In fact it should be encouraged.

Ah ok - but still, they appear to be scrambling around for anything that'll do the job now which will deplete supplies elsewhere.

I just find it abhorrent, it's entirely about revenge and I don't think that justice ever should be. I understand that emotions run high and that a lot of the people who die do a lot of awful things but I just can't square with it. Brings us down to their level IMO.

Ah ok - but still, they appear to be scrambling around for anything that'll do the job now which will deplete supplies elsewhere.

I just find it abhorrent, it's entirely about revenge and I don't think that justice ever should be. I understand that emotions run high and that a lot of the people who die do a lot of awful things but I just can't square with it. Brings us down to their level IMO.

Agreed.

America is all about the old gods, too much religion and too much guns, with a culture hell bent on destroying itself. Highest prison population in the world iirc.

Edited by Park Life