Only in America

The Fish

Like everything else they've turned prison and rehab into a business run by private companies which is in itself sick. When private companies make billions out of crime the system is fucked imo.

The ex-MrsP did work in South Carolina on death row and her stories were harrowing. Quite a few had low IQ's bordering on mental handicap or couldn't read and write or had a poor understanding of what was happening to them. Many had been kicked through the legal system in such a speedy manner it was questionable with regard to their legal rights and so on...She reckoned half the people on death row had such mitigating circumstances that in the UK the process would have been deemed illegal.

Edited by Park Life

Yeah it would be, also likely the quickest - which makes me wonder why firing squad is deemed 'not appropriate' and 25 minute chemically induced deaths are ok.

And Parky, yes, I would have a lot of concern about a justice system run by private corporations. We're starting to see that over here now as well and it's just open to abuse. What happens if the 'just' action isn't profitable?

Yeah it would be, also likely the quickest - which makes me wonder why firing squad is deemed 'not appropriate' and 25 minute chemically induced deaths are ok.

And Parky, yes, I would have a lot of concern about a justice system run by private corporations. We're starting to see that over here now as well and it's just open to abuse. What happens if the 'just' action isn't profitable?

It's worse than that. In the Southern states politicians would get an election bump if they started killing blacks come election time... :lol: She nearly quit the law she was that depressed when she got back.

Edited by Park Life

Seriously? I can't quite believe that sorry... Or I just don't want to.

She was doing pro-bono on death row. She said there was a flurry to start executing those on stays when election time was coming around and the incumbent politicians needed a popularity boost. I have no reason to doubt her tbh. Frankly from what I could gather half those on death row shouldn't really have been there, they barely had any understanding of the legal process and a couple had reading and writing skills of 7 year olds.

Edited by Park Life

As was the case in Illinois, many inmates were released from Death Row on evidence of prosecutorial errors, lying by witnesses or confessions by others. Last year, 75 percent of the Florida death penalty cases brought before an appeals court were overturned.

pixel.gif
pixel.gif

While Illinois Gov. George Ryan has issued a moratorium on executions, Florida's Legislature is moving to limit appeals.

Last month, under pressure from Gov. Jeb Bush, legislators in a three-day special session passed the Death Penalty Reform Act of 2000, a law to limit appeals from Death Row inmates. Its aim is to allow the execution of Death Row inmates within five years of sentencing.

"What I hope is that we become like Texas," said Brad Thomas, a policy adviser to Bush, at the time the legislation was passed. "Put them on a gurney and let's rock and roll." He later apologized for the remark.

The governor says the law puts victims' rights on a par with those of criminals and that a faster appeals process should help free the innocent, as well as execute the guilty, more quickly.

Critics say history shows that cutting the appeals process, particularly to five years or less, is almost certain to result in the execution of innocent people.

"What we know if we look at the 85 exonerations nationwide since 1976 is that the average time that people spent on Death Row was 7 1/2 years" before new evidence came to light, said Elizabeth Semel, director of the American Bar Association's Death Penalty Representation Project in Washington.

His dad G W Bush killed more people (152) in his role as Governor of Texas than any other Gov in history. One every 9 days he was in charge.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2000-02-28/news/0002280032_1_death-row-executions-death-penalty-reform-act

Texas

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/execution/readings/texas.html

Judges are elected and have to remain popular.

How insane do you have to be to not get the death penalty?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/01/death-penalty-cases-mental-illness-clemency

Edited by Park Life

If the electric chair was ok firing squad is certainly an option, who knows one day.

I do think we should have capital punishment here but for murder only

If the electric chair was ok firing squad is certainly an option, who knows one day.

I do think we should have capital punishment here but for murder only

Why?

It doesn't act as a deterrent and people are wrongly convicted regularly.

The electric chair would certainly deter me.

Assuming you planned it.

The vast majority of murders are not planned, but done in the heat of the moment.

The only logical argument for the death sentence is one of revenge.

Assuming you planned it.

The vast majority of murders are not planned, but done in the heat of the moment.

The only logical argument for the death sentence is one of revenge.

you probably are entirely correct.

you may well agree if someone close to you was murdered though.