Only in America

The Fish

5 hours ago, ohhh_yeah said:

:ohmy:

4 hours ago, ewerk said:

Shit, I thought the bridge collapsed some time after being hit and had been closed but clearly not.

Fucking hell!

Those kinds of bridges are designed to be under tension, they’ll be able to withstand a small fault in certain struts, but if the main support is taken out, as it is here, that’s it. 

As well as the loss of lives, and what a horrific way to go, this will cost billions, as it’s going to be blocking the port by the looks of it. 

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

this will cost billions, as it’s going to be blocking the port by the looks of it. 

Frank Sobotka is not going to be happy.

• Haha 5

That's a massive ship to squeeze under the bridge btw. I'm surprised a collision with one support can bring the entire structure down and that's it's taken so long for it to happen 

Edit - 

Turns out some other bridges have safeguards against this happening 

IMG_0358.thumb.jpeg.45ab70bf2d15d5c6812dcf1f70db7867.jpeg

Edited by Kid Dynamite

11 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

That's a massive ship to squeeze under the bridge btw. I'm surprised a collision with one support can bring the entire structure down and that's it's taken so long for it to happen 

Edit - 

Turns out some other bridges have safeguards against this happening 

IMG_0358.thumb.jpeg.45ab70bf2d15d5c6812dcf1f70db7867.jpeg

Yeah, I thought it was odd that it didn’t have those (which was mentioned when the accident was first reported). Even the Gateshead Millennium Bridge has them. Them was some minor controversy about if spoiling the aesthetics at the time, as some people deemed it overkill. When you consider it was deemed necessary there, you’d think it would be in place for a bridge carrying traffic over such a busy waterway / port of that size. Probably missed out the original design and thought too expensive to put right in the age of massive container ships. Fucking mental in retrospect 

• Like 1

I can’t remember where I saw it, but I definitely recall reading an article about the treacherous state of bridges in the US. 

It essentially said “ soon, one or more of them will collapse”. 
It may been around the time that bridge in Italy had a lie down. 

I used to do a lot of contract work for a firm whose business was the installation, and subsequent monitoring, of movement meters on road and rail bridges and other structures. 
One job we had in Dewsbury, they brought over a team of rope lads from a partner business they had in the US, to work with us and see how things were done here. 
It was a small, single span rail bridge over a canal

IMG_2884.thumb.jpeg.f792a30e5cf82a1a7b83845d0b04ef66.jpeg

These lads were amazed that something so small and insignificant was

1- Metered in the first place

2- Those meters were maintained. 
Said that would rarely happen back home. 

It was a railway bridge, with regular passenger trains going over it ffs :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I can’t remember where I saw it, but I definitely recall reading an article about the treacherous state of bridges in the US. 

It essentially said “ soon, one or more of them will collapse”. 
It may been around the time that bridge in Italy had a lie down. 

I used to do a lot of contract work for a firm whose business was the installation, and subsequent monitoring, of movement meters on road and rail bridges and other structures. 
One job we had in Dewsbury, they brought over a team of rope lads from a partner business they had in the US, to work with us and see how things were done here. 
It was a small, single span rail bridge over a canal

IMG_2884.thumb.jpeg.f792a30e5cf82a1a7b83845d0b04ef66.jpeg

These lads were amazed that something so small and insignificant was

1- Metered in the first place

2- Those meters were maintained. 
Said that would rarely happen back home. 

It was a railway bridge, with regular passenger trains going over it ffs :lol:

It goes further than large structures like bridges mate. If any of your family live in social housing, get shit boiler checked. The landlord should do it but fuck me what I saw in london would make a hooker blush

• 4 weeks later...