Only in America

The Fish

Florida Sheriff Grady Judd after officers shot a man 68 times.

"You kill a policeman it means no arrest...no Miranda rights...no negotiations...nothing but as many bullets as we can shoot into you...period."

"That's all the ammunition we had."

The Coroner reported that the man died of natural causes.

"When you are shot 68 times, you are naturally gonna die."

"Welcome to Florida, Y'all."

• Sad 1
  • Jaysus... 2

"Jacob's been shot"

Aye, and who fucking shot Jacob?

Americans man.

Edited by The Fish

• 2 weeks later...

And so, the Hands Maid's Tale becomes reality. Perhaps one of our US posters can explain to me how a secular country is being controlled by trligious extremists? It's a paradox in the US I have never got my head around. This news is exceptionally disturbing regardless. 

• Jaysus... 1

The Republicans are so fucked up in their thinking it’s unreal. 

“No! You cannot abort that unwanted foetus! “

*nine months later

“Goddamn! single mothers having babies they can’t afford- why do they do it? “

• Like 2

Divide women over the relatively minor issue of trans rights, then trample over their abortion rights while they're distracted and fighting among themselves. All far too predictable, sadly...

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

And so, the Hands Maid's Tale becomes reality. Perhaps one of our US posters can explain to me how a secular country is being controlled by trligious extremists? It's a paradox in the US I have never got my head around. This news is exceptionally disturbing regardless. 

I genuinely had an argument recently with someone who was adamant that some states “like California” brought in rules to allow “post-birth abortion”. Yes, the person genuinely believed they were strangling babies after the woman delivered them in California. This is the type of misinformation that has taken over these discussions. It’s fucking insanity. 

Edited by Howay
  • Jaysus... 2

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I raised this in the Biden thread but the central argument seems to be a legislative one? Or rather, the justifying argument seems to be. The Supreme Court isn't claiming that America should ban abortions, they're claiming that it was never a state level responsibility in the first place. Obviously the only reason it's happening is indeed because of the need to pander to the right wing bible belt, but the argument isn't on that premise.

52 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

The Republicans are so fucked up in their thinking it’s unreal. 

“No! You cannot abort that unwanted foetus! “

*nine months later

“Goddamn! single mothers having babies they can’t afford- why do they do it? “

I was looking at teenage pregnancy rates recently as part of a wider discussion I was having with someone on this, and oddly enough Florida has a lower incidence of the issue than the UK does. Even though abortion is free on the NHS here, far less stigmatised, and widely available. We had almost double the issue of Florida. Which does make me wonder a bit about what exactly is wrong in the UK for this to be such a common thing. Even my usual fallback of 'poverty' wouldn't really explain this well since you'd imagine Florida has plenty of it.

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I was looking at teenage pregnancy rates recently as part of a wider discussion I was having with someone on this, and oddly enough Florida has a lower incidence of the issue than the UK does. 

I'm not sure that's right.

Hmm. Granted on searching the rates now, they look basically identical with the England being better in 2020 and worse in 2019. I'm a bit confused what exactly I dug up the last time I searched for this but I can't find it anymore so whatever. Maybe the whole UK was changing the picture, but I can't find that now.

At least it solves confusion I was having over it.

10 hours ago, Howay said:

I genuinely had an argument recently with someone who was adamant that some states “like California” brought in rules to allow “post-birth abortion”. Yes, the person genuinely believed they were strangling babies after the woman delivered them in California. This is the type of misinformation that has taken over these discussions. It’s fucking insanity. 

I think I've come to the source of this, by accident. Apparently they're willfully confusing abortion with euthanasia. Some poor child was born with serious birth defects and was judged by doctors and parents to have no decent standard of life possible - euthanasia was the preferred resolution, and the right have taken the opportunity to consider this a post-birth abortion. Which is sick, really.

• Sad 1