Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

Also, I preferred the view from Rockefeller over the Empire State as you get a good view of Central Park and the Empire State from it. Will have lesser crowds and you can normally get discounted tickets. It also doesn't feel like you're close to the edge anywhere despite the great views so even with your fear of heights you may be ok.

Aye, the Rockerfeller is class. Wouldn't like to take the stairs though if that big lift broke.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrin! Just scored a week in November in New Jersey with business flights too from a client.

I've been to NY before but know very little about that part of the US. Anyone have any recommendations within 5 hours drive?

Gerrin! Just scored a week in November in New Jersey with business flights too from a client.

I've been to NY before but know very little about that part of the US. Anyone have any recommendations within 5 hours drive?

New Jersey is to New York what Sunderland is to Newcastle.

Boston is drive able otherwise just stick to NYC for your excursions

Sopranos tour?

The Giants stadium is okay but if you get that far you may as well go to NYC.

I'd imagine DC would be worth a visit. I'm thinking of spending a night there when I'm over in October.

I enjoyed Washington a lot but its nowhere near NJ.

http://wikitravel.org/en/New_Jersey This could be a decent jumping off point. I recommend you use the proper slang and refer to it as "Joisey" though.

I'll never forget the first time I went out for a meal with a big bunch of Aussies when I lived in America. Absolutely no filter and no volume control whatsoever. The looks our table was getting off all the staff and other diners, it was excruciating. "Facking this and Facking that" at the tops of their voices. :lol:

We had relatives over from Australia last year and oh the horror of taking them out to a quiet Italian restaurant. I've never cringed so much in all my life and I think everyone at the table tried to excuse themselves to go to the toilet when someone started on with a very loud story about "coons". :blush2::blush2:

Needs re-colonising.

what so the English can introduce us to more of their culture, maybe Morris Dancing and HP sauce will go down well this time.

But Ken said Aussies aren't (fairly often at least) racist?

I quite like this self referential humour.

In nyc atm. Central Park this morning then doing maddison square garden and later on the evening cruise to Ellis Island. Is there any eateries anyone can recommend? There's generic places hardrock, olive garden, bubba shrimp etc. Trying to stick with street vendor food during the day. There's some unreal gyro/kebab/meat places. Lion king is booked for tomorrow night

In nyc atm. Central Park this morning then doing maddison square garden and later on the evening cruise to Ellis Island. Is there any eateries anyone can recommend? There's generic places hardrock, olive garden, bubba shrimp etc. Trying to stick with street vendor food during the day. There's some unreal gyro/kebab/meat places. Lion king is booked for tomorrow night

On a honeymoon? It should be room service and baby making all the way ;)

Never been to New York (regrettably), hope the wedding went well though and you have a great trip.

New Yorkers will sniff at it for being too touristy, but get yourself down to Mulberry Street in Little Italy and go to one of the better-looking Italian restaurants there. There's tons to choose from, and while it is a bit of a cliché tourist-trap and it's not like you can't get similarly decent Italian food all over NYC, it's as good a place as any to sit outside and people-watch at this time of year. And if you hate it then Chinatown is right next-door. :D

There's an Italians round the corner from hard rock in Times Square, just up the side street. Does lovely New York style pizza slices

Say 'Noo York' instead of 'New York' and the locals will instantly think you're one of them. Also drop in the odd 'What the fuck?' for good measure. (Although I've never actually been there I'm quite confident this would be the case). :good: