Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In nyc atm. Central Park this morning then doing maddison square garden and later on the evening cruise to Ellis Island. Is there any eateries anyone can recommend? There's generic places hardrock, olive garden, bubba shrimp etc. Trying to stick with street vendor food during the day. There's some unreal gyro/kebab/meat places. Lion king is booked for tomorrow night

- dos caminos (mexican restaurant on 3rd avenue and 50th street) not fancy but v good mexican food

- lunch or brunch at the boathouse in central park is nice, but you'll probably need to book ahead

- sparks steakhouse for the best steak in town, though not cheap

- shake shack is good for a burger and is cheap

- dinner in the meatpacking district is well worth a look - very cool area for drinks – pastis is nice on 9th avenue, also the west village is worth checking and is close by

- or just wander around greenwich – there is a good, casual, pizza restaurant on bleecker street, and a cool old record shop plus loads of little cake shops that stay open late and serve the most amazing NY cheesecake

- cakes at magnolia bakery are a must if your mrs has got a sweet tooth

enjoy! and congratulations.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Had a great 4 nights in NYC. Flying down to cancun tomorrow for 10 nights at el dorado seaside suites in riviera maya(looks pretty swish). Loved new york like. Really is something else, I have found it really cheap with exchange rate being favourable atm too.

Cycling round central park, speed boat to statue of liberty and maddison square garden tour the highlights of the trip so far.

Really enjoyed the lion king but it didn't blow me away like

Edited by JaMoUsE

Happy for any more NYC recommendations too please. May well be heading there in Feb just before my.....ahem.....40th :unsure2:

my top tip is to just walk everywhere. avoid the subway until you're too tired from walking. that way you don't miss anything and most things are closer than they seem on the subway map. just be prepared for a sore neck from all the time spent looking up.

take a walk on the high line. very cool alternative view of manhattan - http://www.thehighline.org/

after the high line have a walk around the meatpacking district. very cool bar scene, pop up modern art galaries, restaurants etc

going to the top of the empire state building is cool, but i prefer going to the top of the rock - then you get to see the empire state from up high, plus it's just a cool view. http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/

you can ice skate at the bottom of rock at that time of year too, thought he best rink for me is the one in central park. it's so cool, even if you're shit at it like me, just for the backdrop.

soho and bloomingdales for shopping.

take a boat trip to ellis island: touristy but fun, plus you get to see the statue of liberty en route

go for a stroll around the village at night. cool places to eat and drink

time square has to be seen, though once seen you probably won't hang around for long unless you're seeing a show. it's pretty touristy and the restaurants etc around there are a bit shit.

Thanking you! I've been once before but just for a couple of days and one of them was with a tremendous hangover. Hopefully will be there the best part of a week this time and it's now looking like the week before Christmas :D

Good for you! :)

Other side of the country, like, but if you get the chance to go to San Francisco, be sure to wear some/sun flowers in your hair. :good:

Cheers pet ;)

And the night before I'm due to leave this hotel I have an Aussie wedding invasion! The groom has removed the bride's garter with his teeth (that was apparently placed their earlier on the upper thigh by the father of the bride), the groom and groomsmen are forgoing shirts and simply wearing waistcoats, the bridesmaids have dresses cut from their tits down to their belly buttons and the bride has a thigh high cut wedding dress.

Stay classy, Oz.

I was on top of Engstligen alp last week, the falls there are amazing. Weather was shite mind, snowed the night before. We were visiting a traditional alpine cheese maker who lives on a farm on the plateau up this mountain for 10 weeks a year making alpine cheese. Fuckin random. Visited a sturgeon farm later that day which sold genuine alpine caviar. They are building a new tunnel through the alps and they need to do something with all the water collected inside the mountains. As it's Russian funded the obvious solution was a sturgeon farm. The Swiss are idiots.