Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 3 in New York, it's like watching Homeland ffs. FBI and security everywhere, all top hotels surrounded by concrete bollards and police. Be worse when all the world leaders arrive.

Anyone heading here take a day in Brooklyn, much more laid back. Few good bars restaurants round Williamsburg.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd rule out Cologne, although that may be through overfamiliarity. The cathedral and the Christmas markets are impressive (though also stupidly busy) but there's not a huge amount to the place beyond that, particularly when you can't really use it as a base for exploring the Rhine because it's, well, December.

Not the first time I've heard someone call Vienna dull, but then we're only going to be there for the weekend really... If that would help I don't know.

Berlin I'd probably go with were it not for the fact that we were considering it for a summer holiday next year...

And thanks so far, chums.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

berlin is an awesome weekend/long weekend destination. something for everyone - history, culture, arts, pubs, clubs and restaurants all top notch. not sure i'd go for a longer summer break but i live in london so prefer something a bit more chilled for that type of holiday.

admittedly i've only been to vienna once - it is beautiful but there wasn't much of a buzz around the place. it was deserted for one thing and a few of the locals i met in a pub said it is always that quiet. we wandered for ages without ever really finding a vibrant heart to the city. perhaps there are others that know it better that would argue otherwise but if i hadn't been to either city, berlin is where i'd be heading.

You get a lot of good beers in Vienna, especially Czech stuff from over the border. They have a lot of beerhalls and 'brewpubs'. Last time i was there, we ate and drank in the 1516 Brewing Company which does great beers and massive platters of slow cooked ribs etc. Its a nice part of town too.

An afternoon walking round the Schonbrunn Palace with your lass would be nice too. Think the christmas markets start towards the end of November, so would be best to wait to then iyam.

Not a bad choice tbh.

Vienna is dullsville. Prague is nice in winter. Nice Christmas market. Berlin would be my pic every time though. Awesome place

Budapest is better and cheaper than Vienna and Prague.

Gone with Berlin in the end, as there's so much to do on top of the markets.

Can't wait.

Any suggestions of the less obvious variety? Cheers

I'll PM you the now legendary 'Meenzer's Guide To Berlin' which does the rounds every time someone books a trip there :)

Can't wait.

good choice that man. east berlin is worth checking out in the evening for cool bars and restaurants. cheap as chips too - check out Friedrichshain

Thanks again Cath (and by association Meenz).

Anywhere in particular you'd recommend Gloom? Quite open-minded, just nothing too loud/clubby as it's just me and the missus. Open to restuarant recommendations too, be they traditional or otherwise (we'll be spending a lot of time in the markets anyway). Cheers.

I can't really remember the names but there's a bunch of bars off freidrichstrasse that have a connected outside space with music, bbqs etc, just a really cool vibe kind of like a mini festival. Perhaps meenzer knows what I'm on about. Went to some fake beach bars too, which were quality and a bar/restaurant on the river with beds instead of chairs. Again can't remember the names, sorry that's not much use.

The thing I loved though was it's just a cool mix of art, history, culture and hedonism. Something for everyone, basically. I'll look up the names of some of those bars tomorrow

I didn't get away in the summer because of my job situation so I'm eying up somewhere hot for January or February.

Can anyone recommend somewhere thats maybe above 25c (20c at a push) that's not as far as the Carribean? (I don't want to risk a long flight until I'm sure my DVT problem is history).

I wouldn't mind Egypt but balk at Dubai etc.

I didn't get away in the summer because of my job situation so I'm eying up somewhere hot for January or February.

Can anyone recommend somewhere thats maybe above 25c (20c at a push) that's not as far as the Carribean? (I don't want to risk a long flight until I'm sure my DVT problem is history).

Canary Islands or Madeira maybe? Not been to the latter but the boss has a place there and it's pretty much mid-20s all the year round I think. I'd choose the resort carefully in the Canaries though as some of them are Charvsville, USA (in Tenerife and Gran Canaria anyway).

Can't wait.

Go to the currywurst musuem!

Morocco? Safer but should be nice and warm. Just have to put up with the tedious Arab bartering over price for every service you pay for. Edited by Dr Gloom

Morocco? Safer but should be nice and warm. Just have to put up with the tedious Arab bartering over price for every service you pay for.

Went there on a mountain biking holiday in 2006 - enjoyed it but would prefer somewhere new.

Costa Adeje in Tenerife is canny. Fairly up market and lots of rich Russians knocking about, about as close to Africa you can get in Europe so will be hot all year round. The scruffs will all be in Las Americas too

We've been here 3 times

Costa%20Adeje%20Gran%20Hotel-1.jpg

I used to go to Tenerife every year in winter. Tbh it's not that hot, probably low 20s, meaning swimming is chilly unless the pool's heated. Worse, there's not many hours of daylight. I would take the financial hit and long flight to the Caribbean if it was me.

Edit: soz, just seen the DVT bit. Think there's exercises you can do on flight but understand your rreluctance. Tbh, anywhere hot in winter by definition requires a long flight.

Edited by Renton