Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

Thing is January is just about the peak for the Caribbean price wise.

It will have been 6 months since the DVT so I would be ok - just being a bit over cautious/ a bit of a fanny.

Been looking at Sharm this morning - looks good value compared with the canaries.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take some aspirin or better still get some lovenox. Not sure how you get the latter in the UK but get it privately, cost you maybe £30 and you inject yourself in the leg. You need a prophylactic dose and you probably need to treat yourself for a few days before. I can't remember all the details but if you've had a DVT and want to fly, that's how you minimize any risk of recurrence.

Take some aspirin or better still get some lovenox. Not sure how you get the latter in the UK but get it privately, cost you maybe £30 and you inject yourself in the leg. You need a prophylactic dose and you probably need to treat yourself for a few days before. I can't remember all the details but if you've had a DVT and want to fly, that's how you minimize any risk of recurrence.

I took that (under its UK name) in the week after diagnosis as an immediate prvention measure of a PE and I still have a couple of unused syringes left - the Wafarin I've been taking daily and will just about be finishing by the planned holiday is precautionary more than anything to keep my blood thin - as I said just being a bit careful. I certainly plan to fly long haul in the future.

Oops oh yeah. Have to agree with those that said it's a little dull, very pretty in the daytime and nice beer, but the food has been nothing to rave about especially considering the prices, and they really haven't made the most out of the river which is beautiful by daylight but has a serious lack of waterside bars/restaurants (at least for the unorganised unplanned tourist) and poor after dark lighting, which sounds an unusual complaint but the city away from the main area is unusually dark and would be very pretty for an evening walk with a few more street lights. Even the area around the famous wheel was extremely quiet, but that might be largely because of the time of year and it not being he weekend. It's nice but from my experience at that price range and area I would recommend Prague or Krakow over it quite comfortably.

• 3 weeks later...

I never thought I'd enjoy a cruise but lately it has begun to seem more appealing to me,

Of course you're never going to get to experience too much of one country's culture but when do you ever?

I'll give it a few years though (til around J69's age) before I seriously consider it though.

I never thought I'd enjoy a cruise but lately it has begun to seem more appealing to me,

Of course you're never going to get to experience too much of one country's culture but when do you ever?

I'll give it a few years though (til around J69's age) before I seriously consider it though.

It never really appealed to me but I was pleasantly surprised. I can't say I'm only ever going to go on cruises from now on but Ill probably do one again one day. The new Quantum of the seas ship looks pretty special.

Been on a couple of Mediterranean cruises. Both were holidays for an occasion I was invited along on rather than something I'd chosen myself. I don't think I'd be into some of the Caribbean ones some people I know have been on where you have a few days at sea but the two I went on (mainly Greek Islands but a bit of Italy / Croatia / Turkey) where you had plenty of stops were canny. The good side, i.e. seeing lots of places, is also the frustrating part because it's those places you really like that you'd also like to spend two or three nights at (at least). It's a good way of seeing places you possible wouldn't otherwise though. The food was fucking ridiculous like. The last one I went on I think I went to the gym about 14 times over the course of the 12 nights I was on it and still put on about half a stone. I was getting up, doing some cardio, then shifting a massive oval dinner plate of breakfast. By half 11 I was going over to the pizza bar. :lol:

They're not really my cup of char, because of the rigid structure, but it's a good way to see a lot of places. Also, while it's not exactly sailing around the Ionian Sea in a schooner, it's still a romantic way to travel I think. And you can always go back to the places you really loved and spend more time there.

Naturally.

It was balmy.

Joking aside, I wanted to go to Delos but wor lass rolled out of bed too late so we just wandered round Mykonos Town. It's quite cool and pretty but it's eye-wateringly expensive and even the locals have more edge than a broken piss-pot.

Naturally.

It was balmy.

Joking aside, I wanted to go to Delos but wor lass rolled out of bed too late so we just wandered round Mykonos Town. It's quite cool and pretty but it's eye-wateringly expensive and even the locals have more edge than a broken piss-pot.

We took a taxi to Paradise Beach on the recommendation of our waitress. Got there and it was miles from civilisation and all the bars were boarded up for the winter. Glad we noticed before the taxi left or we would have been stranded :lol: the bastard charged us full fare back too

I went to Kraków last weekend for my stag do.

Main Square in Old Town was such a beautiful place; great food and cheap beer! Thinking of taking the family back next year to make more of what it has to offer.

Did you have a favourite place on your cruise?

I think they are good if you get on a cheap deal and you get a kind of sampler of places you've never been to for next times holiday. I know that the prices have crashed in the carribean, but they are really busy.