Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend who's turning 30 wants to drag a few people with him on a city break this summer. Our options are apparently Paris, Stockholm and... Chisinau. I genuinely have no idea why the latter is on the list and I'm a bit scared to ask. :lol:

A friend who's turning 30 wants to drag a few people with him on a city break this summer. Our options are apparently Paris, Stockholm and... Chisinau. I genuinely have no idea why the latter is on the list and I'm a bit scared to ask. :lol:

Well it's............different! :o

• 3 weeks later...

I got an email from Trip Advisor with "top ten weird hotels" and "top ten hotels with stunning views" and a couple of other similar lists.

One of the stunning views was a hotel in Bora Bora (French Polynesia) so I searched for a trip there just for a laugh.

It came back with a weeks trip including flights (economy) which take 30 hours each way (via LA/NZ) for 11 fucking grand - a few other hotels in the same place are all the same price (and more).

I'm all for luxury-ish holidays but that's a different league.

• 1 month later...

Just booked 8 nights in Dubai. Surprisingly reasonable.

Flights £374 return on Emirates from Newcastle. 5* hotel on Jumeirah Beach is £100 a night. Just over £1500 all in for both of us. Was going to be similar for a week in a nice hotel in Tenerife

Thing is, and this is not a dig at you, i absolutely fail to see the attraction of Dubaii?

I've got pubes older than it, and unless you're obscenely minted, I just don't see the point of the place.

Someone who's been enlighten me.

Too hot this time of year and you have to be able to turn a blind eye to the culture (the attitude to women and their treatment of non-white foreigners).

Edited by NJS

Never been attracted myself before now. We were looking for a week in the sun and couldn't find anywhere for less than £1000-1200, and that's staying at 3* hotels.

After a bit of research I found Dubai has

-Direct flights from Newcastle

-Mostly 5* hotels

-Guaranteed weather year round

-Lovely beaches

-Plenty of shops/restaurants/bars

-Lots of attractions (worlds tallest building, biggest mall etc

For marginally more money

Tenerife/Benidorm/Majorca etc. we're all new resorts themselves not too long ago. I suppose if you want culture you wouldn't pick a week in the sun anyway

Thing is, and this is not a dig at you, i absolutely fail to see the attraction of Dubaii?

I've got pubes older than it, and unless you're obscenely minted, I just don't see the point of the place.

Someone who's been enlighten me.

It's a Soulless shit hole in the desert built on dirty money.

It's like Vegas without the charm, or fun. Soulless is right. I'm sure you can have a good time though if you just want to chill out and read a book by the pool in a high end hotel.

Dubai is just a bit too far for young kids, thats the ONLY attraction of Tenerife basically 'winter sun which you can travel to in under 4 hours' which i think is about max flying time. You certainly dont go for the beaches, i think they will be v nice in Dubai.

Not sure why you would go all that way for sun right now though? It was fucking boiling here yesterday, sure the south of Europe is in the high 20's low 30s.

Seems surprisingly expensive for a couple going at that time of year. We used to go to the Cannes/Nice area just after the schools went back for a fraction of that. Admittedly nowhere near that standard of hotel and perhaps not as guaranteed weather, but surely preferable to Dubai and it's inhabitants?

You could probably do the Caribbean for not much more as well (flying from Manchester).

:lol: Poor J69, books a nice holiday and then instantly has everyone tell him it's shite.

:lol: I suspect it's the kind of thing J69 will like actually as he's into Las Vegas etc iirc and doesn't drink. Even putting aside the human rights abuses its probably one of the last places on earth I'd go to but each to their own.