Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just booked up for London next week. Taking the 10 year old down to see all the sites. @@Meenzer can you baby sit one night?

Try and do the river boat, the Emirates Skyline (or whatever it's called) and the portrait gallery cafe :good:

The Emirates Air Line (cheers, Boris) is fine but it doesn't exactly do anything useful unless views of reclaimed industrial land are your thing. Then again, one end of it is at the O2, and it would be very CT to come to London just to eat at Nandos and go to the cinema, so why not. :good:

Couldn't get booked up anywhere decent close to the centre without paying a kings ransom.

Eventually managed to find a dodgy apartment on Leicester square itself. Fingers crossed it's okay but my line of thought is we are hardy campers so it should be fine. Great location though and don't expect to be in it other than kip.

The Natural History Museum is pretty good (not to mention free). It would certainly appeal to a bairn who liked dinosaurs. Your 10 year old would probably like it too.

:D You can do worse than spend time in that neck of the woods generally, if the Natural History Museum gets boring then there's the Science Museum right next-door (and the V&A, but frankly who cares about the V&A), plus Hyde Park nearby for letting off some steam. And Harrods too, so you can pick up some artisan cherry tomatoes from the Food Hall.

The Natural History Museum is pretty good (not to mention free). It would certainly appeal to a bairn who liked dinosaurs. Your 10 year old would probably like it too.

Aye, it's top of the list.

Did this trip with my twenty something daughters when they were similar and there's much to do for free in London.

Avoiding things like the dungeons, tussauds etc.

History museum, science, hamleys, palace , eye, big Ben, Meenzer, Covent garden, bus tour, river cruise, wok in a box...... Possibly a show.

Edited by Christmas Tree

:D You can do worse than spend time in that neck of the woods generally, if the Natural History Museum gets boring then there's the Science Museum right next-door (and the V&A, but frankly who cares about the V&A), plus Hyde Park nearby for letting off some steam. And Harrods too, so you can pick up some artisan cherry tomatoes from the Food Hall.

Got some stuff from Harrods food court for a picnic in Hyde park during the Olympics. Food was Shit tbh.

Aye, it's top of the list.

Did this trip with my twenty something daughters when they were similar and there's much to do for free in London.

Avoiding things like the dungeons, tussauds etc.

History museum, science, hamleys, palace , eye, big Ben, Meenzer, Covent garden, bus tour, river cruise, wok in a box...... Possibly a show.

Yeah, it's definitely worth seeing, mate. Lovely old building as well. As Meenz points out, lots of other stuff very close by too.

Got some stuff from Harrods food court for a picnic in Hyde park during the Olympics. Food was Shit tbh.

Selfridges is near there too and more affordable / normal. Bairn would like the kids / toy bit too. Harrods is more one of those places to tick off the list as opposed to somewhere you'd actually buy anything iyam. Very nice food / booze bit in Selfridges too.

CT - go to Borough market on Friday or Saturday (2 mins from London Bridge station) for foodie heaven, coffee at monmouth then you can take a nice walk along the south bank from London Bridge to Waterloo - it's great because you can get to see most of the sites along the way (Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Tate Modern, Houses of Parliament), plus there's loads of touristy stuff en route. then you can walk over waterloo bridge and end up in the west end for trafalgar square then into the shopping and theatre districts. That's what I usually do when I've got people staying that don't know London.

CT - go to Borough market on Friday or Saturday (2 mins from London Bridge station) for foodie heaven, coffee at monmouth then you can take a nice walk along the south bank from London Bridge to Waterloo - it's great because you can get to see most of the sites along the way (Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Tate Modern, Houses of Parliament), plus there's loads of touristy stuff en route. then you can walk over waterloo bridge and end up in the west end for trafalgar square then into the shopping and theatre districts. That's what I usually do when I've got people staying that don't know London.

The walk sounds lovely but back home Friday am so won't get to the market.

BTW CT, the mother-in-law is visiting this weekend and we'll be out and about doing many of the same things, so I'll holler if I spot any special events/exhibitions or whatever.

BTW CT, the mother-in-law is visiting this weekend and we'll be out and about doing many of the same things, so I'll holler if I spot any special events/exhibitions or whatever.

nice one :thumbup: and holler if you see me. (shorts, trainers, white socks, optimistic stupid grin and hat).