Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Santorini is really beautiful but it's expensive in general (for Greece) and the accommodation is dear if you stay somewhere with a caldera view. If you don't stay somewhere with one of those it sort of defeats the object of going a bit. Well worth it if you can afford it though.

I've been to Mykonos, which is basically santorini. Not much to do other than sunbathe and look at the White buildings. Olu Deniz is a bit more of a resort with plenty of shops, bars restaurants and a nice lagoon. We stayed here,

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g312737-d508069-Reviews-Karbel_Hotel-Oludeniz_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

Don't bother going half board though, we did and still ate out every night. Hotel was canny for the price and close to everything.

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard

i fancied santorini this year but it doesn't look the best spot for bairns so ended up booking a villa in kefalonia instead. off in a few weeks, can't wait, fucking love the greek island, me.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i fancied santorini this year but it doesn't look the best spot for bairns so ended up booking a villa in kefalonia instead. off in a few weeks, can't wait, fucking love the greek island, me.

Just the one? :lol:

More of this could put a tiny dampener on your trip doc....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3097559/The-march-migrants-Hundreds-Syrians-Afghans-walk-Kos-1-200-migrants-arrive-Greek-islands-just-two-days.html

We really want to go to Thailand, but sadly, every holiday we're look at they're looking at £600 plus insurance because of my condition and the fact I'm on the chemo. 2016 it'll go right down though.

We really want to go to Thailand, but sadly, every holiday we're look at they're looking at £600 plus insurance because of my condition and the fact I'm on the chemo. 2016 it'll go right down though.

Have you/the Mackem seductress got a vehicle?

Told you man, have a holiday in Britain this year, take it as an opportunity to see somewhere you've never been on our own islands.

Cornwall, Wales, Scotland,Peak District all amazing places.

I've been to Mykonos, which is basically santorini.

I would say the two islands have pretty different vibes like. They don't even look that similar.

having just re-read that article, it's hard not to see it as parody piece. it's like someone at the DM has thought, how can we out daily-mail ourselves?

"Straggly migrants straight from the boats have been marching through the town with backpacks"

"Anne Servante, a nurse from Manchester, had come to Kos expecting a relaxing break with her husband Tony, a retired plumber.

Instead her summer break has turned into a nightmare as penniless migrants who are in Greece to claim asylum sit outside their restaurant and watch them"

'It’s awkward. I’m not going to sit in a restaurant with people watching you’: Anne and Tony Servante, from Manchester, say they won't be coming back next year

Poor people, having their holiday spoiled by desperate, starving migrants.

Edited by Dr Gloom

If by dissimilar you mean very similar then I agree

Well the architecture is similar, yes. Same applies to all the Cyclades though really. Santorini is canny different to Mykonos apart from that though. Even in terms of appearance. The former is built on the spectacular remains of a ancient volcano. The caldera edge faces west so you get amazing sunsets all along it and all the settlements on the west side of the island look over steep cliffs which isn't the case with Mykonos. You also said they were basically the same (without alluding specifically to the appearance) which is also incorrect given Mykonos is world famous for its party scene whereas Santorini is a much more laid back, couples and families type of place.