Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's gonna develop a complex over these surprise holidays. He'll be packed and sat on a suitcase every other morning three years from now.

:lol:

I didn't say I was taking him with me, just that I hadn't told him about it ;)

I haven't seen him since last Thursday man, it would be really fucking harsh for him to come home today to be met with the news that mam is swanning off to Spain for a week without him :lol: Even my dad is coming with us - god forbid we should head off to the sunshine without the local sun-worshipping black man.

We had an Airbnb cancellation on a Spanish villa for 8 of us back in May, due to a local power and water failure, with about four days' notice. :panic:

As it turns out we found another place for about €1000 less, slightly less nice but totally fine, and the saving was duly spent on food and booze for the week. :boogie:

Other than that, have to say I've always had good experience with Airbnb. Using them in Arran and Edinburgh over the next month and a bit, so hopefully that'll all work out fine. I know people who rent their places out for a bit of pocket money too (or a little bit more than that, considering they're in Norway. Bastids).

Don't you just give them shit reviews and that's the comeback?

The weather in south west of France is cracking, starting week 3 of the summer holiday and still 10 days left. Had a week in Norfolk and weekend in London, even had 2 days in mont-de-marsan with great-grandma before coming here. Having the whole of August off is the recompense for French taxes.

Driving to Dover in 4 hours.

Car not packed- check

Kids more hyper than a couple of pilled-up speed freaks-check.

Chances of a kip before l set off blown away like a Chinese port- check.

Prospect of a beer in the far distance of tomorrow evening- check.

We're feckin flying next year :lol:

Driving to Dover in 4 hours.

Car not packed- check

Kids more hyper than a couple of pilled-up speed freaks-check.

Chances of a kip before l set off blown away like a Chinese port- check.

Prospect of a beer in the far distance of tomorrow evening- check.

We're feckin flying next year :lol:

Happens every holiday with kids regardless of mode of transport, you imagine yourself being all packed the day before, enjoying a longer than normal sleep then calmly sipping a hot beverage, not a care in the world... when the reality is packing starts after normal bedtime the night before and doesn't finish to the moment you leave.

I always enjoy that moment when it doesn't matter anymore what you've packed because there's no changing it. Whether that's clearing a certain amount of distance from your abode, or the wheels leaving the tarmac, that's the moment your holiday begins.

Following about 250 miles of fucking roadworks, where work was actually being done on about 100yds of it, when does the "holiday fun" begin?

I was looking earlier for the Louis CK bit that he does about family holidays where he says by the time he's got everything packed, fought the kids to get them in their seats, and shut the doors of the car.....the walk around the car from the passenger side to the driver side he says "That's MY vacation." :lol: Those few seconds of peace and quiet where his family are in an enclosed box and he is outside of it.

I'm not doing it justice, it's a mint joke, but it sounds a bit like your day so far.

Edited by Gemmill

Sat drinking G&T on a roof terrace in a little village in southern Spain after an evening of tapas, wine and music. Bairn is sleeping, my dad is hilariously merry and all is well :)

Loch Lomond is where I proposed, so maybe don't do that in case it's cursed. ;)

Nar nee chance. She needs to complete her doctorate over the next 3 years and command her £65k a year salary, before any long term deals are closed. She would the morra mind.

Nar nee chance. She needs to complete her doctorate over the next 3 years and command her £65k a year salary, before any long term deals are closed. She would the morra mind.

:lol: I like your thinking. Become a trophy husband, mate. Live the good life.

Because I've had a drink, I'm pricing up trips to Munich for early next year under the proviso of getting absolutely fucking wrecked. The thought of using AirBnB crossed my mind but I know that, even a small group of us, would be falling through some poor German's bloke's walls and causing all kinds of havoc. Anyone got any hotel recommendations or, indeed, where to start with Munich in general? It'd be a good old piss-up but I'd personally like to see a good History museum and a good restaurant to try the assorted meat and dumplings that pass as Bavarian Cuisine.

• 2 weeks later...

Turning out for five days up in Scotland from tomorrow. Loch Lomond, really need a break and genuinely can't wait. Looks in a great location. Its that white building across the Loch.

5taMBRz.png

Edited by McFaul