Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somewhere sunny and cheap enough (Portugal or the Canaries seem likely) for Eurovision in May (am I fuck spending two weeks in Copenhagen after two weeks in Malmö last year)

Duly sorted - Gran Canaria for 8 days (Maspalomas). I'm a bit worried by how gay the area where the villa is seems to be, mind. I'm expecting bears and beards and bikers at every turn. :unsure2:

anyone have any first hand experience of Venice with regard to where to stay?

A lot of city deals offer hotels on the mainland? Is it better to stay there or on the bit in the sea?

Is there enough to keep you entertained for 3 days?

Is it a fairly safe place to wander around or should you stick to tourist trails. (Saw dont look back when I was young, spooked me).

Cheers

(And yes I am googling as well).

A lot of city deals offer hotels on the mainland? Is it better to stay there or on the bit in the sea?

Is it a fairly safe place to wander around or should you stick to tourist trails. (Saw dont look back when I was young, spooked me).

Cheers

Don't jump in a Gondola. The Gondoliers really don't like that.

Cheers

Don't Look Back was a horror movie. :lol: So yeah, street clear of wonky eyed blind bitches.

Cheers

Staying in Venice itself is usually eye wateringly expensive. Not being funny but for someone who claims he is statistically in poverty the concept is absurd. And the whole of Venice, the bit you want to visit I mean, is touristy. It's not massive.

I was speaking to a lass at work today whose husband is from Tobago so she's been there and a few other places in the Caribbean who reckons a lot of them including Barbados suffer from isolating tourists from the contrasting poverty too much and don't necessarily allow enough of a flavour of the culture to be appreciated. She reckoned St Lucia was the best she'd been to (after T and T).

Another Caribbean option to think about is Belize. Spent a few holidays there in various parts of the country. Ambergris Caye gives you that Caribbean experience. You can book scuba and snorkling trips from there or head inland to the rain forest and hike around the Mayan ruins. When we went, they didn't make any attempts to isolate you from anything. Can be a fun and adventurous trip there with lots of options. It's been a few years so not sure if there have been any changes in the crime rate, etc. but worth looking into imo.

Staying in Venice itself is usually eye wateringly expensive. Not being funny but for someone who claims he is statistically in poverty the concept is absurd. And the whole of Venice, the bit you want to visit I mean, is touristy. It's not massive.

so what sort of distance are we talking between mainland and tourist central? is it a bus ride, 20 mins on the metro////

Is there stuff to do outside of venice central or do we want to head to venice every day?

Mrs. Fist opened a conversation the other day with,

" So, I had an idea about a holiday, wondered what you thought?"

This translated is.

" We are going to Disneyland Florida with my sisters and their broods in 2015. I've already spoken with them and we are booking a villa for us all. Start saving".

Anyone fancy a swap? I'm no bother- I'll just sit in the corner and you can feed me wine and bacon.....

so what sort of distance are we talking between mainland and tourist central? is it a bus ride, 20 mins on the metro////

Is there stuff to do outside of venice central or do we want to head to venice every day?

:lol:

I spent the day there when I was 14 and was bored out of my skull. We, (Grandparents, Sister, Auntie and Cousin) spent a fortnight at a resort called Lido di Jesolo which was about 30-45 mins away by coach and boat.

Mrs. Fist opened a conversation the other day with,

" So, I had an idea about a holiday, wondered what you thought?"

This translated is.

" We are going to Disneyland Florida with my sisters and their broods in 2015. I've already spoken with them and we are booking a villa for us all. Start saving".

Anyone fancy a swap? I'm no bother- I'll just sit in the corner and you can feed me wine and bacon.....

The absolute key to enjoying Florida is not to go Park daft. Every other day needs to be a chill out day or you"ll be fucked!

Typhoon lagoons a must

Gator land is relatively cheap and the chimps will love it.

Sea world is the absolute best thing about Florida

If you haven't set on a date, check with Nasa to see if anythings taking off.

I spent the day there when I was 14 and was bored out of my skull. We, (Grandparents, Sister, Auntie and Cousin) spent a fortnight at a resort called Lido di Jesolo which was about 30-45 mins away by coach and boat. 

Aye 14 it would be fucking shit :lol:

Aye 14 it would be fucking shit :lol:

It was a mixture of checking out the football shirts I could see and watching open mouthed out the Sabrina look-a-like Italian lasses. The expensive shops were a chore, though. It was my first 'proper' holiday and I loved it to be fair.

We did 5 nights in Venice in November.

Nowt like real Italy, it's just wall to wall tourism and price fixing. For somewhere with so much history and cultural significance, it really lacks any sort of heartbeat.

We ended up getting the train out to Verona for a day, which is an infinitely nicer place. Good fun pissing about on the water taxis though, which have stations with the same colour scheme as the metro.

The absolute key to enjoying Florida is not to go Park daft. Every other day needs to be a chill out day or you"ll be fucked!

Typhoon lagoons a must

Gator land is relatively cheap and the chimps will love it.

Sea world is the absolute best thing about Florida

If you haven't set on a date, check with Nasa to see if anythings taking off.

You're assuming I have any say in the matter ;)

Cheers though, noted

I spent the day there when I was 14 and was bored out of my skull. We, (Grandparents, Shister, Auntie and Cousin) spent a fortnight at a resort called Lido di Jesolo which was about 30-45 mins away by coach and boat.

My parents were proper trendy buggers in the early 1960s, involved in the Club A Go Go, used to go on European tours in VW campers and that.

On one tour they met an Italian family from Trento, and used to visit them when they went on trips.

Anyway, fast forward to 1971, I'm three, parents haven't been away since my older brother was born (1965), so we all load up the car ( an estate Vauxhall I think) and head off for a fortnight's drive.

Ferry to Calais, through Belgium, Germany, Switzerland, and into Italy.

What little I remember of the journey is waking up one morning in the Black Forest and seeing Roe Deer feeding around the car ( we kipped in the back of the car, parents had a tent), and driving down through what I later realised was the Dolomites, being amazed at the sheer cliffs and switchbacks.

When we got to the Italian crew, my older brother apparently kicked off when the father kissed my Dad, Godfather style, on greeting us , and he refused to speak to Papa Gennaro for the entire holiday :lol:

Aaaanyway, the point of this ramble is that the strongest memory I have of the trip is of me and my brother , pedalling a Swan pedallo at night on a boating lake in Lido de Jesolo. :lol:

I have no idea if they still have them, ( the Swan boats),but if they do I can recommend them to CT, they'll keep you happy got a good hour ;)