Holidays 2015

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're completely different but Venice is unique in a way Verona's not. It's famous for a reason. Ironically spoilt by tourists like but then so is Verona,

I could get the same "Uniqueness" by standing by an open sewer drain.

I didn't think Venice smelled, tbh I noticed more bad smells in Florence. I went at an awful time right in the middle of summer in all as it's the only time we could get over (since I live in USA now, I was visiting family and friends back home and we took a short trip to Italy during the trip home).

We stayed at the hotel al piave, small 3 star family run place just off San Marcos square, nice place for what we needed (spent very little time there). San Marcos is utter chaos through the day and we avoided it at all costs, went to Lido beach, or further round the less touristy bits of Venice. It was nice to walk about there at night when people had went back to their hotels in Lido and stuff.

Avoid all the bars and restaurants around San Marcos square as they're not very good and are extortionate. You can get a few days pass for the Vaperrettos (horribly spelt sorry) which is a cracking way to get around.

If you are going to get a Gondola ride, don't get one around the grand canal as they add at least 20 to their price.

Also don't worry about safety in Venice anymore than you would on any other holiday, I never felt in any danger at any point (aside from the fear of falling into the water on the way back to the hotel after a bit too much drink), I'm fairly sure the place has very low crime rates in any case.

The blokes in San Marco square selling roses and stuff will do you head in btw.

Also I've heard to avoid the glass blowing place as it's apparently quite boring and they just pressure you to buy (I didn't go though so others may know better).

I get what people are saying about Venice but I thought it was a great place (I was only there 3 days mind), Florence was fantastic though IMO.

I didn't think Venice smelled, tbh I noticed more bad smells in Florence. I went at an awful time right in the middle of summer in all as it's the only time we could get over (since I live in USA now, I was visiting family and friends back home and we took a short trip to Italy during the trip home).

We stayed at the hotel al piave, small 3 star family run place just off San Marcos square, nice place for what we needed (spent very little time there). San Marcos is utter chaos through the day and we avoided it at all costs, went to Lido beach, or further round the less touristy bits of Venice. It was nice to walk about there at night when people had went back to their hotels in Lido and stuff.

Avoid all the bars and restaurants around San Marcos square as they're not very good and are extortionate. You can get a few days pass for the Vaperrettos (horribly spelt sorry) which is a cracking way to get around.

If you are going to get a Gondola ride, don't get one around the grand canal as they add at least 20 to their price.

Also don't worry about safety in Venice anymore than you would on any other holiday, I never felt in any danger at any point (aside from the fear of falling into the water on the way back to the hotel after a bit too much drink), I'm fairly sure the place has very low crime rates in any case.

The blokes in San Marco square selling roses and stuff will do you head in btw.

Also I've heard to avoid the glass blowing place as it's apparently quite boring and they just pressure you to buy (I didn't go though so others may know better).

I get what people are saying about Venice but I thought it was a great place (I was only there 3 days mind), Florence was fantastic though IMO.

Cheers for that. Much appreciated.