Clement Grenier

Monroe Transfer

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since promotion, there's only been one calender year when we've not spent more than we've recouped and that was to avoid wasting £35m.

Transfer fees paid (ignoring what's been recouped) by year...

2010 - £8.5m

2011 - £18.7m

2012 - £18m

2013 - £15.7m

I hate Ashley, but I've got no reason to think we won't at spend at least a similar amount over the next few days and summer. With the additional TV revenue, I think we'll go double that.

That's all well and good but they turned down 18m euro last summer. My feeling is this isn't totally dead fish, but is he going to luz all the Cabaye money at this?

That's all well and good but they turned down 18m euro last summer. My feeling is this isn't totally dead fish, but is he going to luz all the Cabaye money at this?

What about the Carroll money?

Since promotion, there's only been one calender year when we've not spent more than we've recouped and that was to avoid wasting £35m.

Transfer fees paid (ignoring what's been recouped) by year...

2010 - £8.5m

2011 - £18.7m

2012 - £18m

2013 - £15.7m

I hate Ashley, but I've got no reason to think we won't at spend at least a similar amount over the next few days and summer. With the additional TV revenue, I think we'll go double that.

As this is football let's talk seasons, as it makes much more sense that way. Since promotion there has been three completed seasons (precisely why you're discounting the seasons prior is beyond me). Of those there was two seasons in the red, but that hardly paints an accurate picture. The first season after promotion (2010/11) a profit of more than £25M was made on transfers. In the subsequent two seasons £9M and £15.5M were spent (totalling £24.5M). So in no time across that period has there been a cumulative dipping into the red. There's approx £20M incoming from the sale of Cabaye and based on the historic behaviour of the club under Ashley there is no reason to think will be spent in a hurry or on a singular replacement. I can't see any value in only looking at transfer fees paid.

There's already been hefty TV money increases that have made no obvious impact on the spending practices, so as much as it would be nice to see some of that used to improve our team I won't be holding my breath. If you're right, and it's only Cabaye who leaves (not including Jonas on loan) that would mean being in the red to the tune of £12 odd million for this season (Taking into account the approx £2M for Remy's loan and the approx £1M from the sale of Perch).

It doesn't necessarily make much more sense if the company accounts aren't run from August to May and Ashley wants the books to look as healty as possible, structuring spending accordingly.

But, going on seasons suggests an even greater willingness to spend on new signings

10/11 - £10.3m

11/12 - £23m

12/13 - £23.3m

Having spent nothing in Summer or Winter so far, the amounts we normally spend suggest a great deal of wiggle room in what we're proven to be prepared to put on the table. The hefty increase in TV money and the Cabaye income only increase the liklihood of us spending, still without creating any debt.

This just seems too good to be true tbh. The thought of selling someone and immediately replacing him with a player who looks like he has the required quality we want for somewhere near what we recouped in the sale just doesn't sound like us at all these days.

This just seems too good to be true tbh. The thought of selling someone and immediately replacing him with a player who looks like he has the required quality we want for somewhere near what we recouped in the sale just doesn't sound like us at all these days.

Yup. Im more inclined to believe we'll settle with De Jong (and we do need another forward) and we'll not get this lad "over the line" and likely be priced out.

With this kid's age and talent surely £15-20m spent now would be a potential £30-£40m return in 2-3 years time. #Mikenomics

Edited by trophyshy

At least it's not a "they can fuck right off".

Lyon president Jean Michel Aulas has confirmed that Newcastle United have bid for Clement Grenier.

The bid for the French midfielder is thought to be around £10million for the 23-year-old.

Aulas said today: "We have players who have been asked to go.

"We have had a proposal for Clement Grenier.

"And Aulas joked: "This is after a the departure...of...a number of Newcastle players.

"The Magpies and Aulas aren't strangers to each other after long talks to sign Bafetimbi Gomis last summer.

Back then the deal fell through when Marseille became involved in the bidding war for the player.