United creeping close to danger

Scottish Mag

Jan 16 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Fulham were so bad at Craven Cottage on Saturday it is easy to see how they have been bracketed in the teams who could be relegated at the end of the season.

So after their deserved victory, just where does this leave Newcastle United after their eighth defeat out of 12 matches away from St James' Park?

It hardly bears thinking about as Everton, another team whose supporters have been worried about relegation, have joined United on 26 points. Of those 12 matches away from home, United have now failed to score in nine of them.

And it wasn't until youngsters Michael Chopra and Alan O'Brien came on and livened things up in the last 15 minutes that Graeme Souness' side looked remotely like changing this.

For the life of me, I could not understand why United did not put Fulham under more pressure.

Their defence was all over the place to such an extent that debutant keeper Antti Niemi was a bundle of nerves.

And if Alain Goma, who was on the bench, is not considered better than the plodding Ian Pearce then the former United central defender should gather up the millions pounds he has made in England and head back home to France.

The long-suffering United supporters must have wished another Frenchman, Steed Malbranque, had already gone home, as it was his goal and performance which won the game for Fulham after his 62nd-minute entrance.

The supporters must have known it was curtains, as they have never seen their side come back to win a Premiership match under Souness after going behind, although to be fair they did have a late flurry thanks to Chopra, O'Brien and Lee Bowyer.

Yet the United fans keep turning up in their numbers, and on Saturday their support was absolutely magnificent again.

Certainly they could be excused from chanting rather sarcastically: "If it wasn't for the injuries we'd be top". There were other chants from some of them after the game which Souness will not have liked, but if he is honest with himself, the manager will know that this was yet another passionless and poor performance from his side.

Fulham weren't much better, and only that little flurry at the end probably saved this game from being the worst Premiership match United have been involved in for some time.

Lee Clark was involved in almost everything United did, which was not a lot, and Peter Ramage did well enough in his first start at centre-half. After that, Souness will not have learned anything new. What is not new this season is Shay Given saving United from a much heavier defeat time after time.

It's easy to say that's what the Irishman is paid to do, but I keep wondering just how much more the United keeper can take. Come to think of it, how much more can the travelling Toon Army take?

Verdict: Terrible match. Terrible performance. Terrible result.

I'm suprised he wasn't more critical, Oliver clearly has it in for Souness (not that that needs to be a excuse !) I was fully expecting him to give him both barrels in a journalistic sense.

I'm suprised he wasn't more critical, Oliver clearly has it in for Souness (not that that needs to be a excuse !) I was fully expecting him to give him both barrels in a journalistic sense.

80014[/snapback]

I got the feeling Anal O. got a bit silenced (that's why I don't think Fat Fred is instigating a sacking of the tosser). After the tosser appeared on SSN an said where Anal O. could stick his help I was expecting a full blast of stories about the poor journalist getting attacked by some imcompetent member of Newcastle United yet again. I am also puzzled that there was no revenge live on TV.

Edited by Isegrim

80014[/snapback]

If got the feeling Anal O. got a bit silenced (that's why I don't think Fat Fred is instigating a sacking of the tosser). After the tosser appeared on SSN an said where Anal O. could stick his help I was expecting a full blast of stories about the poor journalist getting attacked by some imcompetent member of Newcastle United yet again. I am also puzzled that there was no revenge live on TV.

80019[/snapback]

I was thinking the same thing. Oliver was probably told to shut up by the Fat One, which is a shame - for the first time ever, I actually enjoyed his rants!

It's still pretty bad though. This saga just shows again what an utter tosspot Souness is. Most of us were getting royally pissed off over the sycophancy of Oliver towards Souness, but after the Wigan game even Oliver couldn't defend him any more so he told the truth. As soon as he did, all Souness's toys went out the pram. What a Prick!

It's still pretty bad though. This saga just shows again what an utter tosspot Souness is. Most of us were getting royally pissed off over the sycophancy of Oliver towards Souness, but after the Wigan game even Oliver couldn't defend him any more so he told the truth. As soon as he did, all Souness's toys went out the pram. What a Prick!

80028[/snapback]

Sums him up though, doesn't it?

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

I think it's a typical Souness reaction, yes. Bullys can't stand criticism, in the same way that cowards can't face the music when they've ballsed up. Again.

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

I think it's a typical Souness reaction, yes. Bullys can't stand criticism, in the same way that cowards can't face the music when they've ballsed up. Again.

80032[/snapback]

I seriously am at the point of believing FS has lost his marbles given his failure so far to sack this joker.

I can accept a mistake in making the initial appointment, as bad as it was. However, the evidence of incompetence has been so strong for so long, I can only conclude ( and hope ) that FS really must have someone lined up who is not available until summer. The problem with waiting that long is that we might be relegated by keeping Souness.

I'd like to see a caretaker manager installed at this point, the entire Souness crew booted out immediately.

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

80032[/snapback]

I seriously am at the point of believing FS has lost his marbles given his failure so far to sack this joker.

I can accept a mistake in making the initial appointment, as bad as it was. However, the evidence of incompetence has been so strong for so long, I can only conclude ( and hope ) that FS really must have someone lined up who is not available until summer. The problem with waiting that long is that we might be relegated by keeping Souness.

I'd like to see a caretaker manager installed at this point, the entire Souness crew booted out immediately.

80036[/snapback]

I agree; the risk of relegation is too great to ignore under Souness. I don't know what Shepherd is thinking about right now; surely he doesn't need more time to appreciate what a mistake he has committed?

Also, there's the fact that each league position is worth £500,000 to us, so sacking him now could pay for itself. Even a caretaker manager could give us the boost we need.

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

80032[/snapback]

80036[/snapback]

I agree; the risk of relegation is too great to ignore under Souness. I don't know what Shepherd is thinking about right now; surely he doesn't need more time to appreciate what a mistake he has committed?

Also, there's the fact that each league position is worth £500,000 to us, so sacking him now could pay for itself. Even a caretaker manager could give us the boost we need.

80044[/snapback]

I have said for ages that due to the lack of an imminent replacement we should at least look at a caretaker. And I don't think it is the question of money. If Fat Fred doesn't want to pay the compensation at once, he should at least relieve Souness from his duties and hand the management of the first team over to Roeder who already is at Newcastle's payroll anyway. That would could nothing and only can improve Newcastle's position. I can't see how results and performances can get any worse.

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

80032[/snapback]

80036[/snapback]

80044[/snapback]

I have said for ages that due to the lack of an imminent replacement we should at least look at a caretaker. And I don't think it is the question of money. If Fat Fred doesn't want to pay the compensation at once, he should at least relieve Souness from his duties and hand the management of the first team over to Roeder who already is at Newcastle's payroll anyway. That would could nothing and only can improve Newcastle's position. I can't see how results and performances can get any worse.

80048[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. Roder might not be the top class manager we're after but I am seriously struggling to think of anyone worse than Souness at the moment.

I'm wondering/hoping if we are looking to get O'Neil in once he's sorted out his personaly problems. To be honest he's the only bloke out there that I think might fit the bill in terms of having the ability to do the job and not being foreign so fat fred might actually go for him.

80028[/snapback]

80029[/snapback]

80032[/snapback]

80036[/snapback]

80044[/snapback]

80048[/snapback]

I couldn't agree more. Roder might not be the top class manager we're after but I am seriously struggling to think of anyone worse than Souness at the moment.

I'm wondering/hoping if we are looking to get O'Neil in once he's sorted out his personaly problems. To be honest he's the only bloke out there that I think might fit the bill in terms of having the ability to do the job and not being foreign so fat fred might actually go for him.

80059[/snapback]

Well, he is Oirish. ;) I'm increasingly convinced he has the qualities for the job, I really hope we can get him. I know many others are not so enthusiastic though.

I couldn't agree more.  Roder might not be the top class manager we're after but I am seriously struggling to think of anyone worse than Souness at the moment.

I'm wondering/hoping if we are looking to get O'Neil in once he's sorted out his personaly problems.  To be honest he's the only bloke out there that I think might fit the bill in terms of having the ability to do the job and not being foreign so fat fred might actually go for him.

80059[/snapback]

There's little doubt O'Neil would be better than Souness, but I'm not that convinced about him. I think he's overhyped by the media, and so may not be as good as he's made out to be.

I think Oliver is slowly accepting the fact that most of us are dreading but, if we're totally honest, is likely to happen....

Souness will still be manager until the summer ;)

I couldn't agree more.  Roder might not be the top class manager we're after but I am seriously struggling to think of anyone worse than Souness at the moment.

I'm wondering/hoping if we are looking to get O'Neil in once he's sorted out his personaly problems.  To be honest he's the only bloke out there that I think might fit the bill in terms of having the ability to do the job and not being foreign so fat fred might actually go for him.

80059[/snapback]

There's little doubt O'Neil would be better than Souness, but I'm not that convinced about him. I think he's overhyped by the media, and so may not be as good as he's made out to be.

80062[/snapback]

I share this feeling. I rated him when he was at Celtic, but since has been out of job and the more I think about it he probably isn't the Messiah some people see in him. He would be a traditional choice and probably do well but I don't think it would be a progressive choice.

I'm not sure exactly how good O'Neil is but what I do know is that he's been successfull in all of his jobs. He got promotion with Wycombe, won a trophy with Leicester (as well as making them a reasonably secure Premiership side) and he pretty much dominated Scotland with Celtic and got them to the final of a European competition.

Basically he's got a much better pedigree than any other manager I can ever remember us having barring Sir Bobby and he doesn't have his age against him.

I think Oliver is slowly accepting the fact that most of us are dreading but, if we're totally honest, is likely to happen....

80068[/snapback]

Has anyone considered the unthinkable?

What if FS thought people like Bellamy and Robert to be cancers?

What if Fred agreed with the decisions of Souness in his shite treatment of these players? What if Fred brought Souness here specifically to do what he's been doing in terms of getting more time from Shearer?

If this is what Fred believes, then the only other thing Fred has to beleve in order to NOT sack the wanker at all, is that injuries are causing the problem.

I'm off for a glass of brandy while I ponder these horrendous thoughts.

I'm not sure exactly how good O'Neil is but what I do know is that he's been successfull in all of his jobs.  He got promotion with Wycombe, won a trophy with Leicester (as well as making them a reasonably secure Premiership side) and he pretty much dominated Scotland with Celtic and got them to the final of a European competition.

Basically he's got a much better pedigree than any other manager I can ever remember us having barring Sir Bobby and he doesn't have his age against him.

80072[/snapback]

That's my take on it - I think he could do a good job with limited funds - that's essential for the next manager.

80068[/snapback]

What if Fred agreed with the decisions of Souness in his shite treatment of these players? What if Fred brought Souness here specifically to do what he's been doing in terms of getting more time from Shearer?

If this is what Fred believes, then the only other thing Fred has to beleve in order to NOT sack the wanker at all, is that injuries are causing the problem.

80075[/snapback]

Make it a treble tbh.

80068[/snapback]

80075[/snapback]

Make it a treble tbh.

80079[/snapback]

And pour one for me while you're at it... ;)

80068[/snapback]

I want Souness gone as soon as possible and someone to take charge until the end of the season, but if the Fat One reckons he's got more of a chance to get a good replacement in the summer, I can just about accept his logic (it's still not what I'd do). What will be the last straw for me as far as Shepherd is concerned though will be if he waits until the summer to sack Souness and then still complains about there being no "suitable candidates"!!

So if he absolutely has to wait until the end of the season before sacking him, he'd better get his finger out and start looking at potential managers now. That should automatically exclude the same clique of British has-beens and never-weres from which Souness was chosen in the first place. The excuse that there are no suitable candidates just won't wash.

80068[/snapback]

80075[/snapback]

Make it a treble tbh.

80079[/snapback]

And pour one for me while you're at it... ;)

80082[/snapback]

blue wkd tbh

80068[/snapback]

80075[/snapback]

Make it a treble tbh.

80079[/snapback]

And pour one for me while you're at it... :rolleyes:

80082[/snapback]

blue wkd tbh

80087[/snapback]

I'm too old to drink that stuff apparently ;)

Reminds of 'Only Fools and Horses' when Del Boy was asked by Cassandra's Dad what he wanted to drink -

Del Boy 'Brandy'

Cassandra's Dad 'Armagnac ok?'

Del Boy 'Well ok, if you haven't got a Brandy' ;)