Remy Cabella - signs from Montpellier

Monroe Transfer

Maybe something to look forward to?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9156032/transfer-news-newcastle-target-remy-cabella-set-to-leave-montpellier-in-the-summer

Montpellier midfielder Remy Cabella admits he is set to leave the Ligue 1 side this summer.

The Frenchman was heavily linked with a move to Newcastle United in the January transfer window, with Manchester United also showing an interest in him.

After deciding to stay in the south of France for the remainder of the season, Cabella has revealed he found it difficult to ignore speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League.

"Winter transfer rumours? I managed to disregard them. I almost didn't talk during that period," he told L'Equipe.

"It would have been disrespectful towards my club as I'm under contract until 2016.

"We have agreed with the chairman to leave next summer rather than during the January transfer window. I have no worries."

The 23-year-old remained coy about a possible move to the Magpies, insisting he is committed to Montpellier.

"Newcastle? We will see. I don't want to say anything. I believe I have grown and I remain focused."

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Montpellier chief Louis Nicollin hits out at Newcastle

Montpellier president Louis Nicollin has hit out at Newcastle United, insisting he will not be selling star midfielder Remy Cabella to the Tyneside outfit.

Newcastle failed with a bid to land Cabella in January, following Yohan Cabaye's departure to Paris Saint Germain and it is understood they remain keen on the 23-year-old.

Newcastle have done business with Nicollin before when they prised Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa away in 2013 - but he is seemingly not a fan of the North East outfit.

Nicollin now points to the fact that Yanga-Mbiwa is not having a great time on Tyneside, for one of the reasons why Cabella should not join Newcastle.

Nicollin feels that Cabella should play for one of France's top teams before then joining Chelsea, Arsenal or one of the Manchester clubs.

"We promised to let him leave. We will try to advise him to not leave for anywhere. Is Newcastle not a good destination? Don't make me laugh," he told RMC.

"In England you have to go to Arsenal, Chelsea or any of the two Manchester teams.

"If Newcastle would offer €20 million, and Arsenal €5 million? I think I would not sell him. I am capable of doing that. I won't prevent him, but I think he is not made for that.

"Look at any great French players, like Desailly etc...They first left their club for a big French one and then they left for abroad. Remy has to do the same.

"Why not Monaco?! There is no contact, but that is what I believe could be good for Remy. Monaco or PSG, who knows?

"Would I advise him against joining Newcastle? Yes definitely. Arsenal why not. For my dear Yanga-Mbiwa, Newcastle was not Eldorado."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9195222

Maybe instead of concentrating on MYM he should look at the fact that Newcastle players + Cabaye make up 1/6 of the France squad. If he is good enough and can adapt to the PL then he will get his chance to succeed and ultimately get a move to a bigger club should he prove himself.

When Cabaye signed for us he said (in response to the question 'why Newcastle?') "je veux franchir un palier" which translates to 'i want to move up to the next level'.

Cabaye talked of improving his game in the Premier League by playing in a more competitive league against better teams and better players. Thats what he did. I dont know (nor does anyone) if he had stayed at Lille whether he would be now at PSG in their current thinking as its not clear to me that his game would have been given the chance to develop to the same level elsewhere. He became a stronger, quicker, fitter and more consistent player with us due to the quality of the opposition and the type of game played in the UK.

Thats why Cabella should come too.

loulou.jpg

"Haw hee haw, Newcastle, haw hee haw, piss, wind, hot air, haw hee haw, etc, etc"

Basically.

:lol:

You need to Photoshop a beret and a string of onions on him for full effect ;)

The bloke is a right sack tbh. You'd think he was owner of one of the worlds top sides ffs. If he can't see why a player would want to move to any premiership side let alone one of the bigger ones he's just showing himself up, besides the fact that the wages a player could get it's also a far bigger stage.

Like Chez said it's also a club where he'd get chances to play and improve, same can't be said of Arsenal and others. Not really sure where his hatred of us stems from really, maybe because his captain chose to join us and he's too much of an idiot to see why.

Funny that all these clubs he's listing as better destinations aren't interested in cabella, just like they weren't with cabaye before he spent some time improving in the premier league.

French Dave whelan is a good shout "Roberto won't go to Everton hell go to a much bigger club, why go to Everton rather than stay at Wigan?"

Oh he's Gone to Everton

That was the other one from Lyon

Grenier, he obviously has a lot of confidence in his ability like, you don't really hear that from top players worrying about who they'll be compared to.

Grenier, he obviously has a lot of confidence in his ability like, you don't really hear that from top players worrying about who they'll be compared to.

Aye reminds me of Beattie not wanting to come to us after his 20 something goal season because of the pressure and Shearer basically, so he picked Everton and we dodged a bullet. Edited by Howay

When Cabaye signed for us he said (in response to the question 'why Newcastle?') "je veux franchir un palier" which translates to 'i want to move up to the next level'.

Cabaye talked of improving his game in the Premier League by playing in a more competitive league against better teams and better players. Thats what he did. I dont know (nor does anyone) if he had stayed at Lille whether he would be now at PSG in their current thinking as its not clear to me that his game would have been given the chance to develop to the same level elsewhere. He became a stronger, quicker, fitter and more consistent player with us due to the quality of the opposition and the type of game played in the UK.

Thats why Cabella should come too.

Agreed. The global reach of the PL puts players in the window and they get to develop sides of their game that are non-existent in 2nd tier leagues.

Agreed. The global reach of the PL puts players in the window and they get to develop sides of their game that are non-existent in 2nd tier leagues.

Come to nufc, put yourself in the shop window....depressing

Are we currently funded by Arab / A.N. Other billionaires desperate to convert their cash wealth into asset wealth?

No. Therefore, your perspective is limited. Why? Because we cant attract the very best talent which the very richest clubs are competing for. Therefore, you have a choice; seek out and attract players who see the club as their destination or seek out and attract players who have the ambition to play for the very richest clubs in the world.

Given the turnover of players at a club, you are looking to 'maximise the current talent pool' at any one time by having a buy / sell policy that keeps the quality as high as possible. If you dont have the resources to instantaneously replenish that pool each transfer window like City, Chelsea etc then you need a model that does something else.

If you seek out players that see the club as a destination and dont have the potential to be better, the average talent pool at the club will be lower than if you seek out players who want to use the club to 'take their game to the next level'.

Its completely rational and optimal within the landscape.

Aye, although the sale of Cabaye was a blow to the strength of our first XI and the morale of the squad it does allow us to say to young French talent, 'Look at him, he joined us and now he's earning megabucks at PSG and going to be starting for France in the WC. If you succeed and want to move to a bigger club then we'll not stop you'.