Remy Cabella - signs from Montpellier

Monroe Transfer

Are we currently funded by Arab / A.N. Other billionaires desperate to convert their cash wealth into asset wealth?

No. Therefore, your perspective is limited. Why? Because we cant attract the very best talent which the very richest clubs are competing for. Therefore, you have a choice; seek out and attract players who see the club as their destination or seek out and attract players who have the ambition to play for the very richest clubs in the world.

Given the turnover of players at a club, you are looking to 'maximise the current talent pool' at any one time by having a buy / sell policy that keeps the quality as high as possible. If you dont have the resources to instantaneously replenish that pool each transfer window like City, Chelsea etc then you need a model that does something else.

If you seek out players that see the club as a destination and dont have the potential to be better, the average talent pool at the club will be lower than if you seek out players who want to use the club to 'take their game to the next level'.

Its completely rational and optimal within the landscape.

Crystal.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we currently funded by Arab / A.N. Other billionaires desperate to convert their cash wealth into asset wealth?

No. Therefore, your perspective is limited. Why? Because we cant attract the very best talent which the very richest clubs are competing for. Therefore, you have a choice; seek out and attract players who see the club as their destination or seek out and attract players who have the ambition to play for the very richest clubs in the world.

Given the turnover of players at a club, you are looking to 'maximise the current talent pool' at any one time by having a buy / sell policy that keeps the quality as high as possible. If you dont have the resources to instantaneously replenish that pool each transfer window like City, Chelsea etc then you need a model that does something else.

If you seek out players that see the club as a destination and dont have the potential to be better, the average talent pool at the club will be lower than if you seek out players who want to use the club to 'take their game to the next level'.

Its completely rational and optimal within the landscape.

Yes. And the reality at most clubs is that every player is for sale at the right price. The disappointing thing about Cabaye is that we didn't secure an immediate replacement….would've had the rest of the season to bed in as it pointlessly meandered on. Part of the current model is that we get players at bargain prices, and we're prepared to wait to make that happen (which imo is sub optimal from a team pov) The bargain hunting aspect is what I assume Nicollin is bitching about, but he might just be trying to talk up his players price.

• 4 months later...

We've signed 2 players to play off our nonexistent striker so far

That's exactly what I was thinking;

Krul

Santon Colo Mbiwa Haidara

Tiote Anita/Sissoko

Ben Arfa De Jong Cabella

????

could be a good 1st team.

If we can get a proper striker, maybe a centre half and a proper replacement for Debuchy? Even better.

I would be playing 4 attacking players and just let them roam and interchange tbh. I'm sure they'd work it out themselves - but obviously that's not going to happen

Like when Man United had Rooney/Tevez/Berbatov & Ronaldo they pretty much just went mad. (Obviously the quality isn't the same)

This will be a good one for the ''He's out of position crew!11'' given that he plays pretty much anywhere attacking. :lol:

What a strange thing to say.

Not if you've spent 5 minutes on twitter it's not. He's a flexible player - like many are and some simply can't cope with the concept.

I tend to avoid looking for things such as the #NUFC hastag and stuff on Twitter like.

The lack of fluidity for us under Pardew always has been (barring 6 games or so) and always will be a problem due to how rigid he sets teams up. Completely a different thing to playing Moussa on the wing/Cisse everywhere etc.

I tend to avoid looking for things such as the #NUFC hastag and stuff on Twitter like.

The lack of fluidity for us under Pardew always has been (barring 6 games or so) and always will be a problem due to how rigid he sets teams up. Completely a different thing to playing Moussa on the wing/Cisse everywhere etc.

More on about people throwing their toys out of the pram if Anita has to spend 20 minutes at right back or whatever. I follow 450 people on twitter and a canny few are Newcastle fans - so I mainly read twist , a lot of it unfounded.

There has been games even last season where we've seen some fluidity & intelligence but they have been fairly rare. The board don't help him but he doesn't help himself & in giving himself excuses he gives the players excuses - which you should never do as it almost always backfires.

The best we've seen is Ba/Cisse/Ben Arfa & I'm more inclined to believe it was good players getting on with it than any solid offensive plan.Anyway, If we're spending money - even money we made off Cabaye I don't think they'll be afraid to give Pardew the boot if things don't start well.

Might as well have done for all the use hes been the last 2 years

Shearer in his prime would've scored fuck all for us in the last two years due to the abysmal service provided as well.

Oh come off it Tooj, the number of sitters cisse has wasted since his ridiculous dip is higher than the number of goals hes scored.

Hes shot.