Loft Conversions

Smooth Operator

Anyone had/got one done?

Had 1 quote so far (£15000) was planning to get 4 or 5 before any decisions were made.

Anyone know anything about planning permission for this kind of thing? As i'm not building onto the house do i still need it? The builder said I did but then he said he'd recommend someone to do the plans so I thought perhaps he was trying to drum up business for a mate. Anyway can I do it without planning permission? Or do I risk some jobsworth coming round and telling me I've got to rip the whole thing out?

I think if you want it to be recognised as an extra room on the house, you have to have planning permission and for it to be certified by some group or other...

If you don't, it basically classes as a store room and therefore does not add as much value to the property should you decide to sell it as it cannot be considered as a habitable room.

On top of that, if you don't go down the proper channels and someone is living in the room, you're effectively voiding your house insurance I believe.

Anyone had/got one done?

Had 1 quote so far (£15000) was planning to get 4 or 5 before any decisions were made.

Anyone know anything about planning permission for this kind of thing? As i'm not building onto the house do i still need it? The builder said I did but then he said he'd recommend someone to do the plans so I thought perhaps he was trying to drum up business for a mate. Anyway can I do it without planning permission? Or do I risk some jobsworth coming round and telling me I've got to rip the whole thing out?

80145[/snapback]

Might well need permission (or some other L.A. clearance) depending on the extent of the work. Wouldnt have anyone ripping it out if you didnt like, but could be a problem if you were trying to sell it on in the next ten years as the work wouldnt have been sanctioned and a buyer would be aware of this (and would still be within the time period for the L.A to take retrospective action-possibly against the new owner).

Like I say though, the need for permission would probably depend on the nature of the job.

Anyone had/got one done?

80145[/snapback]

Might well need permission (or some other L.A. clearance) depending on the extent of the work. Wouldnt have anyone ripping it out if you didnt like, but could be a problem if you were trying to sell it on in the next ten years as the work wouldnt have been sanctioned and a buyer would be aware of this (and would still be within the time period for the L.A to take retrospective action-possibly against the new owner).

Like I say though, the need for permission would probably depend on the nature of the job.

80152[/snapback]

I knew we could rely on you to know about empty space's upstairs.

We'd be using it as a bedroom and wouldn't be selling it for decades, well as long as wor lass doesn't do my head in that is.

So is it all forgotten about then after 10 years? If i didn't get permission and then sold it say in 20 years?

80153[/snapback]

All sounds a little bit Fred West to me, loft conversions, what next? New patio

;)

Always knew there was something dodgy about you and Rose, I mean your lass

fredroseshop0fq.jpg
Edited by Wacky Jnr

We'd be using it as a bedroom and wouldn't be selling it for decades, well as long as wor lass doesn't do my head in that is.

So is it all forgotten about then after 10 years? If i didn't get permission and then sold it say in 20 years?

80153[/snapback]

Going back to my housing law days (a long time ago like) I'm pretty sure theres a magic figure of ten years in which the L.A could take action if they became aware of the breach of the permission. Thats why I said that it in practice you probably wouldnt experience any repurcussions if you didnt get permission as the L.A. would not be aware of it in any event (though it might be a deterrent to a future buyer).

I'd run it by your builder though as he sounds kosher and will be well aware of the situation. Don't think he's just trying to drum up business for his mate-though you could always use somebody else if you get the feeling he's too hard sell on that.

80153[/snapback]

Going back to my housing law days (a long time ago like) I'm pretty sure theres a magic figure of ten years in which the L.A could take action if they became aware of the breach of the permission. Thats why I said that it in practice you probably wouldnt experience any repurcussions if you didnt get permission as the L.A. would not be aware of it in any event (though it might be a deterrent to a future buyer).

I'd run it by your builder though as he sounds kosher and will be well aware of the situation. Don't think he's just trying to drum up business for his mate-though you could always use somebody else if you get the feeling he's too hard sell on that.

80159[/snapback]

So what about this new thing Prescott is bringing in, you pay more tax if you've got a conservatory or a loft conversion, I even read that they are gonna use satelites to see if houses have had work done. So do i need to get some camoflage for my velux's? Or maybe a blind with a roof tile pattern on?

80153[/snapback]

80159[/snapback]

So what about this new thing Prescott is bringing in, you pay more tax if you've got a conservatory or a loft conversion, I even read that they are gonna use satelites to see if houses have had work done. So do i need to get some camoflage for my velux's? Or maybe a blind with a roof tile pattern on?

80165[/snapback]

;)

Satellites to detect loft conversions? ;)

As for Prescotts plans (that I've not heard anything about incidentally) that sounds more like a revenue issue than a planning permission issue. You'd need to run that past your independent financial advisor.

I looked into getting it done in my place recently. You would need planning permission if you had a dormer window put in as it alters the look of the building from the outside. But if you're just getting Velux windows in then you don't need planning permission as such, but you do still need to get the plans approved by the building regs people as far as I can remember - they definitely still have to go off to be approved, but it's not actually planning permission you're applying for.

Where my plan all came crashing down is that I live in an upstairs flat and because there's a flat below me, adding a floor would have meant getting the floors on my already existing floor upgraded. This means lifting them all and having half-hour fire protection put in as if there's a fire in the downstairs flat and no exit from the loft, the fire rules require this. Also, as the space upstairs was going to be greater than 50 square metres I would have had to get all the walls upgraded too - again, they all need taking out, and replastered etc. Oh and the doors need upgrading to fire doors too. Basically it was gonna make my flat unlivable so I sacked it off.

If I didn't get all of the above done then it couldn't be approved as a proper loft conversion as has already been mentioned in the thread, so basically it doesn't add anything like the value to the property that it should. Canny pissed off that I won't be getting it done like, but I just couldn't be chewed with living in a building site for 3 or 4 months.