Scots Money

Rob W

Any Scots want me to help set up a secret bank account in the Canton of Berwick-on Tweed?

look like it might be a good idea

The Salmond will lonly go one way - like the Bolivar.........

Tell you what though - every time some English tory twat like Osborne opens his mouth and spouts some bollocks it guarantees an extra few thousand votes for the YES campaign - so I hope the Eton fandans keep talking all the way to September.

Bottom line is come 2016 and Independence day 1 we can keep using the pound and there's effectively feck all the current UK treasury can be done about it.

Also interesting to note that in the last 9 months I have heard not a single positive bit of politics from the NO campaign - there has been no explanation of why indeed we would be ' better together ' apart from cringy sh*te like this from fake jocks who don't even have the vote!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sArFksxhV-0#t=0

Be much more fun if they chose their own money though;

10 Neeps = 1 Tattie

10 Tatties = 1 Haggis

10 Haggis = 1 Buckfast.

Not that it'll make any difference , as the tight bastards will never spend it.

If I've missed any cliches, please feel free to add them. ;)

So what exactly is your solution to the currency issue?

The solution to the currency issue is the unionist based politicians getting round the table with the SNP and having some proper grown up discussions about the currency - Salmond has been waiting for this for months but all he's getting is playgroung bullsh*t from the politicians in the south east.

Most folk I know up here is have no real interest in the 'you're going to be poores/richer' argument (depending on who you listen to) - it's just not the major issue it's being made out to be in the media just now - the bottom line is that on a single day in September, the people of Scotland have a single question to decide whether we want to stay or go - the details and minutae will be thrashed out later before separation in March 2016.

Surely scottish independence will lead to a lot less labour MP's leading to permanent Tory governments.

And you wonder why the Government aren't meaningfully, and in detail, trying to push the "no" vote ;)

The solution to the currency issue is the unionist based politicians getting round the table with the SNP and having some proper grown up discussions about the currency - Salmond has been waiting for this for months but all he's getting is playgroung bullsh*t from the politicians in the south east.

Most folk I know up here is have no real interest in the 'you're going to be poores/richer' argument (depending on who you listen to) - it's just not the major issue it's being made out to be in the media just now - the bottom line is that on a single day in September, the people of Scotland have a single question to decide whether we want to stay or go - the details and minutae will be thrashed out later before separation in March 2016.

The question of which currency you're going to use is slightly above the level of 'detail and minutae'. You are sounding as if you believe the currency problem is England's issue? The three major parties have already said that they don't want Scotland to leave, why on earth would they try to help you with your post-independence planning?

The question of which currency you're going to use is slightly above the level of 'detail and minutae'. You are sounding as if you believe the currency problem is England's issue? The three major parties have already said that they don't want Scotland to leave, why on earth would they try to help you with your post-independence planning?

Cos it's in the best interests of the rest of the Uk too?

The euro is back on the cards due to it recovering so that is a possibility.

Also there are some who want Scotland to have their own currency.

It's in the best interests of the UK to keep Scotland. And the Euro isn't an option, it's not a matter of you choosing to join it, they won't have you in it.

And a Scottish currency wouldn't work as Scotland as an independent nation would be too small and too new to be trusted by the money markets.

The three major (London-centric) parties will continue to have a vested interest up here as, should we vote for independence, they will be actively campaigning to form the first post-independence government (i.e. it won't automatically belong to the SNP) - so they can effectively link arms just now and say they'll take our toffee apples away but if the vote ids YES they'll undoubtedly get their sweaty arses back round the table pronto so as not to appear a bunch of obtuse phannies.

As for currency, pound/euro/zloty/puggy tokens/shortbread biscuits - couldn't give a flying phuck what's rattling about my pocket - but I'm not buying any shite spouted by Gideon and his 'independent' civil servant bum chums.

The three major (London-centric) parties will continue to have a vested interest up here as, should we vote for independence, they will be actively campaigning to form the first post-independence government (i.e. it won't automatically belong to the SNP) - so they can effectively link arms just now and say they'll take our toffee apples away but if the vote ids YES they'll undoubtedly get their sweaty arses back round the table pronto so as not to appear a bunch of obtuse phannies.

As for currency, pound/euro/zloty/puggy tokens/shortbread biscuits - couldn't give a flying phuck what's rattling about my pocket - but I'm not buying any shite spouted by Gideon and his 'independent' civil servant bum chums.

And that is precisely why you shouldn't be allowed to vote on the matter. Your post-independence currency is one of the most important issues facing your country yet you seem to be biased by an anti-London view rather than addressing the important questions. You are much better off within the Union and should be looking how to leverage your position within the UK rather than blindly following the anti-UK/London rhetoric that is being fed to you. If you think that the currency problem is just a matter of what to call your coins then you're missing the point altogether.

And that is precisely why you shouldn't be allowed to vote on the matter. Your post-independence currency is one of the most important issues facing your country yet you seem to be biased by an anti-London view rather than addressing the important questions. You are much better off within the Union and should be looking how to leverage your position within the UK rather than blindly following the anti-UK/London rhetoric that is being fed to you. If you think that the currency problem is just a matter of what to call your coins then you're missing the point altogether.

That may be your opinion sir, but I can absolutely assure you that I am neither anti-England/UK/London or any other tag you wish to put on me - it may be hard for you to get your head round that the Tartan army invasions for the bi-annual match at Wembley and the jingositic kilt and glengarry wearing anti-English nonsense that was part and parcel of it in the 60's and 70's has largely gone by-the-by over the years and really only applied to a minority of the population. The TA may have sang about hating England but they also sang about Jimmy Hill being a poof and going to win he world cup - in the grand scheme of things none of them were really firmly held beliefs at all.

You may very well be of the opinion that currency blah blah blah is important but that's only becaulse the BBC EBC are giving it so much airtime - say it often enough and peolple start to believe it (weapons of mass destruction anyone?). What you maybe haven't realised yet is that the BBC also have a strong vested interest in the outcome of the vote ... as should we go we'd still get the TV and radio output but they wouldn't have a mandate to collect the licence fee - hence the output so far nationally being heavily weighted towards the No campaign and the media manipulation by the Tories - anything to get the news away from a few puddles down on the Somerset levels.

Simple fact is I'm a Scot who lives up here and therefore I'm entitled to vote any way I wish. I will be voting YES and I am unlikely to be swayed by the incessantly negative politics emanating from Westminster or from the parties whose HQ is in London purporting to be 'Scottish' branches of the parties who have consistently failed to grow some balls and have their own opinion (I personally know of a few labour MP's and MSP's - also related to a sitting MP - who privately confide that they are being denied any voice at all on the matter). I still would like a bit of grown up discussion from the No side but sadly, as things stand, they have offered littlle of anything constructive and seem happy to stick out a wee scare story every day.

Finally, given the fact that we have more pandas up here than Tory MP's, it really is not a wise move for these chaps to be seen to be lecturing us on a daily basis - we all remember Thatcher and what she did to us and the north of England/Wales and have long memories - but I'm delighted that they care so much to continually blather on about it - even the mother-in-law has swung towards the YES side last week which I never saw coming at all ... that swing was solely attributed to Cameron's speech at the velodrome - lecturing us from London didn't go down too well with the old bat.

I still would like a bit of grown up discussion from the No side but sadly, as things stand, they have offered littlle of anything constructive and seem happy to stick out a wee scare story every day.

Isn't that what ewerk is trying to do? Surely having a solid economic strategy is key to an independent Scotland? And the question about Currency is a valid one in any "grown up discussion"?

I don't know enough about it, but my Dad, a proud exiled Scotchman, is fed up of the emotive YES campaign that he believes lacks substantive post-independence planning and is hoping for independence to "get shot of the sorry lot of them".

Isn't that what ewerk is trying to do? Surely having a solid economic strategy is key to an independent Scotland? And the question about Currency is a valid one in any "grown up discussion"?

I don't know enough about it, but my Dad, a proud exiled Scotchman, is fed up of the emotive YES campaign that he believes lacks substantive post-independence planning and is hoping for independence to "get shot of the sorry lot of them".

I sure he'd be proud if he saw you calling him that :)

It's in the best interests of the UK to keep Scotland. And the Euro isn't an option, it's not a matter of you choosing to join it, they won't have you in it.

And a Scottish currency wouldn't work as Scotland as an independent nation would be too small and too new to be trusted by the money markets.

Yep, pretty much.

I know of a few businesses who have closed up and moved south of the border, as they fear the change.