Scots Money

Rob W

I thought that was a p*ss take but apparently not.

Disgusting headline and article - cannot believe that they are using dead Scottish soldiers as a political tool - another instance of how low the No supporters can go and they have a few days left to sink lower. Don't believe they have yet reached the bottom of the barrel but they are very close.

No doubt the Mail and Express will surpass it.

Edited by topcat

not sure who owns it now - but it was set up originally by a Scot

My point was the BoE is fully independent now. It controls interest rates but the UK govt has no say on interest rates and the BoE does not set fiscal policy. If there were a curreny union it would be like devo max for fiscal policy with just broad outlines on tax policy and spending. I.E you can't abandon tax and spend like a sailor at brothel.

If there were a curreny union it would be like devo max for fiscal policy with just broad outlines on tax policy and spending. I.E you can't abandon tax and spend like a sailor at brothel.

I think you'll find that the regulations would be a bit tighter than that.

Thing is, Salmons largely won anyway. Politics is about compromise a lot of the time and the compromise here appears to be he can have everything he wants but he's not being allowed to tear up the Union Jack. Fair do's Eck, now sod off and get on with running your kingdom.

It's been made clear that our continued use of sterling would be a transitional arrangement until either a Scottish currency was set up (we already print and distribute money) or the less preferred option of the Euro, How long this transitional arrangement would last is anyones guess but could well be up to 10 years.

Salmond has already ruled out the Euro hasn't he? Which also leads to problems with your ability to join the EU.

And I can't see any transitional arrangement lasting ten year, I think it's more likely to be two years but certainly no more than five. Which agains begs the question as to how you would fund a central bank.

Unfortunately in the situation there is an abundance of hearts ruling heads. I get that it is an emotive issue but it is one that simply isn't right for the Scottish people imo.

I will bet anything they end up in the euro. They will understand with time they don't have the capacity for their own currency....By then it will be too late. It wil be the euro...And the ECB is rubbing its hands at the austerity (Germanification) of yet another victim state. Scotland will be fucked hard and not gentle like before.

Edited by Park Life

Because of Black Wednesday in the early 90's and the withdrawal of sterling from ERM II, Scotland essentially can't use the Euro. Your currency needs to be linked to ERM II and have a stable currency rate for 2 years before you can join the Euro. Sweden fail this on purpose so they don't have to join the Euro. Countries like Sweden and Poland use it as a loophole so as not to join the Euro.

The only way Scotland legally could use the Euro would be if they used it in a form of "sterlingisation." If we're doing that with the Euro, it would make more sense to do that with the pound.