Scots Money

Rob W

spoke to four 'no's' that I know today and - jesus fkin wept - their individual main reason for going no were:

• don't want to lost my british passport (she's Irish)
  • just want to get my (pension) lump sum - if it's a yes I'm off (to belgium)
  • heard the scottish parliament will outlaw the broadcast of cricket in an independent scotland
  • my sister might lose her job (in a hotel) up near the nuclear base

No exit polls allowed today - any doing the rounds will be nonsense

spoke to four 'no's' that I know today and - jesus fkin wept - their individual main reason for going no were:

• don't want to lost my british passport (she's Irish)
  • just want to get my (pension) lump sum - if it's a yes I'm off (to belgium)
  • heard the scottish parliament will outlaw the broadcast of cricket in an independent scotland
  • my sister might lose her job (in a hotel) up near the nuclear base

No exit polls allowed today - any doing the rounds will be nonsense

How about "I'm not a selfish bastard and dont wish to set my fellow UK citizens adrift due to a freak of geographical/political good fortune"?

I was under the impression that the agreement between the SNP and Westminster was that this would take a referendum off the table for another 100 years. Obviously if enough momentum picks up then this may be revisited, but I think a lot of Scottish people are getting swept along in the nationalistic fervour and equally, off the back of the generally crap economic situation; hence the 20 point swing in the last one year. If it had been this close a year ago, it'd be a different story - but it wasn't. The closeness is coming off the back of all the hype and clever political posturing by Salmond; it's not like that will keep up after a No vote.

This is the SNP's one moment, and if they fail here, they'll diminish. Without a strong nationalist party to rally around, the momentum will be lost.

The idea is that a No vote will take the referendum off the table "for a generation." I guess we'll see.

This is indeed the SNP's one moment, but I honestly feel that the only thing that will truly diminish them is a Yes vote. A Yes, and they lose their raison d'etre. They're a directionless party. While there will indeed be a backlash against the SNP from the No voters, the truth is, they've actually done a good job governing Scotland in Holyrood. But I do know there's a fair handful of people in the SNP (including 1 or 2 current MSP's) who will quit the party if there's a Yes vote due to the fact that Scottish independence was their one reason for joining the party.

Well that seems like a reasonable way of looking at things. I was reflecting on this while driving this evening, and I think one of the very positive consequences of this vote, regardless of which way it goes, is that it could allow us to revisit regional assemblies; and that we may even vote for them this time.

It has highlighted a disconnect between Westminster and Scotland (and I would argue a good number of other places).

In fairness those excuses are more valid than your work colleague's sudden realisation that she didn't want to be governed by a 'bunch of fannies'.

To be fair at least they made up their minds, offered a reason albeit completely shallow, and stuck to it.

Atmosphere up here is unlike anything seen before - just back from the city centre where Yes have taken over the streets - https://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2983

From the Aye's perspective we have had a good experience just getting a glimpse of the exit door and can only imagine what lies beyond. Whether we give ourselves a big pat on the back tomorrow or a self-inflicted boot in the baws is anyones guess.

Regardless of result tomorrow please excuse me - I'm off to settle in for the count and more importantly spark open a 12 year old Knockando and have a few drams.

Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh.

Edited by topcat

To be fair at least they made up their minds, offered a reason albeit completely shallow, and stuck to it.

Atmosphere up here is unlike anything seen before - just back from the city centre where Yes have taken over the streets -

From the Aye's perspective we have had a good experience just getting a glimpse of the exit door and can only imagine what lies beyond. Whether we give ourselves a big pat on the back tomorrow or a self-inflicted boot in the baws is anyones guess.

Regardless of result tomorrow please excuse me - I'm off to settle in for the count and more importantly spark open a 12 year old Knockando and have a few drams.

Slainte mhor agus a h-uile beannachd duibh.

Glad we can still fire that cannon in Edinburger.