What age were you when you left home?

Gemmill

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you watch Treme and get all the local references?

I was 18. First year of uni, didn't do halls, moved in the place my lass was renting at the time. Moved home for a while when we split up, but then moved back with her in a ridiculously failed notion that we could be platonic flatmates :lol:

She ended up moving out and then I bought my own flat when I was 21.

Moved out for uni at 19, back home at 22 and then bought my own house at 25.

I have plenty of friends who won't move out of home until they're married which means 30+ for most of them. I don't know how the hell they do it.

Amazes me how people can afford places straight out of uni. Wish I'd been sensible enough. Moved in with her instead and was getting on for 30 by the time I eventually bought somewhere.

Re NO, I went there once, it's good. Is Treme worth a watch? I've stalled early on with it twice.

As this is the politics thread........I was in and out of work mostly as these strange establishments were starting to become commonplace, they were called 'Employment agencies'. Also some companies started to take people on their books but wouldn't give them a permanent contract. Try getting a mortgage in the nineties without a 'proper' job. (Also try shagging in your parents house whilst worrying you 'working your magic' will omit moans etc from your lass). I was desperate to get out but didn't get myself a mortgage till my missus was in a permanent job, two years later we sold and got a bigger place when I was taken on full time. Would have been out a lot sooner had I either been at university or in a good job. There was more chance of seeing hens teeth lying in our street than kids who went to university, and jobs were scarce or shit. CT's golden North-East isn't something I remember.

.....As this is the 'what age did you move out?' thread.

Amazes me how people can afford places straight out of uni. Wish I'd been sensible enough. Moved in with her instead and was getting on for 30 by the time I eventually bought somewhere.

Re NO, I went there once, it's good. Is Treme worth a watch? I've stalled early on with it twice.

I thought the first series was good. Brought to tears by the end, but I am a big puff. Waiting for the other half to watch it before I do the rest... Probably never happen what with Hollyoaks and Bones being on every fucking day ;)

My first job out of uni was a £16k grad scheme, bought a £30k flat with a 5% deposit I had to borrow from an auntie. Twice salary is a better mortgage total than most first time buyers could dream of these days. I knew that student loans should not be paid off if it can be avoided so never worried about getting my debt paid off before getting on the property ladder. I knew that could be sorted later as it's the cheapest borrowing available. Without that initial help on the deposit I wouldn't have been able to at all though.

I would never rent. Not when you're young. Pay some cunts mortgage for them? If I had to now I'm older then fair enough.

I was clever and lived in Germany (where renting is standard) for much of my 20s when I'd no doubt have bought a place if I'd stayed in the UK. By the time I moved back - and to London, no less - the bubble was in full swing and even an irresponsible Northern Rock 125% mortgage wasn't going to help matters. And now even with two salaries we'd have to live way out in the suburbs if we wanted to buy here. Time to find him a job in another part of the country I think. :lol:

I was clever and lived in Germany (where renting is standard) for much of my 20s when I'd no doubt have bought a place if I'd stayed in the UK. By the time I moved back - and to London, no less - the bubble was in full swing and even an irresponsible Northern Rock 125% mortgage wasn't going to help matters. And now even with two salaries we'd have to live way out in the suburbs if we wanted to buy here. Time to find him a job in another part of the country I think. :lol:

This is what makes me laugh. The prices in London are astronomical for what you get. Why? Demand. Why demand? Because of the place being a much higher level than anywhere else in the UK. Try fixing other parts of the UK and that might help London Prices. A good transport link would be nice, unbelievable that there's still stretches of one lane road on the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh when they're spending billions on he high speed train from London to (eventually) Leeds is it?

I thought the first series was good. Brought to tears by the end, but I am a big puff. Waiting for the other half to watch it before I do the rest... Probably never happen what with Hollyoaks and Bones being on every fucking day ;)

My first job out of uni was a £16k grad scheme, bought a £30k flat with a 5% deposit I had to borrow from an auntie. Twice salary is a better mortgage total than most first time buyers could dream of these days. I knew that student loans should not be paid off if it can be avoided so never worried about getting my debt paid off before getting on the property ladder. I knew that could be sorted later as it's the cheapest borrowing available. Without that initial help on the deposit I wouldn't have been able to at all though.

Think I started on £12.5k on my grad scheme, and just convinced myself that it wasn't worth looking. As it turns out, I'd probably have never moved abroad if I'd bought so it worked out ok.

:lol: at your lass, I'm in the same boat. I told mine I'll wait to watch Season 2 of The Bridge with her if she catches up. Set her up in front of Netflix last night and went away to do something. Come back 20 minutes later and she's on Episode 1 of fucking Prison Break. Fuck off man. :lol:

Might mount a third attack on Treme then.

This is what makes me laugh. The prices in London are astronomical for what you get. Why? Demand. Why demand? Because of the place being a much higher level than anywhere else in the UK. Try fixing other parts of the UK and that might help London Prices. A good transport link would be nice, unbelievable that there's still stretches of one lane road on the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh when they're spending billions on he high speed train from London to (eventually) Leeds is it?

Couldn't agree more, obviously. I work from home anyway so the fact I'm doing so while paying London rent is frankly appalling. To paraphrase Billy Furious, and they wonder why I drink? :D

Couldn't agree more, obviously. I work from home anyway so the fact I'm doing so while paying London rent is frankly appalling. To paraphrase Billy Furious, and they wonder why I drink? :D

That would boil my piss too! Imagine the extra cash to go to all those Eurovision bashes if you lived elsewhere?

For uni at 18 but haven't properly yet (25) as I simply can't afford it, travel for work takes up most of my salary and my girlfriend is still at college so isn't working full time.

Basically need to hope for a permanent position after she finishes college then I can move closer to where I'm working and she can get something there.

Absolutely no hope of a mortgage for a few years yet.

Moved to Manchester for Uni aged 19. Lived in the nurses home for 3 years then rented a house with my then boyfriend after I qualified. We bought a house 6 months before we got married which he subsequently bought me out of when we split up 5 years later, although it took him about 2 yrs to get round to sorting the finances out.

As much as I love my parents, I've managed to avoid moving back in with them at any point despite having to move out of 2 houses/relationships with next to nothing.

I live in Newburn now, which is alreet, but.....I'm moving to South Shields before the summer is out. Never thought I'd see the day, it's not forever, but I'm ashamed to admit it I quite like it. Every time I'm out though in Shields town with wor lass I end up speaking to a Sunderland fan and not once have I come to blows yet. I have to say as well, people from South Shields are fuck all like mackems, and they're generally more chilled than geordies, it's not as advanced but not as aggressive, accent is far more like wors than remotely mackem.