mypono.com

ChezGiven

As masturbation affects eyesight, i fully expect Monkey's Fist to click on this before he even reads the OP.

http://www.mypono.com/

Hi Friend,

There's an awfully good chance you heard about a revolution we're working on. Something that will significantly improve the way you get to hear and feel your favorite music.
Shocking you say? That perhaps the promise of "Perfect Sound Forever" propagated by the inventors of the Compact Disc was a bust? And that "CD Quality" promoted by the likes of iTunes and the creators of the MP3 was only an inkling of the flawed format they were hoping to emulate?
We're here to say it's incredibly true! Miraculously, there's a wealth of music & soul (or if you must, "data") trapped on millions of recordings made over the last half century, that we're hoping to unleash for the very first time.
Can you imagine? Your own personal time machine, to take you back to the place and time of the original musical event, and let you feel music in ways you've only felt seeing it live? We here at Pono are listening to it now and assure you, IT'S AMAZING!!!!
We ask dear music lover that you root for Pono bringing this very real technology to the world. We're still toiling away on making this happen (yes, there are record labels, artists, publishers and more to finalize with), but we wanted to share our excitement with you.
In the meantime, please follow us on Facebook or Twitter for updates.
Rescuing an art form,
The Pono Team

It is no secret that musician Neil Young is preparing to unveil a new digital music service and portable player device during a keynote at the SXSW conference this week. But the details have leaked in advance of his speech.

According to a press release published on fansite Neil Young News and picked up by industry blog Evolver.fm, Young will launch a Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign for his new PonoPlayer device on 15 March, with early buyers getting a discount on its planned $399 price.

The device will be supported by an online music downloads store called PonoMusic, which will sell files at a higher resolution than rivals like Apple’s iTunes.

“It’s about the music, real music. We want to move digital music into the 21st century and PonoMusic does that. We couldn’t be more excited about bringing PonoMusic to the market,” said Young in a statement accompanying the announcement.

Young will act as chairman of PonoMusic, working with chief executive John Hamm, a fellow music industry veteran. “Our goal was to offer the highest quality digital music available from all the major labels with the world’s greatest sounding, user-friendly portable music player,” said Hamm.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/mar/09/neil-young-ponoplayer-music-kickstarter-apple-itunes

What is it a new format?

I assume its a lossless format but there seems to be more to it than that.

I think we have lived through the absolute worst period in the whole of human history for listening to music. Even when analogue recordings were being made in the early 20th century, i'd rank them as higher for the end-use than an MP3 because in those days recorded music sounded magical and people had different expectations. I grew up listening to my dad's vinly going through an insanely good analogue amp.

The MP3 is a con but i think its days are over. It was invented in the 90s to deal with lack of storage space. A CD with 8 to 10 songs takes up around 800mb to 1GB? The equivalent MP3 is < 10% of that.

Storage space shouldnt be an issue for most users so the MP3 should now be redundant.This pono thing would need a cloud service if its to work.

My friend was saying that even something recorded on a reel to reel 8 track (80's) sounded vastly better than any modern digital equivalent.

Edited by Park Life