The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

And how long has this happened for?

This isn't Ashley's fault. This is a grassroot's problem.

Certainly but with Pardew as head of our coaching team it seems to me that it's even less likely to succeed. He can't get anything out of full internationals so I have no faith in his ability to bring it out of youngsters.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we over hype every young striker that comes through. Brayson, Robinson, Coppinger, Chopra, Campbell and Armstrong all come to mind (possibly Joe Allon and Anth Lormer too back in the 80's).

We're just desperate for a local lad to come through and be a star. Gazza is really the only great player that has came through our ranks probably since something like the 50's?

For me, in what little we've seen of him Armstrong already looks like he's got a bit more about him than Campbell. In one of the games he came on he sprayed a very nice cross field ball to someone and he had a bit dribble in another. Campbell only ever seemed to lay off little passes.

Armstrong also seems to be able to score a variety of goals. Some of the goals he's scored for England have been belters from 25 yards (yes they've been against poor opposition but that doesn't change the quality of the strike).

I fear though that like Campbell his size will hamper him at the top level so I'm miles away from getting my hopes up yet.

Steve Watson.

Maybe not "great" but he was certainly fucking good.

One of those players that was a very capable athlete and a skilled footballer, but never cemented a position. Certainly shouldn't have been sold for £3m.

Edit: Today seems like I'm arguing with you for the sake of it, I don't mean it to be.

Edited by The Fish

I think we over hype every young striker that comes through. Brayson, Robinson, Coppinger, Chopra, Campbell and Armstrong all come to mind (possibly Joe Allon and Anth Lormer too back in the 80's).

We're just desperate for a local lad to come through and be a star. Gazza is really the only great player that has came through our ranks probably since something like the 50's?

For me, in what little we've seen of him Armstrong already looks like he's got a bit more about him than Campbell. In one of the games he came on he sprayed a very nice cross field ball to someone and he had a bit dribble in another. Campbell only ever seemed to lay off little passes.

Armstrong also seems to be able to score a variety of goals. Some of the goals he's scored for England have been belters from 25 yards (yes they've been against poor opposition but that doesn't change the quality of the strike).

I fear though that like Campbell his size will hamper him at the top level so I'm miles away from getting my hopes up yet.

Ah, thats a bit more encouraging then. It was the size thing I was concerned about too. Campbell and Ferguson seem way too lightweight for this level, or rather dont seem to have the skills to make up for it. Anita is an example. Quick feet, agile, sprays the ball around knowing he wont be able to keep it for too long. Still, there seems to me even he can do more. I've been surprised by how at times this season he's shown he can go past people if he wants and has a quick turn of pace. Seems to be holding back something at times though, like being stuck in 3rd gear. Dont know how much that has to do with his role and what Pardew tells him. Will be interesting to see how he grows next season, if it all.

Maybe not "great" but he was certainly fucking good.

One of those players that was a very capable athlete and a skilled footballer, but never cemented a position. Certainly shouldn't have been sold for £3m.

Edit: Today seems like I'm arguing with you for the sake of it, I don't mean it to be.

No problem, I'm quite happy to have a bit argument when it's someone not talking bollocks.

I agree anyway, Watson was a good player (as were Clark, Howey and Elliot) just not great and I think the point you make about him not cementing a position cost him in the end.

I would say that there are four great local players from recent(ish) times. Waddle, Pedro, Gazza & Shearer. Of those only Gazza played in our youth team (unless I'm mistaken and Waddle did) so that's why I mentioned him.

What, do you think, is our pitch to players?

"Come and join us, we'll aim to get a top ten English Premier League finish but there's fuck all chance of a cup run so you won't be too busy"

"Hey, meet our amazing coaching staff! Certain to send you backwards, reducing your value, self esteem and cock size"

"Wear the famous black and white, complete with sponsorship by the country's biggest loan shark, Wonga, helping people sell their grannies since 2006"

"Play in front of the meekest morons in football, they'll keep paying your wages no matter how shite you get!"

What, do you think, is our pitch to players?

"Come and join us, we'll aim to get a top ten English Premier League finish but there's fuck all chance of a cup run so you won't be too busy"

"Hey, meet our amazing coaching staff! Certain to send you backwards, reducing your value, self esteem and cock size"

"Wear the famous black and white, complete with sponsorship by the country's biggest loan shark, Wonga, helping people sell their grannies since 2006"

"Play in front of the meekest morons in football, they'll keep paying your wages no matter how shite you get!"

Come to us, you'll get paid more than you do in Ligue 1 and if you are able to prove yourself you'll get a move to a bigger club with actual ambitions and even more money.

:lol: Honestly I think our pitch is to say, come here and prove yourself in a more competitive league and we'll flog you once your market value rises above what we paid.

edit: So aye what Andrew said.

Edited by Howay

Reports popping up that Arsenal have activated the 4 million euro buyback clause for Carlos Vela.

Thats some good business for that much money.

As far as I know, these clauses only relate to the club accepting a bid which allows the player and bidding club to have talks.

It'll be up to him if he fancies it or not.

They're also not strictly enforceable iirc, as pointed out by the liverpool owner following arsenals bid for suarez in summer, he later admitted there was a clause and they just ignored it and still turned down the bid

REckon we will send about 35-40 mil this time around. (25m+ player sales )

However as many as 8 teams may spend 40-60 mil.

So this will leave us in the `prized` 8-10 slot again...

Suspect the WCup will do weird things to the market this time around.

Edited by TobamorisRevenge

Certainly but with Pardew as head of our coaching team it seems to me that it's even less likely to succeed. He can't get anything out of full internationals so I have no faith in his ability to bring it out of youngsters.

He can't get the best out of foreign players. He never has and never will, hence his desire to try and bring some Brits in now. He doesn't have a history of bringing youngsters through either so you are right there. But the fact is there aren't any good youngsters to bring through. Not good.

To be depressingly honest, if I had a little'un who showed promise I doubt I'd want him going through Newcastle's Youth System... Prefer him to go to Boro' or the likes.

I think there's a lack of proper funding and has been for decades.

Player development is pathetic, so too talent identification. For years and years. Someone needs to take a trip to Southampton and see how they do things and follow their blueprint. To not see more locals come through the system in a catchment area the size that it is is a disgrace.

I think Ashley will, but if we aren't spending that and then some I think we can fairly forecast quite accurately a battle against relegation. A battle that we're more than likely to lose.

I think Ashley will, but if we aren't spending that and then some I think we can fairly forecast quite accurately a battle against relegation. A battle that we're more than likely to lose.

Tbh there's only the possibility of relegation which could add any excitement to next season.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic