The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I don't think we're in danger of relegation, I see mid table mediocrity as 'struggling'. I haven't succumbed to the lower expectations campaign that our dick clown manager has been running since his first day in charge.

i'd rather have great expectations of the side, but you must accept that's pointless with the current owner in charge. his ambition, or lack of it, is plain to see. so why expect anything else?

Its your bets which are driving down the odds man ;)

Won't Southampton just promote loads of kids from their academy to cover the sales?

Aye I guess that's their plan. Read an article the other day about a young full back who will be Shaw's replacement, meant to be very capable but still chucking in a load of youngsters in to premiership games would make me a bit nervous if I was a Southampton fan. Mind saying all that it's worked for them in the past with Shaw, Ward-Prowse etc.

You can only get 9/1 on us to go down, but 200/1 on a a club like Everton :lol: It appears I'm not the only one with reservations about our summer dealings.

Or to put it another way, the bookies think there are 11 teams more likely to be relegated than us ;)

Why not?

In the 10 years before Ashley arrived we finished lower than we did last season 50% of the time.

It didn't hurt so much then. Relegation was never a serious concern even if we were in the bottom 3 for a short while. Previously the fans were sold higher expectations by the club and in turn we funded the profligacy.

Now we're sold nothing but cheaper tickets for low category games. Expectations should be lower.

If you were in a bad acident and had your boyish good looks smashed to fuck you would have to lower your standards when it came to chasing tarts as well.

Points-wise rather than positionally, we only finished below last season's total in 3 out of those 10 years, in fact its 3 out of the 14 we were in the PL. The worst we ever did was only 3 points below last season, and in each of those years we were competing in Europe and having a decent run in one or other of the domestic cups, either of which is now seen as a relegation risk and to be avoided.

In Ashley's 7 years, last year has only been bettered twice of course (once only on GD), so you're right we shouldn't be expecting such a high level of performance again this year.

i'd rather have great expectations of the side, but you must accept that's pointless with the current owner in charge. his ambition, or lack of it, is plain to see. so why expect anything else?

I'll continue to expect it and be unhappy with it 'til he meets my expectations. Just being happy because we have a team able to meet HIS low expectations is exactly what he wants

You can only get 9/1 on us to go down, but 200/1 on a a club like Everton :lol: It appears I'm not the only one with reservations about our summer dealings.

We finished 16 points above the relegation spots last year, Everton finished 39 points above the last relegation spot. It's not hard to understand the difference.

Points-wise rather than positionally, we only finished below last season's total in 3 out of those 10 years, in fact its 3 out of the 14 we were in the PL. The worst we ever did was only 3 points below last season, and in each of those years we were competing in Europe and having a decent run in one or other of the domestic cups, either of which is now seen as a relegation risk and to be avoided.

In Ashley's 7 years, last year has only been bettered twice of course (once only on GD), so you're right we shouldn't be expecting such a high level of performance again this year.

that's not a problem at the club though, it's a trend in the league.

More points are going to top teams and less to the rest across the whole league though.

60 points was good enough for 4th 10 years ago, Arsenal got 79 points to finish there last year. That would have won the title at the back end of the 90's.

We aren't in that top group but we're among the best of the rest so it stands to reason we'll finish higher among the rest even with a lower total.

We finished 16 points above the relegation spots last year, Everton finished 39 points above the last relegation spot. It's not hard to understand the difference.

They've got the UEFA cup next year which means they'll definitely get relegated [/nufcboard]

You'd think the bookies prices reflect summer dealings too. We were up near Everton until Cabaye left. And now we've adequately replaced him apparently.

I'll continue to expect it and be unhappy with it 'til he meets my expectations. Just being happy because we have a team able to meet HIS low expectations is exactly what he wants

i wouldn't say i'm happy. just no point moaning about it because it's the best we can expect under ashley. there have been far worse windows than this one since he's been in charge - like when he signed nee fucker.

i wouldn't say i'm happy. just no point moaning about it because it's the best we can expect under ashley. there have been far worse windows than this one since he's been in charge - like when he signed nee fucker.

The people we have signed are almost cancelled out by those that have left, for me anyway. I couldn't even be optimistic if we signed Thiago Silva to partner Colo, knowing that we're relying on Riviere up top, or hoping for a resurgent Cisse.

Aye the Grenier rumours are coming along strong now. Hope you're wrong about Sissoko, but we'd certainly be overstaffed in the midfield department if he came along. Dont know why we're just not in for a CB instead.

I always had the impression he was a deeper player as well... I thought he was supposed to be the more like for like Cabaye replacement actually, back in our January scramble. You have to say with Ashley, he does get the players he wants in the end. Usually several months after the point at which they'd have been useful, but even so.

Anyway, I don't really see the problem here. Someone noted we're likely to be DJ up front - seems certain if this goes through. Meaning that we're going to have Cabella and Grenier in behind, and then Sissoko possibly playing in his actual position with Tiote and Anita...

Ok, in midfield I don't see the problem. I saw all the consternation on here about our defence in the MYM thread. :lol: I agree, that picture right there is a problem...

Chambers to Arsenal for a reported £16m.

Southampton have made £92m in transfer fees this window. Ashley must be livid.

Schneiderlin and Rodriguez set to join Spurs too. The 11/2 to be relegated might be worth a punt.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic