The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Don't think our CB options are that bad tbh, as long as we don't lose any of them.

Not that bad is far from good though. An imposed CB to play with Colo would be a massive help to the team.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colo seems to be on the decline. MYM can't play with him. Taylor and Williamson are fucking awfull. I'd say our centreback options are pretty poor.

Of course if we have a team that can actually attack and keep the ball away from the defence that should make a big difference.

I thought the general consensus was that Williamson wasn't too bad last year? That said, we were comparing him to Taylor for the most part.

I can sort of see why Pardew doesn't think it's a priority area though, given that we have two defenders in each position - our best bet is that one of the others moves on, but given Colo will likely be the first of the four to move on, that means we'll end up replacing his side of things, rather than the Taylor/Willo side.

I've no problem with Williamson being back up as he can be competent for spells alongside a more composed CB like Colo (possibly Mbiwa too if he is given a good run), but I don't want to see him being the starter which at the moment he is as Mbiwa and Colo are too similar and Taylor is Taylor. I'd love to see one of the younger lads make a step up but the ones people seem to rate, like Satka, seem young, unless that lad Good gets a chance to play a few games can't be any worse than Dummett was last season.

Seems we have agreed a fee for Remy with QPR too :lol: wtf

If that come off as well it'll be the most excited I've been going into a season for years. Having Remy and Cisse as experienced proven scorers with Riviere, Ferreyra and Perez as young backups will be the most depth in the forward line we've had in yonks.

Where did you get the info from though, J69? I had a quick scout and couldn't see anything online about us agreeing a fee...

It was all over twitter earlier, but it's gone quiet after the Ferreyra announcement.

I thought the general consensus was that Williamson wasn't too bad last year? That said, we were comparing him to Taylor for the most part.

I can sort of see why Pardew doesn't think it's a priority area though, given that we have two defenders in each position - our best bet is that one of the others moves on, but given Colo will likely be the first of the four to move on, that means we'll end up replacing his side of things, rather than the Taylor/Willo side.

Williamson improved compared to previous seasons but he was never more than ordinary at his best. I think he started sliding back down to shite by the end of the season.

Like Howay, I have no real problem with him as backup but he should never be a starter.

Williamson plays like he talks and looks. He's a fucking wet fanny, no harm to the kid but he is.

I remember him from the Bundesliga. Pretty average.

Can he even lead the line? Wikipedia suggests he plays off the striker exclusively.

Gotta say, Obertan's body looks really fit, and I mean Sissoko type of fit. Wouldn't mind seeing him give a go upfront to see how he compares with the central defenders.

When Obertan plays in the reserves it's like watching Robben, shame he turns utter dog sh*t in the firsts.

He was only 21 when we signed him, so maybe he should have gone out on loan to get games under his belt.

Gotta say, Obertan's body looks really fit, and I mean Sissoko type of fit. Wouldn't mind seeing him give a go upfront to see how he compares with the central defenders.

His (one and only) outstanding attribute is his pace but his movement is absolutely abysmal. One goal in a canny few appearances doesn't exactly suggest he's an undiscovered striker either.

@@Phil He was 22 when we signed him (he hadn't just turned 22 either) and he got plenty games when he first arrrived in the first half of that season - 18 league starts and without checking I would imagine most of those were before January. The crack was he was a 'Pardew signing' which would make sense given how persevered with him. He'll never be good enough as long as he's got a hole in arse and no amount of loan spells would've altered that. Pardew bringing him 'back into the fold' is an absolute joke.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic