The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Rumours on Twitter we are close to an agreement for Abdennour. Can't see it myself, £20mil+ for one of Europes best centre halves when we already have 5 in his position?

If that turns out to be true, I'll genuinely believe that Ashley meant what he said at the end of last year...

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making a point of giving the captaincy to Colo and then making him third choice would be odd. Yes, I think that highly of Mbemba already.

Making a point of giving the captaincy to Colo and then making him third choice would be odd. Yes, I think that highly of Mbemba already.

Their eggs are in the Colo will come good again basket. He should improve as his match fitness increases but it seems it's his attitude that has been...

35441_1313619362_news.jpg

So we've spent £50mil on a midfielder, winger, centre half and striker. Can't say I saw that coming. Whilst we still look a little light on quality at CB and LB I think we've got to admit it's been a pretty successful transfer window. Credit where it's due. No 'stars' sold yet either

We've not won in two games out of two. That'll probably stretch to four. No credit due, credit owed in spades to the support.

I said to me father after the Mitrovic signing that they'd spend 50m but recoup half of that selling Cissé and Sissoko. I'll be fucking ecstatic if I'm wrong about anyone good leaving.

It's pleasing that the penny might have dropped. Shame it's happened about 7 years too late. Even a £50m splurge will do little to address the deficiencies in the squad. We are largely relying on mclaren's abilities as a coach, particularly when it comes to the defence.

Don't think the penny's dropped beyond Ashley shitting himself at the end of last season. Priorities haven't changed, just the approach and probably then just in the short terms. Even that's against a backdrop of an improved TV deal. I doubt we'll be amongst the top spenders every summer / transfer window.

Give me one good reason why you believe we should be outbidding Arsenal, Chelsea, Man. Utd, Man. City, Liverpool or Spurs for players. In football it's not what you know but who you know. Example - Man. Utd have been after Pedro for months. Along come Chelsea and get Fabregas to convince Pedro and Fabregas's girl friend to convince his wife to join Chelsea. Plus Pedro had been told of the brutal LVG regime by di Maria. Why do top players not sign for us? Because they believe Newcastle is in the wilderness and you don't only have to convince the player but his wife/girl friend. Why do a number of French/Dutch players sign for us - because Ashley pays significantly more and gives 5 year contracts which their own clubs would do.

Mike is no fool, he's protecting his investment. The new TV rights deal comes into effect in the 2016/17 season and that will further inflate the price of players. Spend less down on longer deals to save some money if you can keep an efficient squad. There's surplus money to spend from seasons passed as well so even though there's a high spend now balanced across a longer period since 2010 it's much more aligned to the aspirations Mike Ashley has for the club. Whatever the case whilst we're buying players we might as well enjoy it because there's absolutely no guarantee that it will be sustained.

Give me one good reason why you believe we should be outbidding Arsenal, Chelsea, Man. Utd, Man. City, Liverpool or Spurs for players.

I didn't say we should be so it's moot.

If we don't get any players in the summer "we didn't buy how can they possibly think we can compete"

We buy 5 good players "it's not enough the defense needs work

We buy foreign players "they don't have the passion for the country and the epl"

We buy domestic players "not good enough why aren't we going out and getting Spanish German ect. talent"

We sell players "we ruined our season"

We don't sell players "why are we still paying these players"

the life of a Newcastle United fan lol

On a more serious note we have made good signings we do lack defensively but we can't repair the whole team in one summer it's going to take time lets just hope we continue in the right path even if it's a slow process as long as we get there (Europa and hopefully champions league)

It's all relative though, isn't it?

If we don't get any players in the summer "we didn't buy how can they possibly think we can compete"

We buy 5 good players "it's not enough the defense needs work

We buy foreign players "they don't have the passion for the country and the epl"

We buy domestic players "not good enough why aren't we going out and getting Spanish German ect. talent"

We sell players "we ruined our season"

We don't sell players "why are we still paying these players"

the life of a Newcastle United fan lol

On a more serious note we have made good signings we do lack defensively but we can't repair the whole team in one summer it's going to take time lets just hope we continue in the right path even if it's a slow process as long as we get there (Europa and hopefully champions league)

:lol: We're not that bad, man.

I'm happy with the spending we have done this summer but I'm not sure we have had our priorities right. Surely the first thing we should have done was to address the defence. And if we think we've done enough on that score now we're clearly deluded. I also agree with Alex in that this should be viewed as nothing more than the first step to try and redress the balance and I have very little expectation of it continuing in the future. More likely we will go back to (or rather continue with) the same only invest if we are right in the shit policy

We have to sell players hate to see abied go but understand the move we have to get rid of some wages players like Williamson goufrann ect. I completely agree that we need more defensive work but if this is all we buy I will say we did a great job and in January or possibly next summer there won't be a need for buying so many players all we would need is a quality cb lb if haidara doesn't prove himself this season which some think he can (I don't but I'm ok giving him a shot) and possibly 1 other position depending how everything else goes that I can see being possible doesn't strike me as impossible

We have Colback, Anita, Tiote, Gini, Sissoko all ahead of Abeid for a central position so for me it's no loss to the squad at all. We had a full squad before his departure so it would be very unlikely that we would sign anyone else without him leaving so it's a no brainer really.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic