The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't referring to Murphy earlier, more the overall approach of who to buy to get you up. The strategy can't be to buy players that are top premiership players as that obviously makes no sense whatsoever on any level. So what do you do? Only buy players that want to drop down a level for money? Buy players that are clearly going to be top players but aren't there yet?

You need a mix of players in the recruitment mix. I would have thought the thinking would be somewhere along these lines. Firstly you need players who are good enough for the Orem, like Ritchie, Gayle, Mbemba, Elliot, Perez (you can argue who goes in which category). Then you need a whole plethora of players who are young and in development who look like they can develop into better players and move up a level. Those players are the hardest to identify so you need to have a few shots on target and fill the squad. You plan to keep only the ones that do well and buy up if you go up (Hayden etc). Then you need players who can do a job for you in the championship (we had plenty the last time). This third type of player you definitely don't plan to keep. The difference being this time we don't have players like Ranger, Lovenkrands etc to do a striking job already on the books and getting a Harewood type of player costs a bit more nowadays.

So 'wtf' in general to Murphy but don't think it makes sense to view each transfer with the same perspective.

Aye that makes sense. Especially now that we know the fee is a lot more reasonable 3M! If he can get the odd goal and help get us back up it wouldnt matter anyway. Everyone's been talking about us not having the experience Nolan/Barton brought last time around. He can help a bit with that too.

Whats concerning me is that bit about the core of premiership level players. Remains to be seen if Perez, Mbemba, Hanley, Yedlin will be consistently any good there. Then again you cant hope to attract top talent right now. I suppose we can hope these lads develop into something of a team this year around which you'd trust Rafa to add the necessary quality if we go up. 

Still think we need to go for a creative midfielder. So reliant on Ritchie right now.

Can't say I'm thrilled by Murphy. He's always looked a donkey to me but I suppose he's got a decent record at this level. Clearly Gayle and Mitro are our first choice strikers so it was never going to be likely that we'd be able to bring someone like Dorst in. And I can't imagine there's any other teams in this league who have a player with as good a record as him as their backup. I had hoped we might be able to get someone like Lambert but I suppose not.

With regards to Atsu, I don't think any of us can have seen much of him play as he's not played much apart from at Vitesse. That is a concern but he's been a regular for Ghana and you would have to think he wouldn't have ended up at Chelsea without having potential. I think I was a bit more excited by the prospect of signing a player with a broken leg though.

Edited by David Kelly

I'm beginning to lose track of all the signings now. How many full backs are we going to have at the end of this? If we include Anita, I'm counting him, Gamez, Lazaar, Yedlin, Dummett, Haidara.

I suppose Anita can play midfield, Dummett was primarily a centre back (though when did he last play there?), Lazaar and Yedlin may be able to play a bit further forward. Just shows Rafa is definitely going to be switching it up a lot this season. If you include Dummett, we now have five decent centre backs too. I can't remember us ever having this much defensive cover.

I'd agree I'd like to see another creative midfield player brought in, but what I saw on Saturday was very encouraging given none of Mitro, Gayle or Murphy were playing. 

As for the lack of Premier League quality - we're likely to have brought in 13 players at the end of this window! I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot more additions next season if we go up. I think there's a strong core here anyway so we'd be looking at a couple of top quality defenders, two or three better midfielders, definitely one 15+ goal a season PL striker. Anyway, getting ahead of ourselves.

Abysmal tackle aside, what is so awful about McManaman?

Had a look at the 'other' forum and this one, same reaction to the possibility. He looks very average in the Prem but could do a job in this league and I don't get the comments about the man himself. How is he a grade A twat? He did seek Haidara out to apologise, whether that was to save face I don't know.

Abysmal tackle aside, what is so awful about McManaman?

Had a look at the 'other' forum and this one, same reaction to the possibility. He looks very average in the Prem but could do a job in this league and I don't get the comments about the man himself. How is he a grade A twat? He did seek Haidara out to apologise, whether that was to save face I don't know.

He's done it to 3 or 4 other players as well

Aye was going to say the blokes done it a fair few times and they're clearly not accidental. Dirty player tbh, I still don't think Haidara has ever recovered from it.

He'd be an okay player in the Championship but I'd far rather get a different player as I don't like the bloke at all.

Aye was going to say the blokes done it a fair few times and they're clearly not accidental. Dirty player tbh, I still don't think Haidara has ever recovered from it.

He'd be an okay player in the Championship but I'd far rather get a different player as I don't like the bloke at all.

Aye he's a repeat offender, a total and utter snidey little cunt. I'd hate to see him sign for us.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic