The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Not really been fit for the last few weeks tbf.  Monday was a bit of a comeback game for him for the reserves.  Interesting to note that he played on the wing in that game.

Yeah was chatting about that, him and Haidara apparently swapped roles during the game. Lazaar's always been an attacking fullback/winger hasn't he?

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah was chatting about that, him and Haidara apparently swapped roles during the game. Lazaar's always been an attacking fullback/winger hasn't he?

I think so.  He's certainly looked more like an attacking player in the limited minutes I've seen him have so far.

That's all folks

So you subscribe to the theory that continually buying 10 mill players will get us out of this seemingly endless relegation loop?

I'm not saying that buying a 35+ mill player will solve everything, but if we are ever serious about contending for Europe then the players we want are going to cost money, no?  Or have you guys become indifferent about the clubs future?

:lol:

You guys are still laughing, huh?  Okay, I'm a good sport. I can take a hint. B)

But I still think that if we go up this season, sooner or later we are going to need to scout the players that are going to cost more than what we usually pay for and splash the cash.  :cuppa: 

I think we almost certainly will spend more than we were under Pardew. I doubt that Rafa would have taken the job had he not had assurances about serious funds for the 'project'. Not sure we'll be buying too many at £35m+ though, there's still only about 25 players in history who have moved for that much.

I'd be happy if we exceeded £20m in terms of a statement of intent in fairness.

That said, I'm not convinced that these massive amounts are actually bringing in quality for the teams spending them...

I think we almost certainly will spend more than we were under Pardew. I doubt that Rafa would have taken the job had he not had assurances about serious funds for the 'project'. Not sure we'll be buying too many at £35m+ though, there's still only about 25 players in history who have moved for that much.

And one of them is Andy Carroll.

I have no point to make, it's just fun to remember that sometimes. :lol:

Never understood why when some people talking about getting a high calibre player in, they talk about the fee. The fee doesn't dictate the standard, Carroll went for £35m, Sissoko for £30m, Spurs bought Rebrov for £15m in 2000, what about Robinho*, Veron?

Talk about the need for a top player, fine, but don't use their fee as the measure of quality. That's just a bit fucking silly.

*It can be argued that the Robinho purchase changed perception of Man City as a club and that in itself was worth the outlay, but fuck that noise, AMIRITE?

Well, Fish, I agree that you can find quality players at reasonable prices, but for a proven top-notch player that helps your team stay at or near the top, a superstar,  year in year out and not just for one or two seasons?  They do cost a lot more money. And in football, as in many things in life, a price tag usually dictates the type of quality.

That doesn't mean all of them are worth it, but neither are many of the 10 million type, are they?

Well, Fish, I agree that you can find quality players at reasonable prices, but for a proven top-notch player that helps your team stay at or near the top, a superstar,  year in year out and not just for one or two seasons?  They do cost a lot more money. And in football, as in many things in life, a price tag usually dictates the type of quality.

That doesn't mean all of them are worth it, but neither are many of the 10 million type, are they?

I'm not talking about worth, the market dictates that. 

I'm talking about someone saying "We need a £35m player if we're going to compete."  It's nonsense. We might only be lacking a defensive midfielder, who rarely go for anywhere near £35m. We might need a 'keeper and unless we're buying Donnarumma (sp?) I doubt we'd be spending £35m! We might need to spend money on a couple of fullbacks and at that time we spend £35m combined, but we're not off to sign the best fullback on the planet. £35m is a huge sum, even in these days.

If you meant that if we are to kick on and aim for the top half we'll need a reliable top flight goal scorer, that's reasonable, but who knows who will be available and who knows what they'll cost? 

Also, Newcastle United cannot attract £35m players at the moment, nor will we be able to for another season or two at least. It's lunacy to declare that if we're to compete we need a £35m player.

Don't know if anyone has already posted this but it's quite an interesting summary of Rafa's transfers from a LIverpool supporter's perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing how he can develop this squad from here on (provided Ashley doesn't do owt daft, which still seems a pretty fucking big proviso to me).

http://lfcstats.co.uk/rafatransfers.html

Don't know if anyone has already posted this but it's quite an interesting summary of Rafa's transfers from a LIverpool supporter's perspective. I'm looking forward to seeing how he can develop this squad from here on (provided Ashley doesn't do owt daft, which still seems a pretty fucking big proviso to me).

http://lfcstats.co.uk/rafatransfers.html

That's a very biased review of Benitez's transfer deals at Liverpool mind.

Still interesting though - seems good at 'management' as well as just tactics and football.

He's going to be a damn sight better than the Charnley-Carr combo from our last couple of seasons anyway.

Still interesting though - seems good at 'management' as well as just tactics and football.

He's going to be a damn sight better than the Charnley-Carr combo from our last couple of seasons anyway.

No doubt. I think if that was a review written by an impartial journalist, or even a Liverpool fan who has the benefit of hindsight after a few years I'd take it more seriously.

Based on the players I know anything about it seems like quite a well reasoned analysis. The fact that it's written by a supporter who sounds like he knows his onions gives it more value than if it had been written by a journalist imo

• 4 weeks later...

Robert Snodgrass has turned down a contract with Hull. Worth a bid in January? Fits the bill for Rafa's Newcastle in terms of endeavour and ability, too good for the Championship, probably good enough for the Premier League, addresses the weaknesses in the wide position and can play through the centre too.

Robert Snodgrass has turned down a contract with Hull. Worth a bid in January? Fits the bill for Rafa's Newcastle in terms of endeavour and ability, too good for the Championship, probably good enough for the Premier League, addresses the weaknesses in the wide position and can play through the centre too.

Nah

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic