The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Why an emphasis on English players in this window? It's not like we're playing in Europe next season. We are out of all the domestic cups (not like we had much chance of going far anyway). So why not just get the best players possible and wait until summer to target some class Englishman?

I don't get it. Why an emphasis on English players in this window? It's not like we're playing in Europe next season. We are out of all the domestic cups (not like we had much chance of going far anyway). So why not just get the best players possible and wait until summer to target some class Englishman?

They probably assume that English PL hardened players might play with some passion and nous unlike the current bunch of gutless mercenaries

Football365.com are repeating the papers' gossip articles and say we're in for Jonjo Shelvey, Saido Berahino and Henri Saivet.

Would you be happy with that?

A more composed creative centre mid than what we've got, but nowhere near the standard of Cabaye

An unprofessional striker who's had one good season

and a French centre mid who's as likely to be Amalfitano as he is Cabaye.

I'm not excited by any of them to be honest. :dunno:

Agreed, Berahino hasn't done enough to justify that kind of price IMO.

Does this reflect the fact that we can't get anyone better with our current league standing though? This all smacks of short termism.

Agreed, Berahino hasn't done enough to justify that kind of price IMO.

Does this reflect the fact that we can't get anyone better with our current league standing though? This all smacks of short termism.

We can get Austin, Bas Dost, we could probably convince quite a few strikers to be honest. Especially those from the continent. Include a relegation release clause and here's an opportunity to shine before the Euros with no long-term constriction.

True but are the board going to want to spend a lot of money on players who could leave a few months later on a release clause probably worth quite a bit less than what we're paying for them? As such, would we ever agree to a relegation release?

It would seem to go against everything that the club has become but maybe they'll realise that they need to gamble to secure our PL future and the increased TV money that next season will bring.

True but are the board going to want to spend a lot of money on players who could leave a few months later on a release clause probably worth quite a bit less than what we're paying for them? As such, would we ever agree to a relegation release?

It's a gamble.

If I were in charge, I'd have thrown money at Lacazette with a Relegation release clause, I'd have approached Carrick, and maybe 2-3 other 1st team/squad players. Staying up this year is absolutely worth £50-60m January window spend, even though we spent that in the summer.

The assumption is he has to spend this window we as fans no that, in fact everyone looking in can see that. But as we know Ashley's a gambler he may believe the club rhetoric that everything WILL come good & we'll be ok without having to spend. Again we all know we need a few proven premiership players who can hit the ground running without the bedding in process we simply haven't the time or games for messing about. But to buy these premiership players means going against the transfer policy Ashley's implemented for 8 years I just can't see it happening. Meanwhile we are past the halfway point of the season out of both cups & in a precarious position in the league eventually we'll come to a stage we're an odd point here & there won't be enough we have to start winning games otherwise there'll be no premiership football at SJP next season in fact not for a very long time IMHO.

Gouffran wasn't it?

I just meant that the statement is baffling. If someone signed Dummett from us, it wouldn't make Wijnaldum shit.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic