The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

Townsend could usurp Perez from one of the wide positions. Perez is better used through the middle. He should be behind Wijnaldum on recent performances there but it would give us options. Certainly a better option than Thauvin, who McClaren obviously doesn't fancy.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think he's a better option than Perez.

Strength in depth is good and important but considering we got Wijnaldum for not a lot more I think we ought to be improving the starting lineup.

We're considerably more in need of an out and out striker and a defender or two.

He's a different option to Perez wide as he's more about pace, not that I think he's great. Agree with Andrew to an extent (i.e. ideally we wouldn't be held to ransom) but I think we need attacking options and a bench where we can change things during a game in an attacking sense. We're right in the shit in mid-Jan so the fees not comparable to what you'd pay pre-season for someone like Wijnaldum though.

Also, the way we played on Saturday, I could see him adapting to that set-up, especially second half when we got forward as quick as we could and he'd offer something different than Sissoko's "heed doon and run" tactic, even if that is just him cutting in and crossing/having a dig. The loan with a view to buying seems ideal but seems like Spurs won't budge on that.

They should want to improve us as we're capable of taking points from their rivals whilst being no threat to them. I can't see why they think they can put a premium on him. It'd be like us holding out for more if someone wanted Obertan. Stupidity.

That's just what that cunt Levy has always done. Must be a power thing.

You can't compare Townsend to Obertan. One is an England International, who admittedly hasn't played much football the past 18 months, the other is a lightbulb-headed alien who looks like he only took up football after recently arriving on the planet.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Thing is.........is he worth a big spend? He is not playing much for Spurs which can only mean he's not rated as better or as good as any of the starters.

He might be useful to us as a winger but is he worth breaking the bank for. I wouldn't mind having him but wouldn't want to spend silly money on him.

Elliot

Dummett- Colo- Mbemba- Janmaat

Anita -Shelvey

Townsend-Gini- Sissoko

Berahino

It's a tough one as we need a target man with Mitro, but if we pay all that money for Saido then he's surely got to play up top. But I guess Townsend hasn't completed a full 90 minutes for Spurs for 22 months so if we get them both Berahino could play wide in a 4-2-3-1 formation until Townsend is match fit

Edited by gpirlo68

Yeah but what about Gini? For me he has to play as a number 10 he's wasted our wide

Aye, that would be my reservation there re: two up top. I think I would tend to have a starting XI with Mitrovic as a lone striker and Berahino wide but would like to see them tried together too. Agree about Wijnaldum being better in the middle.

I think Berahino is pretty pacey so we could use him as a loan striker in a different way to Mitrovic. Gini is our best player so you have to play him in the position where he plays the best. That certainly isn't out wide and appears to be behind the striker. I don't see how you can play him there behind a front two and with Shelvey playing, for anything other than a last ditch attempt to salvage something from a game. Therefore I struggle to see how we could fit Mitro, Gini, Sissoko, Berahino and Townsend all on the pitch at the same time.

I'm hoping that these players are to give a bit of depth rather than replace. I'd prefer RadgeVic over Berahino if Berahino doesn't instantly whack them in. Mitrovic's strength is key to our sides style at the moment, scoring or not.

Townsend is going to be shite (I said that about Jonjo) so I don't care if he's in or out or on for 10 minutes at the end of each match for 6 months.

I'm hoping that these players are to give a bit of depth rather than replace. I'd prefer RadgeVic over Berahino if Berahino doesn't instantly whack them in. Mitrovic's strength is key to our sides style at the moment, scoring or not.

Aye agree with this his strength and hold up play have led to goals, hope the lad can improve his finishing but as I said in the other thread he doesn't hide from the ball after missing a sitter which is a good sign.

His hold up play gets us out of trouble more than what people think, plus he gives Elliot someone to pick out. Just wish he would start burying these chances, it will come but for now he needs help and Berahino could well be it

Quite happy with neither Townsend or Sissoko being on the pitch tbh

Well generally I feel the same. Although I do think Sissoko has picked his game up quite a bit in the last six weeks or so (if I was being cynical I would say he's playing for a move) even if his touch is still shite. I've never rated Townsend like but I assume if we sign him, we'll be wanting to play him.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic