The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think perez has looked much better when he's played just behind mitrovic in the middle than when he's been used out wide. but wijanldum offers more of of a threat in that position - he definitely was wasted out wide. i would have no problem with townsened coming in and him amd perez being rotated, depending on the opposition.

i think signing berahino and townsend on top of shelvey would represent an alright window. just need a left back and as well and i'll be pretty pleased. the fact we're not being linked with any is a concern - it's probably our weakest position.

I'd be amazed if we signed a Left Back.

i like him as a deep lying playmaker in the 4-2-3-1 set up. i can't see mcclaren not playing a ball winner alonsgide him though

Still unclear if Saivet is going to play that role. I know he briefly did it against West Ham, but dunno if that's because Colback was the only available option to cover for the injured Dummett?

i think perez has looked much better when he's played just behind mitrovic in the middle than when he's been used out wide. but wijanldum offers more of of a threat in that position - he definitely was wasted out wide. i would have no problem with townsened coming in and him amd perez being rotated, depending on the opposition.

i think signing berahino and townsend on top of shelvey would represent an alright window. just need a left back and as well and i'll be pretty pleased. the fact we're not being linked with any is a concern - it's probably our weakest position.

I think Perez has looked decent at times there this season but on the whole think he's struggled for form a bit. In any case I would expect the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 to interchange and all look to link up with the lone striker. It's a slightly different role to playing wide in a 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 where I think he probably would struggle (and Townsend would be more suited). We do need to improve the squad long term but if we're spunking that sort of cash now it really should be on guaranteed starters

I think Perez has looked decent at times there this season but on the whole think he's struggled for form a bit. In any case I would expect the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 to interchange and all look to link up with the lone striker. It's a slightly different role to playing wide in a 4-4-2 / 4-3-3 where I think he probably would struggle (and Townsend would be more suited). We do need to improve the squad long term but if we're spunking that sort of cash now it really should be on guaranteed starters

:aye:

For all there's 6 minutes of Townsend skipping past players in the highlight reel, there are areas we're weak in that should be prioritised. Left Back, Striker and Centre Half are all in need of strengthening.

I think, as J69 was saying, Townsend has looked quality but when did he last show that form? Loads of players have burst onto the scene then never been able to repeat that form. I'd worry he's a flash in the pan. If Spurs do hold out for £16m you're talking about an outlay of over £20m on him. If he was the difference between staying up and going down it would be worth it but it's a big 'if'

There's a lot of chatter on Twitter in favour of Townsend.

A lot of it seems to be because he's English, as if that really means anything.

i totally agree. not easy in january though is it? selling clubs can smell desperation, and we're desperate.

there's also the issue that townsend is probably as good as we're going to be able to attract. how many players capable of improving our side and with PL experience are going to want to fancy joining us in the midst of another relegation battle?

there's also the issue that townsend is probably as good as we're going to be able to attract. how many players capable of improving our side and with PL experience are going to want to fancy joining us in the midst of another relegation battle?

You're not really selling him to the sceptics here ;)

And yet Austin went for £4m. Doubling what Southampton offered would've been better value and met our needs better

i'd be very surprised if we weren't in for him. we were certainly linked with him. it could have been that he picked them over us. i probably would if i were him right now too - they're a way more stable club than we've been in recent years.

You're not really selling him to the sceptics here ;)

i reckon he'll be a good fit for us. i'd be happy for us to sign someone better like, but i don't see it happening. i'd rather we take a punt on someone like townsend than bet on another thauvin or cabella being able to adjust to the english game.

i'd be very surprised if we weren't in for him. we were certainly linked with him. it could have been that he picked them over us. i probably would if i were him right now too - they're a way more stable club than we've been in recent years.

It makes sense that we should've been in for him but I don't think there's much, if any, evidence we were this time round. Anyway, all moot now

i reckon he'll be a good fit for us. i'd be happy for us to sign someone better like, but i don't see it happening. i'd rather we take a punt on someone like townsend than bet on another thauvin or cabella being able to adjust to the english game.

Ludicrous allowing Cabella to go imo. He was starting to show signs of adapting to match the odd flash of good play last season. The Thauvin deal replacing him was a proper fuck up. Don't think two terrible deals make Townsend a better bet though. That's poor logic

the logic is we'd be signing someone who is used to the speed of the game here. i don't think cabella ever quite looked up to it, the odd flash of skill aside. he may have adjusted if we'd stuck with him or given him more game time. the thauvin move was bizarre as mcclaren blatantly doesn't fancy him/

It makes sense that we should've been in for him but I don't think there's much, if any, evidence we were this time round. Anyway, all moot now

Sure I read that he doesn't want to leave the south. You could probably tempt him with a massive paypacket but if he doesn't want to move up, it's pointless going after him. We probably still did, like.

Sure I read that he doesn't want to leave the south. You could probably tempt him with a massive paypacket but if he doesn't want to move up, it's pointless going after him. We probably still did, like.

I suppose, if that's the case, all things being equal he'd have gone for them. And all things aren't equal since we're a shambles

We really can't afford to risk getting strung along by Berahino/West Brom. We are in desperate need of goals so we need to either sign him or move quickly on to someone else. Mitro is struggling to score, Cisse is crocked and Riviere isn't up to the job so we cannot come out of the window with just those three. So we need to stop preparing and actually make a substantial bid for him. If that means chucking an extra couple of million then so be it. West Brom say they want to keep him but I don't see how they could possibly turn down £20m+ for a player who Pulis isn't playing.

We have apparently ended our interest in Townsend and are looking at Sandro Rodriguez on loan from barca with Scott Sinclair or Matt Phillips next on the list

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic