The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without having seen Darlow I reckon we need another decent keeper as Elliot is dogshit and Krul has been very iffy at times this season and might well not be here next year anyway. Of course we also need other positions filled as well. Southampton managed wholesale changes particularly well this season so no reason why we shouldn't be able to. (ahem, cough). :whistling:

Because we need so many players brought in,and not just to add to the squad,i cannot see how so many will be able to gel from day one.Will our new manager be appointed in late May which will give him a couple of months to sign players before pre-season training starts.Are we currently sounding out players,under instructions from the new manager/Charnley and Ashley.We cannot afford to piss about with silly bids for half decent proven Premier league players this summer .Greedy footballers will be demanding huge wages with the extra tv money on it's way.If we don't pay the wages and transfer fees this summer other teams will.

Because we need so many players brought in,and not just to add to the squad,i cannot see how so many will be able to gel from day one.Will our new manager be appointed in late May which will give him a couple of months to sign players before pre-season training starts.Are we currently sounding out players,under instructions from the new manager/Charnley and Ashley.We cannot afford to piss about with silly bids for half decent proven Premier league players this summer .Greedy footballers will be demanding huge wages with the extra tv money on it's way.If we don't pay the wages and transfer fees this summer other teams will.

Southampton brought in 8 new players for the 1st team and were having a tilt at the Champions League spots until recently. The right coaches can bring a group of players together quickly if they have the summer & the right man calling the shots on the pitch.

From previous quotes and reports it appears Carr & his team are forever scouting out new players to present to the manager/head coach, Charnley et al.

We'll still be looking for good deals, but this squad does need significant investment to achieve the very modest ambition held by it's owner.

The owner's track record for providing the players the squad needs isn't the Fred West though, is it?

There are occasional highlights, When we were looking genuinely threatened with relegation in January a couple of season ago deals were brought forward to get in Sissoko, Debuchy and Gouffran (when he was at least useful before our coaches got at him) and it provided enough to keep us up.

The owner's track record for providing the players the squad needs isn't the Fred West though, is it?

As Andrew says, when we were desperate for a Centre back, a right back, a midfielder and options up front & out wide, they were addressed.

Aye, once, when we desperate, he splashed a bit of cash to keep us up but only in January after it all looked like going tits up.

More often than not he falls pretty short of what we would like to see him spend and we start every season with massive holes in the squad.

When was the last time we had a squad with depth in every position? He will spend a bit but he'll take a punt on us getting by on scraps again, I reckon, and see what it looks like in January before deciding whether to splash the cash. Conversely, if we're over the 30 point mark at that time we'll either sign no fucker or sell our best player.

Edited by Dr Gloom

As Andrew says, when we were desperate for a Centre back, a right back, a midfielder and options up front & out wide, they were addressed.

'When' we were desperate it was addressed? :lol:

We never get a balance in comings and goings of players, we are always short, we are always at least one transfer window behind where we should be at, (that's being generous), there always seem to be an angle when buying a player, i.e. out of contract, contract running down, clause in contract, player agitating at his own club etc. We're ALWAYS fucking desperate for players as we ALWAYS lag behind on player recruitment but NEVER lag behind on player sales as we're ALWAYS 'vanerabewl' to bids according to our last manager.

Wants and needs are very different things though. What the squad needs as far as he is concerned is to be good enough to stay up.

Which it has been since it became an Ashley squad rather than one with a lot of legacy from the previous board and since he decided to stop with the pally, standing in the away end in a newcastle shirt shit.

what we want him to do bears no resemblance to what ashley feels it needs though.

Players like Williamson,Gouffran and Obertan are shite but we'll end up keeping them as squad players ( on the cheap due to low wages ) .Ashley may spend big-ish to keep us up but he's not going to spend big to finish 3 or 4 places higher to gain £5m more from the Premier League.

Good point about Southampton's players coming out the blocks from day one.

Wants and needs are very different things though. What the squad needs as far as he is concerned is to be good enough to stay up.

Which it has been since it became an Ashley squad rather than one with a lot of legacy from the previous board and since he decided to stop with the pally, standing in the away end in a newcastle shirt shit.

what we want him to do bears no resemblance to what ashley feels it needs though.

No, need rather than want.

To be competitive you need a balanced squad. To be assured of Premier league football you need a balanced squad. I almost wish his long overdue 'spending spree' :lol: when he got in Debuchy, Sissoko etc had failed as he risks it all every year hoping he has enough for us to get by.

Williamson,Gouffran and Obertan are not good enough for the Premier League.Squad players need to be able to do a job if called upon.These 3 weaken the team too much to be squad players.Robbie Elliott ,Aaron Hughes and Steve Watson at times were squad players but they could do a job.I just don't think we will bring in enough `quality' squad players in the summer,never mind quality 1st team players.I don't expect too many ,if any,incoming 1st team players to float my boat.

No, need rather than want.

To be competitive you need a balanced squad. To be assured of Premier league football you need a balanced squad. I almost wish his long overdue 'spending spree' :lol: when he got in Debuchy, Sissoko etc had failed as he risks it all every year hoping he has enough for us to get by.

We've not had a balanced squad in years & we've survived. It's a risk he's felt comfortable taking each season and it was only when we looked doomed (2 pts off rock bottom 12/01/13) that he panicked and brought forward the purchases of Mbiwa, Debuchy, Haidara, Sissoko and Gouffran.

We've not had a balanced squad in years & we've survived. It's a risk he's felt comfortable taking each season and it was only when we looked doomed (2 pts off rock bottom 12/01/13) that he panicked and brought forward the purchases of Mbiwa, Debuchy, Haidara, Sissoko and Gouffran.

Exactly, so don't expect the spending the squad needs this summer. He'll be hoping to wing it on the minimum investment again then review in January. Mint.

Exactly, so don't expect the spending the squad needs this summer. He'll be hoping to wing it on the minimum investment again then review in January. Mint.

That is the spending the squad needs.

In past years we've always had a couple of quality players to score the goals that cover up the dearth of talent elsewhere in the team. Despite missing most of the season Cisse has largely done that for us this year. I hope they're not relying on him to do it singlehandedly next season.

We've normally had the benefit of players we bought the previous summer and the players who've been here a while.

Not this year; injuries have robbed us of de Jong, Tiote, Colo, Taylor etc. for great swathes of the season. This summer we'll have to bring in a good number of players. We're suffering now because of our acceptable* performance up until the January window.

*to the regime

We've normally had the benefit of players we bought the previous summer and the players who've been here a while.

Not this year; injuries have robbed us of de Jong, Tiote, Colo, Taylor etc. for great swathes of the season. This summer we'll have to bring in a good number of players. We're suffering now because of our acceptable* performance up until the January window.

*to the regime

i don't expect a good number of players to be brought in. i'm holding out hope for one or two good players, but i expect the squad will still be full of holes at the start of the new season.

Edited by Dr Gloom

i don't expect a good number of players to be brought in. i'm holding out hope for one or two good players, but i expect the squad will still be full of holes at the start of the new season.

So what do you think the squad will be next season? Honestly?

So what do you think the squad will be next season? Honestly?

the usual. the odd decent player signed, usually with an eye on whether he's a bargain, or with a good resale value, rather than the player the squad might need. other first teamers sold to make way. little in the way of strength in depth. you know the ashley drill by now as well as i do - why hold out hope for anything better?

i just hope it's slightly stronger than it has been the second half of this season where we've had to play midfielders in defence and a tiny striker with no hold up skills up front on his own for the majority.

the usual. the odd decent player signed, usually with an eye on whether he's a bargain, or with a good resale value, rather than the player the squad might need. other first teamers sold to make way. little in the way of strength in depth. you know the ashley drill by now as well as i do - why hold out hope for anything better?

i just hope it's slightly stronger than it has been the second half of this season where we've had to play midfielders in defence and a tiny striker with no hold up skills up front on his own for the majority.

Sorry I meant personnel-wise. (Not asking for the names of any new signings obviously)

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic