The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

It's a point worth repeating;

Ashley wants a Premier League vehicle for Sports Direct, right?

Then why, in God's name, would he risk the huge income the club will receive by employing John Carver as full time manager? Why would he let Newcastle go the entire season with a threadbare squad on the off chance (and it is an off chance) we'd still be in touch come the January window ( a window that Charnley has stated they don't like using because you don't get value)?

I think there is so much pessimism and depression around the club, people are letting their emotions cloud their judgement.

Bottom line is that Ashley will put enough into the squad & management to keep us up, and that's it.

Is that shit? Yes of course it is, but it's much, much more likely than him risking the vast sums he'd get by keeping us as a going Premier League concern. People are seeming to think he'd risk £118m minimum to save £100k on coaches.

Relegation is a disaster for Ashley and nobody has given me a good reason why he'd do less than what I've said beyond "yeah but he's a cheap cunt".

He is, but he's not a stupid businessman and relegation is a disaster for his business interest.

like he did in 2009?

not to mention this year when he spent fuck all in january and there's still a chance we could get sucked into the bottom three?

he gambles on the club's future. that's why we're all pessimistic. it's based on his track record - nothing's clouding my judgement.

Edited by Dr Gloom

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then why, in God's name, would he risk the huge income the club will receive by employing John Carver as full time manager? Why would he let Newcastle go the entire season with a threadbare squad on the off chance (and it is an off chance) we'd still be in touch come the January window ( a window that Charnley has stated they don't like using because you don't get value)?

I think there is so much pessimism and depression around the club, people are letting their emotions cloud their judgement.

Bottom line is that Ashley will put enough into the squad & management to keep us up, and that's it.

Is that shit? Yes of course it is, but it's much, much more likely than him risking the vast sums he'd get by keeping us as a going Premier League concern. People are seeming to think he'd risk £118m minimum to save £100k on coaches.

Relegation is a disaster for Ashley and nobody has given me a good reason why he'd do less than what I've said beyond "yeah but he's a cheap cunt".

He is, but he's not a stupid businessman and relegation is a disaster for his business interest.

Total agreement on Ashley's motives and that he's not a stupid businessman. But he is a gambler and not someone who knows/cares much about football. Do I think he will intionally leave someone who he thinks is almost certain to fuck us up in charge of a woefully weak squad for spite? No, I think he's spitefull but no so much to cost himself what it would. But I do think he's uninformed enough and a big enough risk taker to think Carver will just about do and he doesn't need much more to do it.

Do I think that will definitely happen? Certainly not but I think it's jusy about as likely as your scenario at this stage.

Williamson,Gouffran and Obertan are not good enough for the Premier League.Squad players need to be able to do a job if called upon.These 3 weaken the team too much to be squad players.Robbie Elliott ,Aaron Hughes and Steve Watson at times were squad players but they could do a job.I just don't think we will bring in enough `quality' squad players in the summer,never mind quality 1st team players.I don't expect too many ,if any,incoming 1st team players to float my boat.

I agree. Every year I say, surely we'll upgrade Willo, and every year there the big lunk is, holding down a first team place like a spasticated carthorse. It's the same for a whole bunch of players who aren't good enough to come in and do a job. The squad's piss poor and every year they refuse to address it.

I fully expect them to continue their one in, one out policy. In all likelihood this summer we'll see Krul, Tiote and Sissoko sold plus Taylor, Sammy and Guti leave; they'll be replaced with a few cheap buys and loans, plus an 8-10 mill striker.

I agree. Every year I say, surely we'll upgrade Willo, and every year there the big lunk is, holding down a first team place like a spasticated carthorse. It's the same for a whole bunch of players who aren't good enough to come in and do a job. The squad's piss poor and every year they refuse to address it.

I fully expect them to continue their one in, one out policy. In all likelihood this summer we'll see Krul, Tiote and Sissoko sold plus Taylor, Sammy and Guti leave; they'll be replaced with a few cheap buys and loans, plus an 8-10 mill striker.

Sounds about right to me. Don't forget De Jong will also be like a new signing as will the Forest kids. :good:

I said he was a cunt, I didn't mention cheap.

Total agreement on Ashley's motives and that he's not a stupid businessman. But he is a gambler and not someone who knows/cares much about football. Do I think he will intionally leave someone who he thinks is almost certain to fuck us up in charge of a woefully weak squad for spite? No, I think he's spitefull but no so much to cost himself what it would. But I do think he's uninformed enough and a big enough risk taker to think Carver will just about do and he doesn't need much more to do it.

Do I think that will definitely happen? Certainly not but I think it's jusy about as likely as your scenario at this stage.

How can he possibly have missed 6 losses in a row? He dragged his chum in for a chat when it happened last season and was ready to swing the axe until Pardew went on that daft run.

I'm not expecting Klopp, but, put it this way... Jonas tweets "Newcastle fans deserve better" and within 10 minutes people are tweeting that Carver has been given the full-time role. This is now being reported as if it's come from anything like a credible source. Then Steve Howey is interviewed by Ryder (or whomever) and then this twitter rumour has credence.

Nobody has a fucking clue what's going on in the club, as has been the case for bloody ages, yet every negative rumour is fact & every positive rumour is ultrabullshit.

Carver won't be head coach, there'll be 3-4 1st squad players and around 1 in 1 out on others.That's my prediction and one that I don't think is overly positive, either.

How can he possibly have missed 6 losses in a row? He dragged his chum in for a chat when it happened last season and was ready to swing the axe until Pardew went on that daft run.

I'm not expecting Klopp, but, put it this way... Jonas tweets "Newcastle fans deserve better" and within 10 minutes people are tweeting that Carver has been given the full-time role. This is now being reported as if it's come from anything like a credible source. Then Steve Howey is interviewed by Ryder (or whomever) and then this twitter rumour has credence.

Nobody has a fucking clue what's going on in the club, as has been the case for bloody ages, yet every negative rumour is fact & every positive rumour is ultrabullshit.

Carver won't be head coach, there'll be 3-4 1st squad players and around 1 in 1 out on others.That's my prediction and one that I don't think is overly positive, either.

Carver was doing shit when he first got the job yet Ashley still thought it was fine to give him it until the end of the season despite everyone with eyes (plus the blind bloke who goes to the match with a radio) seeing that it would be a disaster. And let's not forget JFK. I think you're giving him far too much credibility.

For the record I'm not jumping on anything Jonas has tweeted or Howey has said in an interview. My fears are based on what I have seen from Ashley in the past and for every little January spending spree when we were right in the shit that you can mention I can come back with an appointment of Kinnear or Carver and for every purchase of an actual first teamer at the going rate (ie Cisse) I can point to us bypassing our scouts recommendations and going for the cheap option and hoping for the best (Riviere).

Even if I subscribe to your prediction of Carver being replaced and 4 first teamers being brought in (I don't find this at all far fetched), I have no confidence the players brought in will actually be of suffcient quality to even guarantee our survival let along actually try and compete for anything worthwhile. It's at least as likely that any players brought in will be forth or fifth on Carr's list and will be hopefulls that we can get cheap on an escape clause and we might be able to make a few quid on down the line rather than the correct players for the positions we need. And I think it's more than likely that any squad players that come in will be in the Perez vein of young, lower division French, Spanish, German or Dutch players rather than proven players (such as Colback really because that's the standard of squad player that we should be looking to employ).

Carver was doing shit when he first got the job yet Ashley still thought it was fine to give him it until the end of the season despite everyone with eyes (plus the blind bloke who goes to the match with a radio) seeing that it would be a disaster. And let's not forget JFK. I think you're giving him far too much credibility.

For the record I'm not jumping on anything Jonas has tweeted or Howey has said in an interview. My fears are based on what I have seen from Ashley in the past and for every little January spending spree when we were right in the shit that you can mention I can come back with an appointment of Kinnear or Carver and for every purchase of an actual first teamer at the going rate (ie Cisse) I can point to us bypassing our scouts recommendations and going for the cheap option and hoping for the best (Riviere).

Even if I subscribe to your prediction of Carver being replaced and 4 first teamers being brought in (I don't find this at all far fetched), I have no confidence the players brought in will actually be of suffcient quality to even guarantee our survival let along actually try and compete for anything worthwhile. It's at least as likely that any players brought in will be forth or fifth on Carr's list and will be hopefulls that we can get cheap on an escape clause and we might be able to make a few quid on down the line rather than the correct players for the positions we need. And I think it's more than likely that any squad players that come in will be in the Perez vein of young, lower division French, Spanish, German or Dutch players rather than proven players (such as Colback really because that's the standard of squad player that we should be looking to employ).

I honestly believe if Carver took Barca's squad we would still be hanging on to survival by our fucking fingernails.

I honestly believe if Carver took Barca's squad we would still be hanging on to survival by our fucking fingernails.

Which is why I'm sure it won't be him full time.

The man should be working in Greggs not coaching one of the top twenty football business in Europe but does Ashley know this? Edited by David Kelly

The man should be working in Greggs not coaching one of the top twenty football business in Europe but does Ashley know this?

It is quite amazing that he should have such a large responsibility in the fortunes of a business with a turnover of £130m.

In what other industry could it possibly happen?

It is quite amazing that he should have such a large responsibility in the fortunes of a business with a turnover of £130m.

In what other industry could it possibly happen?

It's the same with Charnley. It just shows you how little Ashley cares about the business. He knows he's never going to make much money from us, we're all about being an advert for Sports Direct and to do that all we have to be is a premier league club.

Sometimes, when I'm on the tube home, I allow myself a little day dream that, when I emerge from the bowels of London in 35 minutes NUFC will have released a statement that Mike Ashley is selling Newcastle to a financially stable consortium of local investors.

Then as I tap out of the barriers and my phone beeps with missed messages, emails and calls, I get a little flutter in my chest. But no, it's just my sister liking a photo on facebook, or Meenzer telling me he's not meeting for a drink later that week and an email promising to improve my bank balance, my physique or my dick with this one crazy trick.

Then I cry.

it's going to happen one day before i die, i hope. the cunt is older than me, and morbidly obese, so hopefully an early age heart attack waiting to happen.

until then lads, we can do nought but suck it up.

Pretty much what we're used to. Young, hungry players who've not proven themselves at the top yet, but show some potential.

Their roles will be dictated by who leaves, I reckon.

Maybe they'll arrive in the same bubble as Remi Garde.

Ashley will sell everything for pennies and turn St James' park into a Sports Direct Warehouse.

Carver will be installed as lifetime manager.

Kinnear reinstated as Director of Football.

Rebranded as Sports Direct United of Newcastle, Black and white stripes changed to red and white, Prices ratcheted up to the point that games are played in front of nobody but Lee Ryder who tells us 5 things we've learned from our defeat to West Allotment Celtic in staccato sentences.

Fuck me this negative thinking is exhausting, how do you all keep going?

Ashley will sell everything for pennies and turn St James' park into a Sports Direct Warehouse.

Carver will be installed as lifetime manager.

Kinnear reinstated as Director of Football.

Rebranded as Sports Direct United of Newcastle, Black and white stripes changed to red and white, Prices ratcheted up to the point that games are played in front of nobody but Lee Ryder who tells us 5 things we've learned from our defeat to West Allotment Celtic in staccato sentences.

Fuck me this negative thinking is exhausting, how do you all keep going?

In all the time Ashley has owned us he has shown zero interest in investment in coaching staff or managers. I don't think it's negative thinking to disagree with your assertion that he's about to start doing so.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic