The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Less than £60 million then.

About £50m less (net) I reckon, as they will fail to get most of these 'deals' over the line (expected more bids for our players).

Thats just because you dont understand how hard it is to compete with massive clubs like Southampton and Swansea.

Newcastle fans and their unrealistic expectations :huff:

I find fault with your logic; Pogba couldn't get a game for Man Utd, neither could Pique. Now both are at the top of their games at different clubs. Carlos Vela couldn't get a game for West Brom.

Carlos Tevez and Mascherano struggled to get game time for a certain Mr Pardew at West Ham.

Guiseppe Rossi couldn't get a game for Newcastle United.

Hatem Ben Arfa can't get a game for Newcastle United.

I don't see any logic from you there at all. All the clubs you mention there are premiership clubs (with the possible exception of WBA at the time Vela was there. I can't remember if they were still in the Championship). St Mirren are a struggling team playing in the Scottish Premiership which is, as I stated, approximate to the quality of League 1. My logic is that at the age of 19, if a player is going to make it in the premiership, he should be able to get a game for St Mirren. Newton has played more minutes than any other player in that league this season for the same club and yet we have agreed to release him and no one expects to see him in our league next season.

The other problem with your logic is that that all of those other players (with the exception of HBA) were either young lads from other countries or foreigners in their first season in this country. None of them had been brought up in our way of football so it follows that they would take longer to settle into starting elevens here (especially for Arsenal and Manure).

Yaya Toure couldn't get a contract at Arsenal.

Sometimes players just slip through the net and don't shine until a certain point in their career.

troyabed.gif

My point was that sometimes it's not just a lack of talent that prevents a player from making appearances and I'm not going to write off a player, just because he's not getting a game in a league that emphasises size & strength above speed and skill.

Edited by The Fish

Yaya Toure couldn't get a contract at Arsenal.

Sometimes players just slip through the net and don't shine until a certain point in their career.

Would they have had to pay to sign him at that point? That would surely make a difference on whether a club would take a risk on them. And your also talking about Arsenal not thinking he was good enough to play in England as oppose to St Mirren not thinking he's worth a game in Scotland/

It's still a valid point though. But it doesn't make it wrong for me say that Campbell looks like he won't make it based on what's happened when he's gone on loan to Scotland.

Campbell's size is also going to work against him. You have to be very good to make it at the top level while having the disadvantage of being a dwarf.

troyabed.gif

My point was that sometimes it's not just a lack of talent that prevents a player from making appearances and I'm not going to write off a player, just because he's not getting a game in a league that emphasises size & strength above speed and skill.

I'll take that as fair point. You're right there's many other reasons that may have stopped him getting game this season.

I'm willing to bet right now though he'll never make it as a premier league striker.

I'll take that as fair point. You're right there's many other reasons that may have stopped him getting game this season.

I'm willing to bet right now though he'll never make it as a premier league striker.

Given the odds are so stacked against him; injuries, coaches, competition for places... I don't think I'll take that bet. I'm not saying he definitely will, just that I won't write him off yet.

Given the odds are so stacked against him; injuries, coaches, competition for places... I don't think I'll take that bet. I'm not saying he definitely will, just that I won't write him off yet.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't here next season (along with pretty much all of the other players we sent our on loan)but even given our current lack of options I don't think we'll see much of him at all.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he wasn't here next season (along with pretty much all of the other players we sent our on loan)but even given our current lack of options I don't think we'll see much of him at all.

Such a shame. He wasn't just another "next Shearer" kid, he seemed to be getting praise from external sources, winning awards etc.

I blame Ashley.

I think we over hype every young striker that comes through. Brayson, Robinson, Coppinger, Chopra, Campbell and Armstrong all come to mind (possibly Joe Allon and Anth Lormer too back in the 80's).

We're just desperate for a local lad to come through and be a star. Gazza is really the only great player that has came through our ranks probably since something like the 50's?

For me, in what little we've seen of him Armstrong already looks like he's got a bit more about him than Campbell. In one of the games he came on he sprayed a very nice cross field ball to someone and he had a bit dribble in another. Campbell only ever seemed to lay off little passes.

Armstrong also seems to be able to score a variety of goals. Some of the goals he's scored for England have been belters from 25 yards (yes they've been against poor opposition but that doesn't change the quality of the strike).

I fear though that like Campbell his size will hamper him at the top level so I'm miles away from getting my hopes up yet.

Is this Armstrong lad in the same mould as him? Havent seen him play. Likely to go down the same road?

Hasn't come with anywhere near the same amount of celebration, but yeah he's likely to go the same route under this regime.

Such a shame. He wasn't just another "next Shearer" kid, he seemed to be getting praise from external sources, winning awards etc.

I blame Ashley.

Ashley, Ashley, Ashley. Sometimes, and that includes Geordies, just aren't good enough. Have a look at the history. But fuck it, I want to belong, so I blame Ashley too. :lol:

Hasn't come with anywhere near the same amount of celebration, but yeah he's likely to go the same route under this regime.

That's the sad truth. You have no confidence at all that we have the conditions to bring young lads through who can develop into quality players.

That's the sad truth. You have no confidence at all that we have the conditions to bring young lads through who can develop into quality players.

And how long has this happened for?

This isn't Ashley's fault. This is a grassroot's problem.

To be depressingly honest, if I had a little'un who showed promise I doubt I'd want him going through Newcastle's Youth System... Prefer him to go to Boro' or the likes.

I think there's a lack of proper funding and has been for decades.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic