Souness after Anelka (again)

Scottish Mag

NEWCASTLE boss Graeme Souness is making a £6million move to bring Nicolas Anelka back to the Premiership - at the second attempt.

Souness has been given the green light to try to do a deal with Turkish side Fenerbahce for the French star after he revealed he wanted to join the Toon.

The under-fire Newcastle chief hopes that his money men will finance the move after being tipped off that Anelka could go for around £6m with the Geordies offering a play-now-pay-later scheme.

Newcastle offered £9m for Anelka just four months ago when they were worried that Michael Owen would choose Liverpool ahead of them, but that bid was rejected.

Souness would have to take Anelka on loan or offer staged payments because the coffers are almost empty after some heavy spending. Chairman Freddy Shepherd has not given Souness any money during this transfer window while results are poor, but Newcastle know that they must find a long-term replacement for Alan Shearer.

Owen, who is currently out with a broken foot, has filled one jersey but not Shearer's and the veteran striker still plans to go at the end of the season.

The Toon do not want to miss out on Anelka and Everton have been pushing hard for him - with offers to buy or take on loan.

Souness would be delighted to sign Anelka and pair him with Shearer now while Owen recovers from his broken foot. It could transform his season and possibly save his job.

For Newcastle the deal would also be proof that they are willing to end big on the right players.

It would be a massive gamble by Souness to risk saving Toon's season on a player with such a controversial history.

After a successful spell with Arsenal, the Frenchman has spent time with Real Madrid, PSG, Liverpool, Manchester City and Fenerbahce but has always failed to settle.

LIFE AND CRIMES

Feb 1997: Joins Arsenal for £500,000 and wins the Double.

August 1999: Refuses to train with the Gunners and demands move to Lazio or Real Madrid. Eventually sold to Real for £23m.

March 2000: Suspended by Real for 45 days after refusing to train.

July 2000: Moves to Paris Saint-Germain.

December 2001: Falls out with PSG and is loaned to Liverpool.

June 2002: Liverpool refuse to sign Anelka who joins Manchester City for £13m.

November 2002: Refuses to link up with French national squad.

January 2003: Retires from international football.

December 2004: Tells City fans he wants to move to a "big club".

January 2005: Joins Turkish side Fenerbahce in a £7m deal.

May 2005: Claims he wants to move back to Liverpool after growing unhappy in Turkey.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

We're fucked...

We need a striker or 2...and noone at our place seems to be able to spot them until they're expensive and or moody. If we sell one arsey striker just to replace him with another one for even more money we're idiots.

If we don't buy a decent striker we're done for.

Luckily we have a shrewd and astute manager....

More chance of putting the ball in the net than Ameobi or Chopra and, given our current situation, we can't be that choosy....

I'd prefer to take him on loan for the season and buy him in the summer if he's up to scratch tbh.

More chance of putting the ball in the net than Ameobi or Chopra and, given our current situation, we can't be that choosy....

I'd prefer to take him on loan for the season and buy him in the summer if he's up to scratch tbh.

80450[/snapback]

Sounds about the best option

Souness would be delighted to sign Anelka and pair him with Shearer now while Owen recovers from his broken foot

80440[/snapback]

I hope we get him too but I thought Shearer was to be used sparingly this season?

Why is it still Shearer plus one other?

Its funny how the mood changes things. When he was courted in the summer a lot of people mentioned that they thought he had grown up. He had jettisoned his odious brothers as agents and had been no problem at Liverpool or Man City.

Now that we may go after him again in the current climate its back to "moody frenchman" and "worse tham Bellamy".

I'm with Gemmill - I'd love him to come.

Well I hope we get him.

80449[/snapback]

Given your track record of footballing opinions that is a good reason to leave well alone. ;)

But seriously Gemmill, don't you see a tiny problem with buying someone who probably has one of the most disruptive records in football? Can you see any hypocrisy on Souness's part here?

I was looking at his goal scoring record the other day anyway and it's not very impressive. I know people will say he can do other things, but for me that is besides the point - we desperately need someone who can put the ball in the back of the net regularly, because we can't rely on Owen.

Besides, where do people think we are going to magic the money from? Let's face, we're skint thanks to Souness's incompetence.

Its funny how the mood changes things. When he was courted in the summer a lot of people mentioned that they thought he had grown up.* He had jettisoned his odious brothers as agents and had been no problem at Liverpool or Man City.**

Now that we may go after him again in the current climate its back to "moody frenchman" and "worse tham Bellamy".

80465[/snapback]

* I think Souness thought he'd grown up, not sure about the rest of us !

** Comments stating that he wanted to leave Man City for a "bigger club", great attitude !

Whilst I fully believe Owen isn't anywhere near 100% happy here and his main motivation for coming was money, at least you know he'll be proffessional both on and off the pitch about it. Anelka on the other hand will have the same reasons for coming here, but when he's not happy he's proven in the past that he simply can't be bothered. However, we're desperate and he actually wants to come.

Its funny how the mood changes things. When he was courted in the summer a lot of people mentioned that they thought he had grown up. He had jettisoned his odious brothers as agents and had been no problem at Liverpool or Man City.

80465[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but look at his track record - why is he never happy for more than a year at any club? What on Earth makes you think he will settle at this shambles of a club?

I honestly can't fathom the sheer hypocrisy of people on here bearing in mind the Bellamy situation.

80465[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but look at his track record - why is he never happy for more than a year at any club? What on Earth makes you think he will settle at this shambles of a club?

I honestly can't fathom the sheer hypocrisy of people on here bearing in mind the Bellamy situation.

80474[/snapback]

I know its bad but aren't people allowed to grow up? If its true Keegan was consulted in the summer then thats a good sign - he certainly never stood for player tantrums or bad attitude.

It looks like he's trying to engineer a move now but thats something every player does - because of his record he is now being called more for doing it.

Just to add on the year thing - he wanted to sign for Liverpool and Man City sold him to clear their debt.

Edited by NJS

80465[/snapback]

80474[/snapback]

I know its bad but aren't people allowed to grow up? If its true Keegan was consulted in the summer then thats a good sign - he certainly never stood for player tantrums or bad attitude.

It looks like he's trying to engineer a move now but thats something every player does - because of his record he is now being called more for doing it.

Just to add on the year thing - he wanted to sign for Liverpool and Man City sold him to clear their debt.

80476[/snapback]

So Liverpool didn't want him then - why not? According to the article above, he obviously wanted to leave city too. Now he wants to leave Turkey. Come on man, he's the biggest mercenary in football, with an apalling record (e.g. refusing to train - who does that remind you of). Plus his goal scoring record is pretty average at best!

I despair that we are destined to make the same mistakes again and again. Not this time though, because we're skint I reckon.

Renton, why are you so intent on throwing around accusations of hypocrisy? What's hypocritical about getting rid of a player that called you a liar on TV and then signing one who hasn't. The accusations of hypocrisy towards fans, I really don't understand either - Anelka has done nowt to me. Are you some sort of moral crusader?

This is just yet another thing you can bash Souness with and accuse him of double standards over, as far as I can see.

So Liverpool didn't want him then - why not? According to the article above, he obviously wanted to leave city too. Now he wants to leave Turkey. Come on man, he's the biggest mercenary in football, with an apalling record (e.g. refusing to train - who does that remind you of). Plus his goal scoring record is pretty average at best!

I despair that we are destined to make the same mistakes again and again. Not this time though, because we're skint I reckon.

80480[/snapback]

I have no problem with people having concerns - I'd actually prefer a loan deal if its possible to see how he works out - I'm just worried we'll get nobody.

Renton, why are you so intent on throwing around accusations of hypocrisy?  What's hypocritical about getting rid of a player that called you a liar on TV and then signing one who hasn't.  The accusations of hypocrisy towards fans, I really don't understand either - Anelka has done nowt to me.  Are you some sort of moral crusader?

This is just yet another thing you can bash Souness with and accuse him of double standards over, as far as I can see.

80481[/snapback]

FFS Gemmill, if you can't see how this is hypocritical on Souness's part then that's up to you. The whole concept of the worst man-manager managing a player famous for his bad temperment and disloyalty is absurd to me.

Strikes me you will defend Souness to the end though.

I can see both sides tbh. It's not hypocritical in that Anelka hasn't fallen out with Souness, hasn't burned his bridges with the Toon, etc. However, I could definitely see it ending in tears.

I can see both sides tbh. It's not hypocritical in that Anelka hasn't fallen out with Souness, hasn't burned his bridges with the Toon, etc. However, I could definitely see it ending in tears.

80495[/snapback]

Is he a proper player using Souness's definition (whatever that is)? If not, Souness is surely a hypocrite.

80495[/snapback]

Is he a proper player using Souness's definition (whatever that is)? If not, Souness is surely a hypocrite.

80497[/snapback]

You don't even know what Souness's definition of a proper player is, but Souness is a hypocrite since you don't think Anelka fits that criteria? Have I got that right? :rolleyes:

80495[/snapback]

80497[/snapback]

You don't even know what Souness's definition of a proper player is, but Souness is a hypocrite since you don't think Anelka fits that criteria? Have I got that right? :rolleyes:

80500[/snapback]

Yes, I think he's a hypocrite. Souness has never written down what defines a proper player, but I can hardly think of a player less likely to fit the bill than Anelka.

I am actually astonished anyone thinks he can be successful here.