Souness after Anelka (again)

Scottish Mag

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Renton, why are you so intent on throwing around accusations of hypocrisy?  What's hypocritical about getting rid of a player that called you a liar on TV and then signing one who hasn't.  The accusations of hypocrisy towards fans, I really don't understand either - Anelka has done nowt to me.  Are you some sort of moral crusader?

This is just yet another thing you can bash Souness with and accuse him of double standards over, as far as I can see.

80481[/snapback]

FFS Gemmill, if you can't see how this is hypocritical on Souness's part then that's up to you. The whole concept of the worst man-manager managing a player famous for his bad temperment and disloyalty is absurd to me.

Strikes me you will defend Souness to the end though.

80494[/snapback]

I'm not defending him. I just think that you're going way over the top with this one. I don't think there is a player in the world that you wouldn't find some problem with us signing so that you could harp on about Souness tbh.

I'd like us to get Anelka, you apparently wouldn't, but right at the minute I'm not sure ANYONE would pass the Renton acceptability test.

I honestly can't fathom the sheer hypocrisy of people on here bearing in mind the Bellamy situation.

80474[/snapback]

Agree. I'd like him to come here simply because he's a good player and we've got no-one who can score goals, but the hypocrisy from Souness (and certain message board users :rolleyes: defies belief! If Bellamy was a disruptive cancer, what the hell does that make Anelka? I don't think he could be further from Souness' image of proper players, warriors and obedient yes-men.

I honestly can't fathom the sheer hypocrisy of people on here bearing in mind the Bellamy situation.

80474[/snapback]

Agree. I'd like him to come here simply because he's a good player and we've got no-one who can score goals, but the hypocrisy from Souness (and certain message board users :rolleyes: defies belief! If Bellamy was a disruptive cancer, what the hell does that make Anelka? I don't think he could be further from Souness' image of proper players, warriors and obedient yes-men.

80530[/snapback]

I don't understand the Anelka:Bellamy comparison.

I'm glad a player of his calibre wants to join us, in the state we're in, we need him.

Renton, why are you so intent on throwing around accusations of hypocrisy?  What's hypocritical about getting rid of a player that called you a liar on TV and then signing one who hasn't.  The accusations of hypocrisy towards fans, I really don't understand either - Anelka has done nowt to me.  Are you some sort of moral crusader?

This is just yet another thing you can bash Souness with and accuse him of double standards over, as far as I can see.

80481[/snapback]

FFS Gemmill, if you can't see how this is hypocritical on Souness's part then that's up to you. The whole concept of the worst man-manager managing a player famous for his bad temperment and disloyalty is absurd to me.

80494[/snapback]

I'm not defending him. I just think that you're going way over the top with this one. I don't think there is a player in the world that you wouldn't find some problem with us signing so that you could harp on about Souness tbh.

I'd like us to get Anelka, you apparently wouldn't, but right at the minute I'm not sure ANYONE would pass the Renton acceptability test.

80520[/snapback]

You think I go over the top about everything, even though history has shown I tend to underestimate our troubles! :rolleyes: But I'm sorry, that post is just patent bollocks. I actually rarely participate in these speculation threads about players, usually because I do not know enough about the player involved, especially if they are from a foreign league. However, I think I know enough about Anelka to predict he would be completely unsuitable for us.

Also, the fact that Anelka has not specifically had a problem with Souness or NUFC is irrelevant. Before we signed Souness, NUFC obviously did not have any problem with him. However, it was obvious to me from his track record he would be bad for the club; the same principal applies to Anelka. It's called having foresight Gemmill, you'd do well to try it one day.

80474[/snapback]

Agree. I'd like him to come here simply because he's a good player and we've got no-one who can score goals, but the hypocrisy from Souness (and certain message board users :yes defies belief! If Bellamy was a disruptive cancer, what the hell does that make Anelka? I don't think he could be further from Souness' image of proper players, warriors and obedient yes-men.

80530[/snapback]

Is that a bad thing? The way I look at it whether Souness is a hypocrite or not is totally irrelevant. Nicholas Anelka wants to come here, and Souness wants to sign him - to me that's a good thing. To you and Renton it's something to be frowned upon. Weird. :rolleyes:

80474[/snapback]

80530[/snapback]

I don't understand the Anelka:Bellamy comparison.

I'm glad a player of his calibre wants to join us, in the state we're in, we need him.

80531[/snapback]

See my post above - I do want him to join because he's a good player. It's pretty obvious to me that his attitude and commitment makes Bellamy look like a model professional though, thus making Souness a hypocrite for wanting Bellamy out.

80474[/snapback]

Agree. I'd like him to come here simply because he's a good player and we've got no-one who can score goals, but the hypocrisy from Souness (and certain message board users :yes defies belief! If Bellamy was a disruptive cancer, what the hell does that make Anelka? I don't think he could be further from Souness' image of proper players, warriors and obedient yes-men.

80530[/snapback]

Is that a bad thing? The way I look at it whether Souness is a hypocrite or not is totally irrelevant. Nicholas Anelka wants to come here, and Souness wants to sign him - to me that's a good thing. To you and Renton it's something to be frowned upon. Weird. :rolleyes:

80537[/snapback]

See my other posts - I do want him to join...

80481[/snapback]

80494[/snapback]

80520[/snapback]

You think I go over the top about everything, even though history has shown I tend to underestimate our troubles! :rolleyes: But I'm sorry, that post is just patent bollocks. I actually rarely participate in these speculation threads about players, usually because I do not know enough about the player involved, especially if they are from a foreign league. However, I think I know enough about Anelka to predict he would be completely unsuitable for us.

Also, the fact that Anelka has not specifically had a problem with Souness or NUFC is irrelevant. Before we signed Souness, NUFC obviously did not have any problem with him. However, it was obvious to me from his track record he would be bad for the club; the same principal applies to Anelka. It's called having foresight Gemmill, you'd do well to try it one day.

80535[/snapback]

;)

Maybe you could teach me, oh master. :yes Look, you're not happy about Anelka, that's fine, it's the fact that you start whining on about hypocrisy on behalf of both Souness and other posters that's annoying. I do believe though that whoever we tried to sign at the minute you'd have a problem with them - it's what you live for. :o

See my post above - I do want him to join because he's a good player. It's pretty obvious to me that his attitude and commitment makes Bellamy look like a model professional though, thus making Souness a hypocrite for wanting Bellamy out.

80539[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware he was a model professional at Man City and Liverpool, I must admit the way he's gone about engineering a move out of Turkey worries me a little.

Not really worried about Souness have time to fuck things up with Anelka, who really believes he'll still be here in August?

80539[/snapback]

As far as I'm aware he was a model professional at Man City and Liverpool, I must admit the way he's gone about engineering a move out of Turkey worries me a little.

Not really worried about Souness have time to fuck things up with Anelka, who really believes he'll still be here in August?

80542[/snapback]

I don't think Anelka would still be here in August either. He has to be one of the most notorious troublemakers in European football and I don't think he would do too well or like it too much in a struggling team like ours. He would probably want out at the end of the season anyway...it would still be good to get him in until the end of the season though. He has done well in this league before and he would get us goals.

80481[/snapback]

80494[/snapback]

80520[/snapback]

80535[/snapback]

:angry:

Maybe you could teach me, oh master. :o Look, you're not happy about Anelka, that's fine, it's the fact that you start whining on about hypocrisy on behalf of both Souness and other posters that's annoying. I do believe though that whoever we tried to sign at the minute you'd have a problem with them - it's what you live for. ;)

80541[/snapback]

OK, fine, we have a difference of opinion for a change. :yes

I might add that I find you saying I'd have a problem with us signing any player annoying, as my problem is specifically with Anelka. I have fully supported some Souness signings (Owen and Parker spring to mind).

80481[/snapback]

80494[/snapback]

80520[/snapback]

80535[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Maybe you could teach me, oh master. ;) Look, you're not happy about Anelka, that's fine, it's the fact that you start whining on about hypocrisy on behalf of both Souness and other posters that's annoying. I do believe though that whoever we tried to sign at the minute you'd have a problem with them - it's what you live for. :angry:

80541[/snapback]

I might add that I find you saying I'd have a problem with us signing any player annoying, as my problem is specifically with Anelka. I have fully supported some Souness signings (Owen and Parker spring to mind).

80546[/snapback]

Annoying you is what I live for. :o

80481[/snapback]

80494[/snapback]

80520[/snapback]

80535[/snapback]

:icon_lol:

Maybe you could teach me, oh master. :angry: Look, you're not happy about Anelka, that's fine, it's the fact that you start whining on about hypocrisy on behalf of both Souness and other posters that's annoying. I do believe though that whoever we tried to sign at the minute you'd have a problem with them - it's what you live for. :icon_lol:

80541[/snapback]

80546[/snapback]

Annoying you is what I live for. :o

80547[/snapback]

And chips :razz:

;)

I don't think Anelka would still be here in August either. He has to be one of the most notorious troublemakers in European football and I don't think he would do too well or like it too much in a struggling team like ours. He would probably want out at the end of the season anyway...it would still be good to get him in until the end of the season though. He has done well in this league before and he would get us goals.

80544[/snapback]

Can you elaborate? If I'm wrong then fair enough, but my impression was that Liverpool fans felt Houllier had made a big mistake not taking him on full-time and that Man City fans were happy with him. I'm also not aware of him being a disruption in the dressing room or a party animal in recent times. I don't blame quality players for not wanting to stay at a club flirting with relegation, loyalty from players is a rare commodity, I'd rather the honesty than the bollocks we get from most of them.

80544[/snapback]

Can you elaborate? If I'm wrong then fair enough, but my impression was that Liverpool fans felt Houllier had made a big mistake not taking him on full-time and that Man City fans were happy with him. I'm also not aware of him being a disruption in the dressing room or a party animal in recent times. I don't blame quality players for not wanting to stay at a club flirting with relegation, loyalty from players is a rare commodity, I'd rather the honesty than the bollocks we get from most of them.

80555[/snapback]

Oh come on, just read through the first post in this thread:

LIFE AND CRIMES

Feb 1997: Joins Arsenal for £500,000 and wins the Double.

August 1999: Refuses to train with the Gunners and demands move to Lazio or Real Madrid. Eventually sold to Real for £23m.

March 2000: Suspended by Real for 45 days after refusing to train.

July 2000: Moves to Paris Saint-Germain.

December 2001: Falls out with PSG and is loaned to Liverpool.

June 2002: Liverpool refuse to sign Anelka who joins Manchester City for £13m.

November 2002: Refuses to link up with French national squad.

January 2003: Retires from international football.

December 2004: Tells City fans he wants to move to a "big club".

May 2005: Claims he wants to move back to Liverpool after growing unhappy in Turkey.

The way he's engineering a move now isn't exactly professional either - Fenerbahce fans must be impressed...again, I think he's a good player, but just because he's likely to sign for us doesn't mean we should pretend he's anything other than a troublemaker.

Surely as we've all agreed Souness has a less than long-term future then we can include Anelka in the same context as I've thought of our recent good signings - signing good players can't hurt anyway as managers are generally transitory.

BTW if you take way the Man City comments (which I'm not convinced by) then all his problems look pretty historic.

Last "offence" in club football looks to be 5 years ago when he was what, 21(?)? If he's not happy in Turkey and wants to play in the Premiership then you can't really complain about him "engineering" a move. ANY footballer who didn't want to see out his contract at a club would do the same, it's not specific to "troublemakers".

I agree with you about the way he moves to other clubs, that gets to me. A player like him wants Europe, if we can deliver that he'll stay, same goes for Owen.

Falling out with the French national side? There's more players have done that than have ever played for them; it's the national pass-time.

I just think the media have massively over-stated the problems because they came up with a catchy name for him.

I agree with you about the way he moves to other clubs, that gets to me.  A player like him wants Europe, if we can deliver that he'll stay, same goes for Owen.

80585[/snapback]

Like I said though, if Owen was unhappy (which he is) I'd still expect him to put the graft in both on and off the pitch. He's a pro, and even though he came for the money I'd expect him to carry on regardless, you know he'd be gving near enough 100%. Anelka on the other hand has proven in the past that when he's not happy with the club (which has happened quite a lot) then he simply can't be arsed and he's got his brothers working on his next move. I think he's a canny player, far better than Shola, Chopra, and Shearer (present, not past) but for me signing him is still a big risk. Especially with Souness in charge. The Beast has shown that if you don't tow the line then you can fuck off. Which is why I agree wth Renton when he says this is a strange one from Souness. Not the kind of player I'd expect him to get on with.

Still, desperate times call for desperate measures, and Christ are we desperate!

Like I said though, if Owen was unhappy (which he is) I'd still expect him to put the graft in both on and off the pitch. He's a pro, and even though he came for the money I'd expect him to carry on regardless, you know he'd be gving near enough 100%. Anelka on the other hand has proven in the past that when he's not happy with the club (which has happened quite a lot) then he simply can't be arsed and he's got his brothers working on his next move. I think he's a canny player, far better than Shola, Chopra, and Shearer (present, not past) but for me signing him is still a big risk. Especially with Souness in charge. The Beast has shown that if you don't tow the line then you can fuck off. Which is why I agree wth Renton when he says this is a strange one from Souness. Not the kind of player I'd expect him to get on with.

Still, desperate times call for desperate measures, and Christ are we desperate!

80600[/snapback]

Was he not making the effort for City at the end, and is he doing the same thing for Fener now? If so, then I agree, very risky. But we need him, so, loan move?