Michael Owen

Baggio

United rule out move for Owen

By Mihir Bose and William Johnson (Filed: 02/08/2005)

Manchester United have no plans to sign Michael Owen from Real Madrid, well-informed sources close to Old Trafford have told The Daily Telegraph.

Despite fevered speculation that a deal to link up Owen with Wayne Rooney was inevitable, United have joined Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool in ruling out a move for the unwanted England striker.

No takers: Michael Owen is facing up to more time on the bench

Speculation that United might make a move for Owen heightened at the weekend following comments by chief executive David Gill that if Sir Alex Ferguson wanted to buy a leading player then the money was available.

That was interpreted as a green light for United to buy Owen, but sources close to the club say it was a general statement indicating that the new owners, the Glazer family, had not put a block on spending.

Owen clearly wants to move from Madrid. He has not established any long-term roots in the city, does not speak the language and the arrival of two new Brazilians, Julio Baptista and Robinho, means he could now be the fifth-choice striker at Real, a long way behind the front runners, Raul and Ronaldo.

Last season Owen made only 26 starts, coming on as substitute in 19 other matches, and scoring a total of 16 goals. With the World Cup coming up he needs to be sure of a more regular place.

Even before the end of last season, approaches were made on Owen's behalf to English clubs about a possible move and Chelsea were one of the clubs sounded out but showed no interest. Arsenal's Arsene Wenger is an admirer but has said he does not consider signing Owen a priority and, in any case, might not be able to afford him.

While Real might sell Owen for around £10 million, providing them with a £2 million profit on what they paid Liverpool last season, there are Owen's considerable wages, which are believed to be near £5 million a year, to be taken into account.

Such an outlay would be a deterrent to any English club, even United where it could upset the wage structure and cause complications in the ongoing efforts to persuade Rio Ferdinand to extend his present contract, which runs out in two years' time.

There has been talk that if no English club are interested in Owen on a permanent basis then the only possibility of a return to the Premiership would be a loan to Liverpool. Yet this, too, seems unlikely and Rafael Benitez, the manager, last night declared he had no intention of exploiting his club's option to re-sign their former striker.

.......................................................................................................................

Running out of options now it seems...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If we did have a hope in hell in getting Owen then now would obviously be the time to at least attempt to sign him. If not then at least you can say we tried.

6290[/snapback]

but why embarrass ourselves further? He's made it clear he doesnt want to come here so case closed!

Owen wants CL football or at the very least, UEFA Cup football.

If there is any truth in this report at all, the only chance we will ever have of getting is by getting through the Intertoto Cup.

Personally I think he'll probably move on to another club in Europe in Man Utd aren't interested.

Oh, and I wouldn't rule Chelsea out, just yet! :lol:

As we did with wayne rooney, with no intention or hope of getting the player to sign for the TOON. Another Fat Controller master stroke.

6296[/snapback]

Agreed. I thought it was a con, and said so at the time.

Besides which yesterday at tea time it was said that Fergie had been given the go ahead by Glaser to SIGN Owen.

I think our only chance of signing him if this is true. No one else is going to go for him unless one of the Italian sides make a shock bid. Playing regularly for a side not in Europe is surely better than being 5th choice surely.

We have to put in a bid for him, he's the exact player we require. I don't think he would fit the formation that everyone seems to think we are going to play, but in terms of a big name signing to dispell critics, there's noone better. Nobody keeps his nose clean like Mickey Owen and that I think is the major point to consider. The purchase of a model professional

I'd be very surprised if Shepperd doesn't put a bid in for him.

Whether he'd come or not is difficult to judge, if we can get UEFA cup football then perhaps. I can't see him in Italy really, but that would be the only place he'd be able to pick up the wages that he'd get here. If Freddie can convince him to come (probably using Alan as bait as well as the other signings we've made so far) then it would be a major coup, and would probably be the best signing we've made since the big man

The danger with going for Owen is that we take our eye off the ball with Anelka. Owen won't come to Newcastle, but if we waste time and energy trying to sign him just to bolster Shepherd's ego, instead of focussing that time and energy on getting Anelka, we'll end up with no one.

The danger with going for Owen is that we take our eye off the ball with Anelka.  Owen won't come to Newcastle, but if we waste time and energy trying to sign him just to bolster Shepherd's ego, instead of focussing that time and energy on getting Anelka, we'll end up with no one.

6415[/snapback]

Which unfortunately is exactly what's going to happen.

We'll end this summer with Owen or Smith.

My money is unfortunately on it being Smith.

6459[/snapback]

No we won't. Man United won't sell Smith. They've already decided that he's going to play a holding role in midfield to replace Keane.

6459[/snapback]

No we won't. Man United won't sell Smith. They've already decided that he's going to play a holding role in midfield to replace Keane.

6465[/snapback]

More likely to be Saha. Buying back a player we once had on our books for an extortionate amount of money seems about right for this club.

6459[/snapback]

6465[/snapback]

More likely to be Saha. Buying back a player we once had on our books for an extortionate amount of money seems about right for this club.

6475[/snapback]

We did only have him on loan though. How much would he have cost us, do we know?

This just got my hopes up then i realised it wont ever happen :lol:

6519[/snapback]

There's one slight hope of this happening. Shearer and Owen are good friends - perhaps Owen would like the chance to play alongside Shearer just for one season?

This just got my hopes up then i realised it wont ever happen :lol:

6519[/snapback]

There's one slight hope of this happening. Shearer and Owen are good friends - perhaps Owen would like the chance to play alongside Shearer just for one season?

6526[/snapback]

I was thinking that, but Wor Al would take all his money off him with gambling :lol:

I think your right, if Al could have a chat in his shell like, but still, wont happen :lol:

Although I think Owen coming here is very unlikely, it is the season before the next World cup and Owen would be the first name on our team sheet, the same could not be said if he went to Man U.

Although I think Owen coming here is very unlikely, it is the season before the next World cup and Owen would be the first name on our team sheet, the same could not be said if he went to Man U.

6532[/snapback]

Maybe not, but you can guarantee he will be first on the team sheet for England, no matter where he plays, even if he stayed at Madrid. This world cup talk is a bit of a nonsense in my opinion.

6532[/snapback]

Maybe not, but you can guarantee he will be first on the team sheet for England, no matter where he plays, even if he stayed at Madrid. This world cup talk is a bit of a nonsense in my opinion.

6584[/snapback]

If he stayed at Real Madrid and didn't play, he could potentially lose his England place.

6532[/snapback]

6584[/snapback]

If he stayed at Real Madrid and didn't play, he could potentially lose his England place.

6586[/snapback]

This is a big season for Owen and other young England strikers, Rooney, Defoe they will all be putting a bit extra in to get to the world cup, Owen knows this and maybe a big maybe that could work in our favour.