Michael Owen

Baggio

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't think there is any chance of signing Owen. 10 years ago we showed the ambition to sign player like this - and we did - but now, no chance. If I was a top player I wouldn't play for Souness.

But I do think that this Mihir Bose is one of the biggest tosser in the world of journalism.

Still remember him calling the mackems chairman Bob Reid....quality paper and quality journo - NOT.

Best journalist is Brian Reade of the Mirror, and John Sadler of the Sun. Because they are down to earth, say it like it is and get their facts right because they know their football.

Best journalist is Brian Reade of the Mirror, and John Sadler of the Sun. Because they are down to earth, say it like it is and get their facts right because they know their football.

6600[/snapback]

that has to be a windup

6600[/snapback]

that has to be a windup

6627[/snapback]

Why ? Are you a newspaper snob ?

Fact is, Reade and Sadler know their football, and they aren't full of their own self importance like some of the others, no matter which paper they write for.

For instance, do you think Henry Winter is good, just because he writes for a certain papers, or do you think he's just a self important prick ?

Edited by LeazesMag

6600[/snapback]

that has to be a windup

6627[/snapback]

Fact is, Reade and Sadler know their football, and they aren't full of their own self importance like some of the others, no matter which paper they write for.

For instance, do you think Henry Winter is good, just because he writes for a certain papers, or do you think he's just a self important prick ?

6631[/snapback]

i read every newspaper (broadsheets, tabloids and rags like the express and the mail) - it's part of my job.

i can't stand sadler personally...almost as bad as steve howard, that other cretin that writes for the sun. bog-standard reactionary crap if you ask me, but it sells papers.

david lacey imo was the best sports commentator in the business. shame he only files a weekly column these days.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/readeonsport...name_index.html

you'll have read this then.

Tons better than the "oh but he knows what he's doing" "he'll get it right" "of course the geordies need a cup and Souness has won 2 league cups" "Souness was a winner at Rangers"...blah blah and the usual condescending crap from the london based rags.

For instance.

6600[/snapback]

that has to be a windup

6627[/snapback]

6631[/snapback]

I like a lot of what Henry Winter writes but his one man mission to destroy Lee Bowyer is a joke.

I'm not a fan of Bose but he does usually get to the fact of the matter (despite his Reid/Murray typo).

The more I think of this part of that article, the more I think he has it spot on.

"Souness would argue that all those players were in the wrong, just as every referee he lambasts is in the wrong. Because in Souness's head he has to be the winner. He was on the pitch. An unflinching warrior whose trophies back up his self-belief.

But as a manager, real, big-time success hasn't arrived. Yet he still has to believe he's the victor. So instead of winning titles he has to win arguments, with compromise a no-go area. "

We have a manager who is basically an adequate, and a failure, and he knows it.

And he is basically too thick to realise he isn't a winner at all, for peddling players like he does, everyone's a loser.

The club, the fans and himself.

If he was playing alongside Shearer for about 3 seasons then he may consider but Shearers last season he'll be unsure. You got to feel sorry for Owen though scoring 15+ goals in his first season 2nd top scorer was he? only to Ronaldo while being benched most of the time. And then bang Robinho and Baptisa as well as Ronaldo and Raul.

6631[/snapback]

Must admit I am. I loathe The Sun , yet when compared to the Mirror, The Sun doesnt seem as bad, somehow !

But i quite like the Telegraph, hate the Guardian 'cos they're all rabid bull dykes, or islamic fanatics that write for them ! Their football writers are more snottily anti-north-east than any real right wing tory rag even - and the Independent is a waste of paper pulp. The Mail is also pompous, but nowhere near as bad as the Grauniad, the Express a bit better - at least on the football side it is, anyway. Just dont look at the politics or you'll wet yourself laughing or tear it to rags. The Times, well to be honest, I cant recall reading the Times for years. Dont they have that knob Mose or somesuch writing for them ? And didnt MacManaman write for them ? I recall reading his column once and spent most of the time sniggering. And it wasnt meant to be funny. :lol:

I quite like Hugh McIlveney (sp?) and Brian Glanville (Sunday Times/Times). I have a particular loathing for Sue Mott; how anyone gave that bint a job is beyond me, I mean you could maybe imagine how if she wasn't such a dog :lol:

6631[/snapback]

Must admit I am. I loathe The Sun , yet when compared to the Mirror, The Sun doesnt seem as bad, somehow !

But i quite like the Telegraph, hate the Guardian 'cos they're all rabid bull dykes, or islamic fanatics that write for them ! Their football writers are more snottily anti-north-east than any real right wing tory rag even - and the Independent is a waste of paper pulp. The Mail is also pompous, but nowhere near as bad as the Grauniad, the Express a bit better - at least on the football side it is, anyway. Just dont look at the politics or you'll wet yourself laughing or tear it to rags. The Times, well to be honest, I cant recall reading the Times for years. Dont they have that knob Mose or somesuch writing for them ? And didnt MacManaman write for them ? I recall reading his column once and spent most of the time sniggering. And it wasnt meant to be funny. :lol:

6911[/snapback]

Fair comment Phil, I don't dismiss any paper on it's sports section just find that certain journos are pompous hacks and some seem to know what they are talking about. I wonder sometimes if some of them, particularly ref the papers which are aimed at people who are more interested in politics and business, if these journos are really not that bothered about football and are just going through the motions and writing about sport because they are assigned it by their editors.

I also can't stand Harry Harris, who has an anti NUFC agenda without a doubt. As Dan says, Henry Winters vendetta against Lee Bowyer is now becoming silly. In the words of a player, Bowyer could easily say to Winter "who are you to talk about me like that, you're just a pompous journalist"..and indeed he'd be right.

This Louise woman who hates Newcastle because she's a mackem. To put across views such as she does isn't really very professional because she makes it too obvious.

I remember spotty Steve Cram hosting one of those quiz shows that showed Collymores last minute winner in the 4-3 game at anfield, and the daft shite said something like "i enjoyed that". Now, when did you ever see an ex Newcastle player making a comment like that about sunderland ? No, I haven't either, because they have gone about their business professionally.

I'm not saying I like the Mirror, I don't - their politics are too leftie for me, like the Guardian, but I do like Brian Reade he has a way of saying things which grasp them properly with no punches pulled, even when I don't agree, and he writes political and sport columns in the same way.

The Mail is a womans paper. I don't mean that in a sexist way [honestly girls] but it's just full of fashion things and is also an old nazi ultra right wing rag to boot.

Of course the other tabloids are rags, in fact all papers are really, mostly they are just something to read on the bog at the end of the day, except the bigger ones take more folding in a confined space.

EDIT. Agree with Alex that Glanville is good, he should be as he's been a football commentator and reporter for years, but he is.

Edited by LeazesMag

Whatever the situation with Owen, we absolutely must not sign Anelka.

The prospect of the ego Souness trying to manage the ego Anelka is frankly something that only a fat lunatic with an absolutely massive ego would contemplate.

......which is unfortunate.

The prospect of the ego Souness trying to manage the ego Anelka is frankly something that only a fat lunatic with an absolutely massive ego would contemplate.

6951[/snapback]

Anelka-Shearer-Ameobi-Chopra

or

Shearer-Ameobi-Chopra

?

6951[/snapback]

Who else then? Viduka?

6951[/snapback]

The problem we have now mancy, is that Anelka is the best of a bad bunch. Which shows what we've become sadly.

I too can see Anelka walking away from this club in the huff at some point, but I'd rather have him than Viduka. The depressing facts really.

Anelka shouldn't come into the reckoning in any circumstances during the close season. The fact that he has is just horrendous.

Not only does Anelka have an ego the size of Medina's waist, but he also has a consortium of 'advisors' who are quite simply his brothers using him as a meal ticket. He is effectively one source of income which must be stretched across three people. Anelka gets his wages come what may every week however the only way his 'advisors' get their payoff is when he moves to another club. Which he does with alarming frequency. This is bad enough as at best you know he's only going to be a temporary fixture (one season, maybe two), but that I can live with-far worse than that is the fact that, in order to ready Anelka for another move his 'advisors' have to spend the final weeks/months of a season unsettling him and causing a load of shite that, quite frankly we dont need any more of on top of everything else. Not that I'm suggesting the club is badly managed already. Oh no. Far from it like.

I'd honestly take fatty Viduka over Anelka. And that really is saying an awful lot.

The Viduka comment is of course only valid if Blaydon has seen him on a beach this summer and can swear that he's lost a few pounds. I realise he's not exactly shit-off-a-stainless-steel-shovel when he's 9 months pregnant with pies!

With reports that Owen's reprasentatives are having talks with Man Yoo today, there is talk that Smith and Saha may become available/pissed off.

I believe that ManYoo will be favourites to get Owen(as long as Chelsea/Arse don't enter the 'race'), would this free up Smith for a move here?

Shearergol, you've stated on a few occassions that Smith/Souness/Shearer are all massive admirers of each other, like some sort of disgusting menage-a-trois, do you reckon something could be on the cards? Or is Smithy staying, to play in a more withdrawn role this season at ManYoo?

I wouldn't be the biggest fan of Saha, unless we were to get him on loan.