Player Performances 2013 / 2014

Christmas Tree

Putting Ashley and Pardew to one side, which players have done well, which have been average and which have performed poorly.

Well

Williamson

Tiote

Cabaye

Remy

Average

Debuchy

Krul

Dummet

Haidara

Anita

Gouffran

Sisokko

Poor

Cisse

Ben Arfa

Mbwia

Santon

Taylor

De Jong

Coloccini

Even the likes of Debuchy, Goufran and Sisokko while performing average have been very disappointing, particularly since December, given their potential.

Interesting that the only people to have performed well in your view are players that have a clear mission and start in a specific, consistent position which is never tinkered with.

Does that tell us anything in itself?

Interesting that the only people to have performed well in your view are players that have a clear mission and start in a specific, consistent position which is never tinkered with.

That I've missed Krul playing as striker?

Also I would say Coloccini, Debuchy for starters play in fairly consistent positions.

Dummett will be playing league 1 in a years time. Paul Huntington mould.

Williamson has been average at best. Because people know he isn't premier league standard he gets an easy ride. Those sand wedge esque clearances to neebody were back in full swing on saturday

Also I would say Coloccini, Debuchy for starters play in fairly consistent positions.

But I didn't say that every player that plays in their own position and knows their job will necessarily play well.

But that the ONLY players to have played well, are players that play in their own position and know the drill.

Those are 2 distinct things.

Debuchy's had a good season before injury.

I think he's been average. Hasn't lived up to the glimpses or the billing. I expected him to be tearing down the wing and getting crosses in on a regular basis. We haven't seen much of that this year.

He's just a flash Danny Simpson, flash Danny Siiiiiiiiiiimpson....

See this grain of salt?

udy7yhus.jpg

Well just to the side of it, hardly visible, is a microscopic amoeba that was walking by when the photo was taken.

Well if you look very closely at the amoebas head, you will notice a flake of amoeba dandruff.

That's how much weight I give your tainted French man crush opinions on football.

Edited by Christmas Tree

I think Debuchy deserves to be in the group you've said have done well tbh, we're far far worse off defensively when he's injured. He's looked excellent in some games and often one of the better players on the pitch when he plays.

Calling him Danny Simpson is very unfair, before he settled in that would have been valid enough to say but now he's clearly head and shoulders above the bloke. He clearly aims for people when he crosses and despite our strikers being woeful he has 4 assists, Danny Simpson on the other hand just lumped the ball in the box without looking. Defensively he's on another planet to Simpson, he uses the sideline excellently and doesn't just back off into the box like Simpson used to. If the rumoured move to Bayern comes off he'll look fucking immense crossing balls to Lewandowski and having strong defensive partners alongside him.

Debuchy has been good for the most part this season. Clearly our best player behind Cabaye and Remy.

Williamson has done well for his limited ability.

Tiote has massively improved since his poor performance last term but he has tailed away somewhat since Cabaye has gone (doesn't surprise me in the least given we've been a farce since then).

Gouffran started well but has looked very poor recently and in fact done very little since the turn of the year.

Sissoko has been a big part of the team and created a fair bit but I think he's been overall disapointing. This may very well be due to him never playing in his right position. Fuck knows what that is at this stage though.

Krul has been poor apart from the Spurs away game when he was unbelievable.

Colo has been poor of late. I'm wondering whether he has lost a bit of appetite or just faith in the manager.

Anita looks out of his depth at the moment but that's no doubt got a lot to do with the incomplete team we have and the incompetent manager.

Cisse's goal return has been shocking but there have been several times recently when I've thought he's been our best player. Really he's only been in the team when we've been struggling though so you have to consider that.

Santon has stuggled I think. He doesn't really seem to have progressed much since we signed him. He is only about the same age as Dummet (I agree with Jamouse's opinion of him) though so I don't think he's a right off by any means.

HBA has been poor any way you look at it. I think Pardew has a lot to do with that (playing him as a striker is stupid as is bringing him on for ten minutes at the end and expecting him to change a game then complaining that he loses the ball when he's trying too hard to produce some magic) but he has to stand up and take responsibility too. He seems to have lost all interest now and I really can't see him playing for us again.

Mbiwa had started playing well when he took over from Colo. It was a little unfair on him to lose his place in the team (but he can't play with Colo so it's understandable that happened). He is not a fullback though and has pretty much looked awful every time he plays there. Still think he can do it for us in the centre as long as hes paired with someone like Williamson (though preferably better) who will be more up for the physical battle.

De Jong has looked awful. I wouldn't sign him for free and it really does concern me that our scouts suggested someone who looks so completely out of his depth in the premier league (actually he's starting to look like he's never played football before). I'm extremely worried that we will actually sign him too.

Edited by David Kelly

I agree with all of David Kelly's list except I don't think Sissoko has been disappointing. I think he's one of the few players we have left who you feel could contribute anything in terms of attacking play.

I'm a huge Gouffran fan but there's no denying he's gone completely off the boil as of late. Looks completely disinterested and he's not the only one.

Potential outgoings this summer: Remy/de Jong (loans will end), Shola/Gosling (leaving on frees), Colo (has wanted to leave for ages), Ben Arfa (manager doesn't want him and he doesn't want to be here), Krul (plenty of teams could use a keeper of his quality), Debuchy (too good to be playing here at present), possibly Cisse, other fringe players like Taylor/Jonas/Obertan/Marveaux/Amalfitano.

That scenario, which I don't even think is particularly pessimistic, would leave us with:

Cisse (maybe) Gouffran

Sammy Ameobi Anita Tiote Sissoko

Haidara MYM Williamson Santon

Elliott

And that is an XI that would surely be relegated. Investment is needed. The fat man must know that, or if he doesn't, there must be someone at the club who's enough of a man to tell him so. But who? Not Pardew...probably not Charnley...Carr? Wasn't the appointment of Kinnear intended to weaken Carr's position? Is he out of favour with Ashley?

Either way the situation is dire.

I agree with all of David Kelly's list except I don't think Sissoko has been disappointing. I think he's one of the few players we have left who you feel could contribute anything in terms of attacking play.

It's really only that I think Sissoko is capable of more why I would say he's been disapointing. I feel he has the attributes to really boss the midfield but he's not done that enough. Maybe I'm expecting too much from him. But I agree he's one of the only ones that I think can produce anything going forward.

I think Krul will stay as no one is really in dire need of a keeper in European football that I can think of and it will take a bit of money to get him to leave and I don't think GK's nowadays are players that clubs wanna spend millions on.

Milan would be a good shout

Danny Simpson used to score and clear stuff off the line and stuff and more stuff.

A lot of the things he cleared off the line were as a result of him losing his man, I never minded Simpson tbh he was a capable lower prem/upper championship full back but Debuchy is a clear step up from him.

• 2 weeks later...