Jump to content
Tooj

The History Thread

Recommended Posts

Just finished reading this which is a cracking account of the fall of the Soviet Empire and its satellite states.
revolution_main_1457881f.jpg
Now started on a book about the Gulag which has already opened my eyes quite a bit. As I wasn't aware that they were started out as a way of making money for the government and not just as a means of oppression.
Gulag_Anne-Applebaum.jpg
I truly love history. Even though I was quite academic at school without really being arsed, history was the only subject I took a real interest in and since then my interest in all kinds of history has just grown and grown.

Anybody else on here got the history bug? If so what kind of history do you have a major interest in? Can anybody recommend good documentaries on your specifc subject of interest?
I'm also going through the Melvyn Bragg In Our Time History and Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts. Not sure if anybody has any that they advocate as well?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like what is termed in school textbooks as "the dark ages", especially as it applied locally, I.e. the ancient kingdom of Northumbria and how the early kingdoms of England and Scotland were formed.

 

Alaistair Moffat has written screeds on the subject, he s very good and we do of course share the same old school tie :D

 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alistair-Moffat/e/B001IU0L4Q

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love stuff from the classical period, from the Greek states to the Roman Republic and their politics and civil wars. I've read quite a few decent books on the subject.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm a history teacher, this is kind of my thing. I love the feudal period of Europe but my real passion is the history of the Ottoman Empire. I spent my honeymoon in Istanbul (somewhere you must see before you die) and was amazed by how well preserved both the Byzantine and Ottoman structures and legacy are there.

 

My day job is teaching U.S. history, however. Not my passion but interesting enough, I suppose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did a archaeology course which was just a basic starters thing whilst out of work many years ago. Unfortunately had to give it up as I couldn't afford the travelling expenses and I had to get a job when I had the chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I'm a history teacher, this is kind of my thing. I love the feudal period of Europe but my real passion is the history of the Ottoman Empire. I spent my honeymoon in Istanbul (somewhere you must see before you die) and was amazed by how well preserved both the Byzantine and Ottoman structures and legacy are there.

 

My day job is teaching U.S. history, however. Not my passion but interesting enough, I suppose.

 

Part-time job is it?

 

;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Part-time job is it?

 

;)

I was going to ask what he did the other 51 weeks of the year.....

 

It would be interesting to know if it's taught from the same biased pov as british history is and how distorted that is - I always found it funny after leaving school how little gems of truth which were covered up changed things so much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought this recently (haven't read it yet like) but it's meant to be class.

 

article-2522449-1A0D6A6D00000578-392_306

 

United Northumbria, but was killed in battle by the Welsh :(

 

Cheers Tooj , may well have a gander at thet myself :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US history in this country is an exercise in self-delusion. Textbooks whitewash it to such a degree that it's ludicrous. I shudder to think how America's history is taught in the 46 states between NY and CA, but luckily we're progressive in New York, and I also have the advantage of teaching mostly immigrants (something like 96% of our school is kids from the Dominican Republic, with the other 4% black - no white kids at all in our 600-strong school) so I'm getting kids who haven't already been brainwashed into thinking Andrew Jackson was a hero or that America has always been a champion of democracy (tell that to Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Nicaragua, Haiti, etc before even getting into the modern era.)

 

Kids here take 2 years of US in middle school (grades 7 and 8), one more in high school (grade 9), and 2 years of global history in 10 and 11 before a class on economics and government in grade 12.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

US history in this country is an exercise in self-delusion. Textbooks whitewash it to such a degree that it's ludicrous. I shudder to think how America's history is taught in the 46 states between NY and CA, but luckily we're progressive in New York, and I also have the advantage of teaching mostly immigrants (something like 96% of our school is kids from the Dominican Republic, with the other 4% black - no white kids at all in our 600-strong school) so I'm getting kids who haven't already been brainwashed into thinking Andrew Jackson was a hero or that America has always been a champion of democracy (tell that to Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines, Nicaragua, Haiti, etc before even getting into the modern era.)

 

Kids here take 2 years of US in middle school (grades 7 and 8), one more in high school (grade 9), and 2 years of global history in 10 and 11 before a class on economics and government in grade 12.

When I was at school we did a little bit about Ford motors for some reason and my eldest daughter is doing the same almost thirty years later! 2-3,000 years of history and a few weeks learning about the T model? :unsure2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×