Mehdi Abeid

EverGreen

Abeid is a prime example of our crap coaching staff. If he had stayed instead of going on loan would he have been the player he is turning out to be. The answer is a definite NO. For once a player went to a club where the coaches knew their job and although he was only a loan player obviously spent a lot of time working on his game. We just seem to send out players on loan without ANY thought if they are going to the right club. Apart from Abeid can anyone name one player who has looked as if he has improved when he came back from his loan period. Why do clubs not send their players here on loan. The answer is obvious.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fringe players seeking first team experience are unlikely to end up at a mid-table PL club on loan because they're unlikely to get game time If they were good enough to start they'd probably be coming off the bench for Man Utd. (or whoever). Which PL clubs with a similar status are well known for taking other clubs players on loan and developing them? Can't think of an example. Loaning the like of Loic Remy is totally different. So aye, the answer is obvious.

We need this lad back in the team, he looked the full package in his spell in the side earlier this season. Strong, quick and a good range of passing. Just needs confidence.

There's no way at the beginning of the season I would have said that Jack Colback and Abeid were our first choice central midfielders*.

*I mean these two being the engine of the team, with Sissoko playing ahead of them

Not sure I'd go that far like. He looked like he had improved a hell of a lot over the time he'd been away and he looked a lot better suited to our league than Anita does but the full package is pushing it.

Not afraid to put himself about, turn of pace and accomplished on the ball. He's far from the finished article but he has all the attributes to be a top player for us IMO.

• 1 year later...

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/mehdi-abeid-wanted-top-european-11143789

Mehdi Abeid would be interested in a return to Newcastle United next season - even if they are relegated to the Championship.

The Chronicle understands that the midfielder is still fond of the club and still has ambitions to prove himself in front of the United faithful at first team level.

It is believed that Abeid never wanted to leave Newcastle but was told he wasn’t part of the club’s long-term plans.

However, after leaving United last summer he has proved to be a hit with Panathinaikos and has attracted the attention of watching scouts across Europe.

Indeed, Abeid has already been linked with a move to Portuguese giants FC Porto but there is also interest from Marseille and Valencia in the midfielder.

Despite interest from around Europe, Abeid loved life at Newcastle and is thought to be keen on returning to Tyneside.

Newcastle received an undisclosed fee for Abeid when he left the club and is now valued at £3million.

A source close to Abeid told the Chronicle: “If Newcastle want Mehdi next season he’d be happy to come back and help the team - even if they drop into the Championship.”

Abeid made 21 appearances for Newcastle after arriving Lens in 2011.

I'd have him back, for sure.

Young, energetic, good passer and as already mentioned a far better player than the absolute dross we've had in midfield this season. Bossed midfields with Steven Gerrard and Yaya Toure in last season. Can't see Colback doing that tbh.

He's ok, the Chronicle are surely talking shite about FC Porto etc wanting him as if he wants to come here over them he's off his fucking rocker or he just misses the diamond strip.

At 3m I'm not entirely convinced mind, it's not like he gets many assists but I do think he's a bit better than Colback and Anita.

He had a couple of good games when the team went against type and also played well. Then he got injured again and when he came back he was poor. It never ceases to amaze me how he had a couple of decent games and all of a sudden supporters were saying he had this and that in his locker. Apart from the those couple of games he was bang average and no one could even make out what type of midfielder he was supposed to be. I don't rate Colback or Anita but they've both had more good games than Abeid and everyone is calling them shite. There was a reason he was deemed surplus to requirements and only German second division or Greek teams were interested in him.

Of course another season of first team football might have improved him but when he was here looked worse than what we already have.

I think the lad is a bit tidier in his passing than them two and a little more positive in his play, that's why I say he's probably a little bit better but I view all three of them as lower Prem / Upper Championship type of player.

Anita will play RB when Janmaat leaves

I fucking hope not. I actually fancy Anita to be one who goes in the summer. I certainly hope so.

Actually I think I'm being a bit harsh on Abeid. I don't actually think he's necessarily a bad player. He never really had enough games to show one way or another. It's the amount of people who jumped on those couple of good games annoys me, when most of the (limited) games he played were nowhere near that standard. But he was a young lad who had never had much of a go so it was never fair to write him off either.

Anita will play RB when Janmaat leaves

Not Mbabu or Sterry?

Dummett & Haidara likely to be our options at LB, surely.

Unless he has come on a lot this season I don't view any of them as premiership players but I imagine two of them could do a job for us next season. I think Anita will be even less effective in the championship.

I can see that, I mean by lower prem I'm more meaning they should be squad players rather than lads that are starting 30+ prem games.

Fully agree about Anita though, the championship won't suit him at all (not that he's any use in the Prem mind), it's just so full of cloggers and I think size is much more important down there.

Dummett is definately going to be our LB in the championship and to be fair he'll be a good fullback in that league.

Haidara and Dummett are both crocked though, always get injured at the the same time too. We'll have more games to play in the championship too so we need another left back

Haidara and Dummett are both crocked though, always get injured at the the same time too. We'll have more games to play in the championship too so we need another left back

We do aye but Mike Ashley is our owner, Dummett and Haidara will both be capable in the Championship so that'll be good enough for Ashley and co, the fact they have both missed their fair share of games won't impact that for Ashley imo. He'll roll the dice on having at least 1 of them fit for every game.

I wouldn't mind dummet at centre half in the championship. If I have to endure more of the cunt at left back I expect I'll have to start hurting myself